Market Drayton visitor moorings to close

MHS

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

This towpath project is funded by Rural Payments Agency under EFRAD Rural Tourism Infrastructure. Works to be carried out include improving towpath surface and orientation signage. 

This isnt essential maintenance.

Why oh why do CRT keep.shooting themselves in the foot doing stuff like this at peak boating season on possibly the busiest ever year on the canals. I've no doubt they will announce a 15 mile national angling competition soon somewhere busy as well.

Then as a user and someone who's concerned you should make your views known to CRT. I'm not on a CRT waterway so it doesn't affect me, but I'm aware that whenever they don't do maintenance (essential or otherwise) you're all complaining too, so my point that they can't win either way still stands.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A few weeks ago they closed all the visitor moorings at Great Hayward, so you couldn't shop there either.  Seriously good planning, this.

The Great Haywood situation is still ongoing. The towpath is blocked off. I'd guess another two weeks before it all looks pretty.

13 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

The Great Haywood situation is still ongoing. The towpath is blocked off. I'd guess another two weeks before it all looks pretty.

That's the new masterplan. Close the navigation down in winter for maintenance, and the towpaths in summer for the same. Obviously doing both at the same time would be ridiculous.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The only signs at the moment are between bridge 63 and 68, there is nothing between the aquaduct and bridge 63. Towpath is a good surface, no puddles in the pouring rain.

If at all possible can you either post some pics or DM me etc....Id love to send them to CRT to prove a point....and feel free to write in yourself if you have time.

1 minute ago, Slim said:

Of VERY unreliable boat that breakdown requiring difficult to obtain parts

Or needing lots of reverse to clear the prop......

48 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Then as a user and someone who's concerned you should make your views known to CRT. I'm not on a CRT waterway so it doesn't affect me, but I'm aware that whenever they don't do maintenance (essential or otherwise) you're all complaining too, so my point that they can't win either way still stands.

CRT know about it and obviously dont give a stuff as they have previously done this on the Shroppie and in Loughborough that I have experienced. I wouldnt normally go out when it's so busy anyway unless I could get off the beaten path.

It's not me I'm thinking about, it's the people with a holiday deadline, or restaurant booked in advance that it's going to mess up.

I have emailed a heads up to all the hire boat bases which send boats along this stretch so they can forward plan for late returns, disrupted training and possible problems mooring up for lunch for their customers, which I think is a far more helpful and productive use of my time

• Greenie 2

58 minutes ago, frangar said:

If at all possible can you either post some pics or DM me etc....Id love to send them to CRT to prove a point....and feel free to write in yourself if you have time.

Or needing lots of reverse to clear the prop......

It's p@££ing down at the moment, if it stops I'll take some pics or if not I'll take some n the morning before we head off.

Also, the moorings are nearly full as they are popular.

• Love 1

Just now, Rob-M said:

It's p@££ing down at the moment, if it stops I'll take some pics or if not I'll take some n the morning before we head off.

Also, the moorings are nearly full as they are popular.

That would be amazing if you have time. Thanks. I’m not surprised they are full…crazy to stop them 

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Tsskk,  fair weather boaters....?

I did plenty of boating in today's rain but now we have moored up and I've had a hot shower I didn't want to get wet again.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I did plenty of boating in today's rain but now we have moored up and I've had a hot shower I didn't want to get wet again.

I don’t blame you…I’ve left the boat there in brilliant sunshine & got into the joules pub looking like a drowned rat! Even the barman offered me a towel!…when he had stopped laughing..,to be fair I was laughing too as the rain was biblical! 

13 minutes ago, frangar said:

I don’t blame you…I’ve left the boat there in brilliant sunshine & got into the joules pub looking like a drowned rat! Even the barman offered me a towel!…when he had stopped laughing..,to be fair I was laughing too as the rain was biblical! 

@matty40s made me feel guilty so as it has nearly stopped raining I went out and took a few pics. These are after several hours of heavy rain.

IMG_20210628_195230850.jpg.88171fd8778f12efd39cb373719cf7e7.jpgIMG_20210628_195156875.jpg.574c2c95783648f7329a6b873a57c8ef.jpgIMG_20210628_195144127.jpg.bbb18cbd6728675ac182e77c8bb49855.jpg

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

Moored up there in May, wet day but towpath was OK for boaters needs. Went into town and did our shopping because it is so convenient. As far as i am concerned, the work is not required for boaters so why inconvenience us so much at what are very good and extremely useful moorings.

• Greenie 2

What is meant to be wrong with the towpath based on the photos? What is “Orientation Signage”? A sign with an arrow saying “up”?

I’ve now emailed a friend (an ex-boater) who has a large business in Market Drayton. I’ve asked if she can let fellow business owners know that they will be getting less business. They can all let crt know if they’re unhappy. 

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, MHS said:

What is meant to be wrong with the towpath based on the photos? What is “Orientation Signage”? A sign with an arrow saying “up”?

I’ve now emailed a friend (an ex-boater) who has a large business in Market Drayton. I’ve asked if she can let fellow business owners know that they will be getting less business. They can all let crt know if they’re unhappy. 

According to Talbot Wharf:

We suggested this [[ doing it in sections]] to the Project team: they claimed the contractors couldn't make that work.

So its just CRT Bullshit

Edited by StephenA

I’ve now had a response from Market Drayton council that the town clerk will be looking at the situation. 

I’ve also had a response from crt (included below) who don’t seem bothered about the impact on local businesses. 

Let’s hope that common sense reigns and they either postpone the work or at least do it in stages as has been suggested. 

Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us. 

I am so sorry for how this will impact negatively on you and other boaters. These concerns have been referred to our Regional Team who will update the stoppage notice if there are any changes. 

I must ask for your patience in the meantime, I'm afraid.

Best wishes, 

Clara diniz

Customer Service Advisor

• Greenie 1

July to September is a long time to put up signage. As this is peak summer, and lockdown finally easing this would seem to be the wrong time.

I wonder how the boaters are actually affected, are there parts where the boats can moor or will it be a case of Market Drayton is shut come back in the Autumn.