Cropredy festival cancelled for 2021

frangar

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Just a heads up. 

Cropredy festival has been cancelled for this year. Details on the website. Bit rubbish for all concerned not least the crew who have lost out on yet more work with little government support. 

I knew that a decision was expected today but had forgotten to look at their web site this morning. Thanks for the information.

We have attended the last 17 festivals and thus were looking forward keenly to this one. We thought that this year's might go ahead with reduced crowd numbers. Ho-hum.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I knew that a decision was expected today but had forgotten to look at their web site this morning. Thanks for the information.

We have attended the last 17 festivals and thus were looking forward keenly to this one. We thought that this year's might go ahead with reduced crowd numbers. Ho-hum.

Lack of a government backed insurance scheme or other such underwriting should the situation change make it impossible for smaller events sadly unless you are declared a test  event and that's only being given to the chosen few who know whose palms to grease...Sadly I predict that many will cease to exist which I think may be part of the plan if Im honest. 

The costs are fairly fixed even if you reduce capacity...you need a few less loos but thats about it....you cant charge as much for concessions etc so your income is vastly reduced.

Edited to add

I know its not strictly boating but I also know a fair few from here do go by boat!

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1

Yes, we went by boat for several years, sometimes finding a mooring space easily, sometimes not. until we solved the problem by taking a long-term mooring within a few hundred yards of both entrances to the festival. Last weekend we walked down to the farm gate at the bottom end and gazed over the fields which would, in normal times, soon be filling up with equipment, stalls and the like.  The view looked like a typical slice of Middle England: no uninformed person would ever guess that such an event had ever taken place there.

I don't think that a festival which usually attracts between 12,000 and 15,000 people per day can be categorised as a "smaller event"!

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, we went by boat for several years, sometimes finding a mooring space easily, sometimes not. until we solved the problem by taking a long-term mooring within a few hundred yards of both entrances to the festival. Last weekend we walked down to the farm gate at the bottom end and gazed over the fields which would, in normal times, soon be filling up with equipment, stalls and the like.  The view looked like a typical slice of Middle England: no uninformed person would ever guess that such an event had ever taken place there.

I don't think that a festival which usually attracts between 12,000 and 15,000 people per day can be categorised as a "smaller event"!

Im afraid in festival terms it is....I used to be a director of the company which installed all the infrastructure there for many years until I decided that Id have more fun boating over the summer!...

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

There's an art in site 'repair'

In my yoof there used to be a travelling funfair on Lower Purney Common (nether Putney nor Barnes..) which was hugely popular, but after the 'vans and equipment moved on you'd hardly guess that thousands of feet had trampled all ove the site.

Similarly with Bertam Mills Circus travelling show (where I had a winter school holiday job at Olympia) - they took pride in leaving their sites as clean and tidy as possible. No mean feat when their had been large numbers of customers...

• Greenie 1

Just now, OldGoat said:

There's an art in site 'repair'

In my yoof there used to be a travelling funfair on Lower Purney Common (nether Putney nor Barnes..) which was hugely popular, but after the 'vans and equipment moved on you'd hardly guess that thousands of feet had trampled all ove the site.

Similarly with Bertam Mills Circus travelling show (where I had a winter school holiday job at Olympia) - they took pride in leaving their sites as clean and tidy as possible. No mean feat when their had been large numbers of customers...

On a average year we spent about a week after Cropredy sorting the fields out and doing litter sweeps...It does help that all the gateways now have more than a few ton of stone in them...and we put trackway down to stop vehicle damage....plus running roadsweepers through the village on wet years to keep mud off the roads.

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fortunately the New Forest Folk Festival was able to go ahead last weekend.

A couple of Fairport band members were to be seen in the audience.

Fantastic.  Really really wonderful get back to some sort of reality.

Everyone behaved according to the rules, its always very friendly and an excellent selection of music, ales and ciders to be had.

A few videos here, more to be added once I get artist approval.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGHqimQWdAC6LqR6Vp1qaYihIVynhK6O

• Greenie 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Do you and he not get on... history?  do tell!  :) :)

No history, just don't "get" him. That and the way he ruined Roger Water's "Wall" concert in Berlin with his excruciating murder of comfortably numb.

I didn't so much wake up this morning as surface. At some point during the night about thirty years have crept up and kicked the shit out of me. Festivals!

I loved his records with Them. I have the singles 'Baby Please Don't Go', 'Gloria', 'Here Comes The Night' and 'One More Time', all of which are prime British R&B. Since then, I think the only disc I have of his is 'Brown-Eyed Girl'. 

I almost saw him at the Bishopstock festival in 2000, but an onstage fight developed between his roadies and the festival's roadies while they were setting up for him.I think they had differing opinions of how this should be done.  Eventually we left in disgust, so I don't know if he actually appeared or not.

Edited by Athy

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I loved his records with Them. I have the singles 'Baby Please Don't Go', 'Gloria', 'Here Comes The Night' and 'One More Time', all of which are prime British R&B. Since then, I think the only disc I have of his is 'Brown-Eyed Girl'. 

I almost saw him at the Bishopstock festival in 2000, but an onstage fight developed between his roadies and the festival's roadies while they were setting up for him.I think they had differing opinions of how this should be done.  Eventually we left in disgust, so I don't know if he actually appeared or not.

Dont forget The Pig Place festival old boy as you know it makes sense. Tickets selling fast. Sat 21st august all details ont Pig place website. Trying not to be commercial just want to let passing boaters know whats on. There will be 7 bands and at least 2 bars depending on how I get my act together!!

Ticket only to monitor whos coming. It will be great. Oh and we have Mikron here next weekend just saying like ;)