Market Drayton visitor moorings to close

MHS

Featured Posts

This seems to be a positive step forward.

The mention of the link to the CRT Birmingham office, is also of use. The said gentleman's team on the said notice changed the arrangements for the BCN 250 cavalcade in November 2019, so that even the boaters did not know what was going on and to have them run along a section that was not completed at the time of BCN 250 shows the lack of knowledge the CRT team had. I did mention this to Mr Parry at the time..

The sooner Mr Saif stands down the better!  

I see another update to the stoppage and now being done in sections.

Notice Alert

Shropshire Union Canal
Location: Towpath between Victoria Bridge and Market Drayton Aqueduct, Shropshire Union Canal
Starts At: Bridge 65, Victoria Bridge
Ends At: Aqueduct 3, Market Drayton Aqueduct

Monday 12 July 2021 08:00 until Monday 20 September 2021 18:00

Type: Towpath Closure
Reason: (Re)Construction

Update on 09/07/2021:

To most effectively maintain access to moorings and the town during the works, these will be run in a series of phases:

Sect 1: Berresford Road to Newcastle Road.

Closed from Monday 19th July

Open from Wednesday 4th August

Sect 2: Newcastle Road to Betton Road

Closed from Weds 4th August

Open from Tues 17th August

Sect 3: Betton Road to the A53.

Closed from Tuesday 17th August

Open from Monday 6th September

Sect 4: A53 to Maer Lane.

Closed from Mon 19th July

Open from Monday 20th September

To keep you safe, we’ll be managing the sections as follows:

• Sections marked as ‘Open’ will be fully available for mooring, walking and using access points during the periods indicated
  • Sections marked as ‘Closed’  will have no access for either boats or towpath users during the periods indicated
  • The customer service facilities will remain available for supervised access throughout.

Please note that as a result of this phased approach, the works are likely to take a little longer to complete, but we’re confident of completion ahead of the floating market and the Ginger & Spice Festival.

26 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I see another update to the stoppage and now being done in sections.

Notice Alert

Shropshire Union Canal
Location: Towpath between Victoria Bridge and Market Drayton Aqueduct, Shropshire Union Canal
Starts At: Bridge 65, Victoria Bridge
Ends At: Aqueduct 3, Market Drayton Aqueduct

Monday 12 July 2021 08:00 until Monday 20 September 2021 18:00

Type: Towpath Closure
Reason: (Re)Construction

Update on 09/07/2021:

To most effectively maintain access to moorings and the town during the works, these will be run in a series of phases:

Sect 1: Berresford Road to Newcastle Road.

Closed from Monday 19th July

Open from Wednesday 4th August

Sect 2: Newcastle Road to Betton Road

Closed from Weds 4th August

Open from Tues 17th August

Sect 3: Betton Road to the A53.

Closed from Tuesday 17th August

Open from Monday 6th September

Sect 4: A53 to Maer Lane.

Closed from Mon 19th July

Open from Monday 20th September

To keep you safe, we’ll be managing the sections as follows:

• Sections marked as ‘Open’ will be fully available for mooring, walking and using access points during the periods indicated
  • Sections marked as ‘Closed’  will have no access for either boats or towpath users during the periods indicated
  • The customer service facilities will remain available for supervised access throughout.

Please note that as a result of this phased approach, the works are likely to take a little longer to complete, but we’re confident of completion ahead of the floating market and the Ginger & Spice Festival.

I think there was a lot of pressure from boaters, hire companies and the town which has forced this element of common sense into the proceedings.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I think there was a lot of pressure from boaters, hire companies and the town which has forced this element of common sense into the proceedings.

There was a meeting on the towpath yesterday morning with what looked like local business representatives and a lady from CRT discussing the works, they were right outside our boat having their discussion. One chap felt that improving the path at Tyrley would give the greatest benefit.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

And as a further update to this.....The whole length of mooring is very much open at the moment with no signs of any work on the whole length of the moorings.....just as well really as they are 90% full!!

The signs are still up saying work will start on the 12th July however....Ive asked CRT for an update on what's actually happening and will of course report back if I hear anything

IMG_6860copy.jpg.49ac3e3bb3e45dfa2edb5e8b8b5d0c15.jpg

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

A triumph for common sense. See, C&RT do listen, eventually, when the thumb screws are tightened.

Perhaps they have gone off in a huff? Or flounced?

Apart from the latest stoppage notice thats still live on the website contradicts this sign....and says no mooring in the work areas!....but as there arent any work areas at the moment all is good!

