Market Drayton visitor moorings to close

MHS

Featured Posts

Just now, Heartland said:

July to September is a long time to put up signage. As this is peak summer, and lockdown finally easing this would seem to be the wrong time.

I wonder how the boaters are actually affected, are there parts where the boats can moor or will it be a case of Market Drayton is shut come back in the Autumn.

It seems to be MD is shut for boaters - no way into the town from Victoria Bridge and from Aqueduct three it's a very steep set of unpleasant steps and a drag up a narrow road.

If the railway companies provide rail replacement services for passengers when a line is closed for maintenance. Could, or should, CRT provide a free transport link to the shops for boaters at the nearest sensible accessible point ? 

Just now, Heartland said:

If the railway companies provide rail replacement services for passengers when a line is closed for maintenance. Could, or should, CRT provide a free transport link to the shops for boaters at the nearest sensible accessible point ? 

As they don’t even guarantee water under your boat this is unlikely! 

C&RT explain that they already build a 'discount' into the licence fees because they know that you will not get unlimited use of the waterways.

9.2 The Licence fees are calculated on the assumption that you will be affected by closures from time to time and accordingly refunds of Licence fees will not be made for closures as described in this Condition 9.

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

It seems to be MD is shut for boaters - no way into the town from Victoria Bridge and from Aqueduct three it's a very steep set of unpleasant steps and a drag up a narrow road.

Perhaps someone who knows all the hire companies over there can get them involved too, that's a lot of holidays having to replan routes, food  and stops if there's no Market Drayton.

Edited by matty40s

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

I wonder how the boaters are actually affected, are there parts where the boats can moor or will it be a case of Market Drayton is shut come back in the Autumn.

As others have said, there will be nowhere nearby to moor. 
if you don’t know the Shropshire Union well, Market Drayton is one of just two bigger places (the other being Nantwich, if you ignore Chester on the north section) that have larger supermarkets, a range of restaurants, pubs and other services. 

On 28/06/2021 at 17:31, Rob-M said:

The only signs at the moment are between bridge 63 and 68, there is nothing between the aquaduct and bridge 63. Towpath is a good surface, no puddles in the pouring rain.

The stoppage notice shows moorings closed up to the aqueduct, I think. I suspect it will be ignored, certainly at weekends when no-one will be working.

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

The stoppage notice shows moorings closed up to the aqueduct, I think. I suspect it will be ignored, certainly at weekends when no-one will be working.

I’m tempted to ignore it anyway! I will be passing that way…I think it’s time boaters started being bolshy…especially those using the system rather than just being welded to to towpath in one spot. 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

This has just been added to the Twitter thread.....

Hi there, excuse the thread that will follow... This work is part of a wider towpath improvement scheme in the region, part funded by a grant from the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) Rural Tourism Infrastructure programme.

The funding is time limited, so we’ve taken the difficult decision to carry out the works in the summer months. We’re focused on complete towpath closure to get the works done quickly and efficiently to avoid closing any longer than we have to.

We’re keeping the customer facilities at Market Drayton open during the works. We are working with the Town Council to communicate this with local residents The aim is to complete the works ahead of the planned Market Drayton Festival in September.

Needless to say I have made my feelings known in a another email to CRT...about 2km of roads in our marina have just been planed/concrete base laid/tarred & topped in just over a week!

Im still planning on using the mooring whatever state its in....I shall look forward to seeing what happens!

• Greenie 1

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

I can see no reason why you can't moor there, even if the towpath and access to the town aren't usable. Unless they're going to rip all the rings out and replace them.

Who says anything about replacing the rings??They will probably be considered a hazard to the speeding cyclists 

34 minutes ago, MHS said:

Having just had a response this afternoon from Market Drayton council, I get the impression they didn’t know about it before I got in touch the a day or so back!

Let’s hope they make their feelings known!  

1 hour ago, JamesWoolcock said:

But the Twitter feed you posted gave the impression that CRT was already in contact with the Council.

Probably means that CRT included them in the twitter distribution list of the stoppage email.

3 hours ago, frangar said:

This has just been added to the Twitter thread.....

Hi there, excuse the thread that will follow... This work is part of a wider towpath improvement scheme in the region, part funded by a grant from the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) Rural Tourism Infrastructure programme.

The funding is time limited, so we’ve taken the difficult decision to carry out the works in the summer months. We’re focused on complete towpath closure to get the works done quickly and efficiently to avoid closing any longer than we have to.

We’re keeping the customer facilities at Market Drayton open during the works. We are working with the Town Council to communicate this with local residents The aim is to complete the works ahead of the planned Market Drayton Festival in September.

Needless to say I have made my feelings known in a another email to CRT...about 2km of roads in our marina have just been planed/concrete base laid/tarred & topped in just over a week!

Im still planning on using the mooring whatever state its in....I shall look forward to seeing what happens!

I like the fact that local businesses aren't even considered worthy of notifying. I bet they've not told any of the boat yards to tell their customers to NOT plan a stop at Market Drayton for anything other than the CRT services.

15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Well from the couple of responses I've had, the hire companies obviously weren't considered when our local CRT 17 mile fishing competition was organised or announced.

I hope they have made suitable noises to crt about how this might not be making life better by water for them or their customers. 

I have received an email from Market Drayton council this morning from a councillor who has been in touch with CRT for a while. So they were aware of the situation, but obviously not delighted as per the timing. I just hope that CRT at least do the work in separate phases. 

Edited by MHS
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

I have received an email from Market Drayton council this morning from a councillor who has been in touch with CRT for a while. So they were aware of the situation, but obviously not delighted as per the timing. I just hope that CRT at least do the work in separate phases. 

CRT have said that their contractor is not capable of doing the work in separate phases - it's an all or nothing affair.