Market Drayton visitor moorings to close

MHS

Featured Posts

CRT have announced the closure of the visitor moorings for the busiest part of the boating year. I bet the local pubs, shops and hire fleets will be delighted. 
Talk about terrible timing. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20056-towpath-between-victoria-bridge-and-market-drayton-aqueduct-shropshire-union-canal

On the other hand, if they didn't do the required renovation work I expect everyone would be complaining about that. They can't really win. You can't always schedule works when it's most convenient for all users, sometimes things just need to be booked at inconvenient times.

• Greenie 3

11 minutes ago, blackrose said:

On the other hand, if they didn't do the required renovation work I expect everyone would be complaining about that. They can't really win. You can't always schedule works when it's most convenient for all users, sometimes things just need to be booked at inconvenient 

This towpath project is funded by Rural Payments Agency under EFRAD Rural Tourism Infrastructure. Works to be carried out include improving towpath surface and orientation signage. 

This isnt essential maintenance.

Why oh why do CRT keep.shooting themselves in the foot doing stuff like this at peak boating season on possibly the busiest ever year on the canals. I've no doubt they will announce a 15 mile national angling competition soon somewhere busy as well.

• Greenie 4

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Why oh why do CRT keep.shooting themselves in the foot doing stuff like this at peak boating season on possibly the busiest ever year on the canals. I've no doubt they will announce a 15 mile national angling competition soon somewhere busy as well.

already done

14 August

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19968-dodford-road-bridge-east-of-daventry-through-to-bridge-64-at-castlethorpe-grand-union-canal

This is a trip of 17 miles, 6¾ furlongs and 7 locks from Dodford Road Bridge No 23 to Castlethorpe Wharf Bridge No 64.

Edited by StephenA
  • Horror 1

Just now, StephenA said:

Anyone fancy a CWDF boat convoy?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

I find myself thinking that BW weren't that bad after all.....

After 2012 (well maybe let's say 2014) I never doubted that we had taken a huge backwards step.

A 2012 report by KPMG for the Government said that C&RT was not viable on just the Grant and needed to raise additional income which they have consistently failed to do.

Even if budgets were achieved a steady decline in condition of the principal assets was forecast

KPMG said that if the forecast income failed to materialise then the investment in the 'principal' assets would fall by £11.5m

Screenshot (429).png

5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

That's the one they cancelled last year...

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Anyone fancy a CWDF boat convoy?

Im sure we need a pumpout on that day...

• Greenie 1

Just now, matty40s said:

That's the one they cancelled last year...

Im sure we need a pumpout on that day...

Well at 17 miles, which is longer than a lot of boaters will want to do in a day, and if its like the Shroppie one there was basically nowhere to moor, it's going to be a complete and utter fiasco.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Well at 17 miles, which is longer than a lot of boaters will want to do in a day, and if its like the Shroppie one there was basically nowhere to moor, it's going to be a complete and utter fiasco.

I got caught in rhe national a few years ago, had nowhere to moor from the bottom of the Shroppie to Tixall  as well as a few swearing bouts with anglers on lock moorings.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Yeah, we came through there a couple of weeks ago, there were a load of anglers all dressed the same on one patch. Asked them if it was a match, no, apparently they were practicing for the 14 August. Happily told us there'd be around 250 plus fishing that day. Not sure how you practice for a fishing competition, do you have to let the fish know it's not for real and book them to come back a few weeks later ?

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

That's 4 years movement for some C.C.ers

The Mkt Drayton closure will mean there is no convenient access to even minimal supplies from 12 locks down Audlem until Norbury, or Gnosall for more inclusive shopping. And where are all the locals going to empty their dogs, or the cyclists ride with impunity?

Edited by Ex Brummie
  • Haha 1

"This towpath project is funded by Rural Payments Agency under EFRAD Rural Tourism Infrastructure."

Where it says EFRAD i think they actually mean EAFRD, because Google finds me nowt for EFRAD.

"The grants are funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD), which is part of the European Structural Investment Funds (ESIF)."

That would make more sense.

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

"This towpath project is funded by Rural Payments Agency under EFRAD Rural Tourism Infrastructure."

Where it says EFRAD i think they actually mean EAFRD, because Google finds me nowt for EFRAD.

"The grants are funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD), which is part of the European Structural Investment Funds (ESIF)."

It would have done before we left, yes.!!

17 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Why do we tolerate the mass torture of wildlife for fun?

It's not often Scotland make it to a big event though....

European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development ?

If I recall we have now had Brexit and funding from European sources must be treated with a degree of concern.

As such funding must be questioned.

Now if it for improvement to higher cycleway standards, this also must be a matter of concern. This forum has always looked at a balanced view of cyclist on the towpath. Some have expresses negative view, some have been positive about it. Yet the onward march for selective towpath improvement for one group of canal users can be seen as positive discrimination and if the case the CRT may be in breach of their authority.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

On the other hand, if they didn't do the required renovation work I expect everyone would be complaining about that. They can't really win. You can't always schedule works when it's most convenient for all users, sometimes things just need to be booked at inconvenient times.

15 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I didn't intend to quote 2 posts but thats life

In their defence I would suspect that the funding has an expiry date, do it now or don't get the cash