Would you get bored if doing most boating single-handed

Philip

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Philip said:

To answer a question, no pets. I'm quite happy doing my own thing when boating and doing it single handed is good in that you can decide where you want to stop and go at your own pace. But I suppose there are times when it can be a bit lonely, more so when you go for a miles without seeing anyone, along with going for meals and drinks by yourself in the pub!

I would describe myself as a very 'private' person, happily content with my own company; nonetheless it's difficult to spend time in a pub (as opposed to a restaurant) without getting into a chat with someone. Whether this is a "good thing" is another matter.

7 hours ago, frahkn said:

I would describe myself as a very 'private' person, happily content with my own company; nonetheless it's difficult to spend time in a pub (as opposed to a restaurant) without getting into a chat with someone. Whether this is a "good thing" is another matter.

I just take a book. Most people these days are unused to them and appear frightened by the sight of some weirdo reading one, so they keep away. 

At least, I think it's that.

• Greenie 3

10 hours ago, Philip said:

To answer a question, no pets. I'm quite happy doing my own thing when boating and doing it single handed is good in that you can decide where you want to stop and go at your own pace. But I suppose there are times when it can be a bit lonely, more so when you go for a miles without seeing anyone, along with going for meals and drinks by yourself in the pub!

One year when I was around 5 or 6 we had Christmas Dinner in a restaurant in Leeds.  Sat at a nearby table was an elderly gentleman on his own. At some point he pulled his own cracker. It made me very sad and we asked if he wanted to join us. He didn't and, with hindsight, he was probably perfectly happy (and probably not all that old). To this day I get a pang when I see men eating on their own. 

Years ago in Morrison a couple of days before Christmas. In the queue at the tills. I always look round for people in the queue with a few items. On this occasion there was a chap with ‘Christmas dinner for one’ in his basket.

I offered a place in the queue for him, he was quite rude declining my offer. So there you go. Not always what it seems.

On 28/06/2021 at 12:09, Hudds Lad said:

But you'd have to get off the boat to see it as it's behind trees, you don't see it whilst cruising by. The empty part is more the other side of the branch junction with the swing bridges, although i did often wonder what the factory that became a tyre dump originally was, last time we passed it had been mostly cleared up though.

That used to be a famous car scrapyard namely Furbers..they had all modern cars in there as breakers and repairables ..they also owned substantial amount of land in the area..someone told me they went bust but thats hearsay only

• Greenie 1

I understand Arthur. An ex navy pal of mine goes into his house on Christmas Eve and doesn’t surface until the day after Boxing Day. Just the way he wants it. I invited him onboard a couple of years ago and he didn’t want to. (Don’t blame him)🤪