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Apart from the latest stoppage notice thats still live on the website contradicts this sign....and says no mooring in the work areas!....but as there arent any work areas at the moment all is good!

That is fine if you gamble on arriving and still being able to moor but what we found with the Great Haywood stoppage was boaters planned around it and stayed in other locations rather than boating there so there was no work and no boats other than those that never look at stoppage notices. I guess if Market Drayton is full then be plenty have presumed they would still be able to moor.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

That is fine if you gamble on arriving and still being able to moor but what we found with the Great Haywood stoppage was boaters planned around it and stayed in other locations rather than boating there so there was no work and no boats other than those that never look at stoppage notices. I guess if Market Drayton is full then be plenty have presumed they would still be able to moor.

Agreed. I totally understand if the start of the works is delayed for any reason but amend the stoppage notice and change the notices on the site to say so. I was fully expecting not to find a space here and was more than a little surprised to see boats moored as normal. I do wonder how many have changed plans needlessly. 

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

Agreed. I totally understand if the start of the works is delayed for any reason but amend the stoppage notice and change the notices on the site to say so. I was fully expecting not to find a space here and was more than a little surprised to see boats moored as normal. I do wonder how many have changed plans needlessly. 

The amendment to the stoppage notice was published so perhaps many did read it and expect there to be moorings?

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

The amendment to the stoppage notice was published so perhaps many did read it and expect there to be moorings?

But the section I’m currently on should be closed according to the stoppage notice…and no work is taking place on the stretch at all. 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Another pointless post from yourself I see….

Why the unpleasantness? It was I who contacted C&RT and suggested a phased contract. It was I who raised the loss of revenue to the town. It was I who advised them that the hire companies would not be impressed if they closed all the moorings. But am not in the least bothered that they are not working on the moorings.

The fact that they have no commenced work is not my concern, does it really upset you that the mighty C&RT have decided to do something different from the Master Plan?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Why the unpleasantness? It was I who contacted C&RT and suggested a phased contract. It was I who raised the loss of revenue to the town. It was I who advised them that the hire companies would not be impressed if they closed all the moorings. But am not in the least bothered that they are not working on the moorings.

The fact that they have no commenced work is not my concern, does it really upset you that the mighty C&RT have decided to do something different from the Master Plan?

You weren’t alone in raising it. I also raised it along with others on here…and at quite a high level within CRT. But some of us just get on with it rather than spout off. 

I’m just raising awareness that the moorings are open should others wish to use them. I’m more miffed that the stoppage notice hasn’t been updated as some may be avoiding the area. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

As the OP on the thread, I like many of us contacted CRT and Market Drayton council with the same suggestion. There’s no need to point score here, we surely all have the same aim. 

• Greenie 4
  • Unimpressed 1

On 21/07/2021 at 15:45, Rob-M said:

we found with the Great Haywood stoppage was boaters planned around it and stayed in other locations rather than boating there 

The difference being that there is little to stop for at Great Haywood, and plenty of capacity below the lock or round in Tixall. Market Drayton on the other hand is the only place for miles where you can stock up with supplies or find somewhere to eat/drink. 

• Greenie 1

Just a quick update 

As we left Market Drayton I found the works

They appear to be doing the section from Maer Lane (Bridge 65) to the A53 (Bridge 64) which to be fair is booked on the updated stoppage notice as closed from 19th July to 20th Sept.

However this doesnt explain why the work isnt happening from Beresford Rd to Newcastle Rd….but Im not complaining about that as It would knock out a long length of mooring…at both ends of Market Drayton. Just an updated notice to explain whats going on would be handy.

One thing that did amuse me was the poor contractors carrying the wooden shuttering from the A53 bridge a fair way by hand along the works having been taken to the bridge by van…..when there was a couple of motor work flats tied up at the yard in Market Drayton….if only there was a stretch of water along the work site that could be used from the yard to the site…….its not like it was one of the hottest days on record……
IMG_6879.jpg.918b13511421c4942572f47e4ddf038b.jpg

On 28/06/2021 at 13:50, frangar said:

Seems from this twitter thread its the first Talbot Wharf at Market Drayton had heard of it as well

Which is a pretty poor show. 

So what are you suggesting? Tell the wharf guest and have them spread the word via towpath telegraph? Then boaters would complain they they had not been told? No win. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

So what are you suggesting? Tell the wharf guest and have them spread the word via towpath telegraph? Then boaters would complain they they had not been told? No win. 

As a business boating customer I would have thought it might have been courtesy for them to be consulted about the closure or had some advance warning.