Would you get bored if doing most boating single-handed

Philip

Featured Posts

Basically what the title says. I do a lot of single-handed boating and whilst there are many aspects of the canal scene that I continue to enjoy, it can get a little boring (and dare I say it lonely!) after a while; especially on long stretches between locks which I have done many times before.

For people who do the same, do you find this? And for those who don't single-hand, could you imagine feeling a bit bored and fed up after a while?

Edited by Philip
  • Sad 1

I don't think your question is exclusive to boating. If you're bored and lonely when you're boating on your own then it's likely you feel the same when you're sitting watching TV or shopping at the supermarket.

The only solution is to find a partner. It's what most people do although it doesn't suit everyone.

There are advantages and disadvantages to being in relationships and being on one's own. Personally when I look at most couples around me I'm glad I'm on my own. I'll take the occasional period of boredom rather than the constant bollockings from a "partner". ?

Edited by blackrose
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

We have come across loads of people travelling around on their own, both on the boat and lately in the van. They never seem bored or lonely. But I guess that outward appearances can be deceiving. They are almost always happy to have a good natter.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have come across loads of people travelling around on their own, both on the boat and lately in the van. They never seem bored or lonely. But I guess that outward appearances can be deceiving. They are almost always happy to have a good natter.

Or just glad to have somebody else to talk to to relieve the boredom perhaps?

• Greenie 1

I sometimes have to single hand when Mrs. Bee goes to stay with her elderly mother. I don't like it, nor does the dog and my diet goes from nourishing, well balanced mostly veggie food to burnt bacon sandwiches.

• Greenie 1

I used to work 10hr solo night shifts and found simple things like the radio or audiobooks helped a fair bit in breaking up the monotony. That said, i grew up an only child to a single working mother so have always been comfortable in my own company.

Do you have pets? companionship doesn’t have to be people. 

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

There are advantages and disadvantages to being in relationships and being on one's own. Personally when I look at most couples around me I'm glad I'm on my own. I'll take the occasional period of boredom rather than the constant bollockings from a "partner". ?

I know what you mean, but it doesn’t have to be like that, such couples have simply got it wrong.

When Jeff worked in nursing he was surrounded by bitter women who constantly complained about their husbands. But when he got fed up with their moaning he would say “why not just divorce him” to which the reply was one of astonishment. Some people seem to enjoy being in an argumentative relationship and having someone to moan about! Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

I find exploring canals fasciniating, so I might find doing the same length a lot getting a bit boring, it's not something I've ever done other than when I had a student summer job steering a trip boat. I share the experience after the event with fellow enthusiasts. I'm happy in my own company and whilst friends are welcome to join me, I want to do what I want to do, and if that means doing it on my own so be it. I'm not obsessive though, so I do some of my time off/holidays with friends, I can find time for both. 

I've twice made the mistake of marrying someone who doesn't then want to go canalling (this wasn't mentioned before the nups) - I'm not making that mistake again.

Edited by magpie patrick

After about 5 days on the boat by myself, I get bored with what I'm doing and go home where I'm with my companiable wife 100% of the time.  After a few days I'm keen to be back on the boat.  I think this process is responsible for the concept of the week - and for the continuance of the human race.

14 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I used to work 10hr solo night shifts and found simple things like the radio or audiobooks helped a fair bit in breaking up the monotony. That said, i grew up an only child to a single working mother so have always been comfortable in my own company.

Likewise, and I was very glad when we were officially allowed radios in the signalbox on a 12 hour night shift.

If you are the sort of person who gets bored, then you may get bored single-handed boating.  I actually remember the last time I was bored - in a school staff meeting over 45 years ago.  Certainly not while boating, singlehanded or not.  Plenty of other undesirable feelings (fear, apprehension, dislike, etc, but not very often) but not boredom.

There is always something to see and wonder at.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I do 90% of my boating solo. And yes, long straight stretches with no locks are boring - there's one on the Llangollen noted in my Nicholson's as "the long straight boring bit". Always seems to take an age... The same is true of the endless lines of boats at the bottom of the Shroppie, though at least you can look through their windows.

Late Autumn is worst, gets dark early. Summer you can sit outside,  read, admire the scenery.

So I'm with the OP. Sometimes boating is boring. Luckily, mostly it isn't, which is why, having bought the boat in a fleeting moment of wealth at the age of 40, I'm looking forward to going off again in a couple of weeks with significantly less hair.

• Greenie 3

40 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

there's one on the Llangollen noted in my Nicholson's as "the long straight boring bit". Always seems to take an age...

was it Whixall Moss by any chance? The bit either side of the Prees branch is a bit tedious, apart from a couple of swing bridges it's pretty empty if memory serves

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

was it Whixall Moss by any chance? The bit either side of the Prees branch is a bit tedious, apart from a couple of swing bridges it's pretty empty if memory serves

One of my favourite stretches of canal if so.  It's not empty at all.  It's full of wildlife, that's why it's a nature reserve.  The ecosystem there is unusual so the species range includes various interesting and rare things.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

One of my favourite stretches of canal if so.  It's not empty at all.  It's full of wildlife, that's why it's a nature reserve.  The ecosystem there is unusual so the species range includes various interesting and rare things.

I believe @tree monkeys have been spotted in the wild near there :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

I ... have always been comfortable in my own company.

Do you have pets? companionship doesn’t have to be people. 

Me too. Never felt the need for a non-human companion, though. 

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

Likewise, and I was very glad when we were officially allowed radios in the signalbox on a 12 hour night shift.

I like the hidden nuance of "officially"!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

But you'd have to get off the boat to see it as it's behind trees, you don't see it whilst cruising by. The empty part is more the other side of the branch junction with the swing bridges, although i did often wonder what the factory that became a tyre dump originally was, last time we passed it had been mostly cleared up though.

48 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

It is a fascinating place almost ethereal at times, apart from the horseflies of course 

54 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

The straight bit is deep also, I heard a rumour that the locals occasionally used the straight to give their engines a bit of a blat

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The straight bit is deep also, I heard a rumour that the locals occasionally used the straight to give their engines a bit of a blat

It also has some quite low sides in places, seen enthusiastic boats send waves into the woods :( 

42 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

But you'd have to get off the boat to see it as it's behind trees, you don't see it whilst cruising by. The empty part is more the other side of the branch junction with the swing bridges, although i did often wonder what the factory that became a tyre dump originally was, last time we passed it had been mostly cleared up though.

Keep your eyes peeled.  I've seen Peregrines and Water Voles along there.  Other things too.  A lot of the waterfowl from the Mosses go onto the canal too.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

To answer a question, no pets. I'm quite happy doing my own thing when boating and doing it single handed is good in that you can decide where you want to stop and go at your own pace. But I suppose there are times when it can be a bit lonely, more so when you go for a miles without seeing anyone, along with going for meals and drinks by yourself in the pub!

• Greenie 1