4 Counties Ring - clockwise or anticlockwise?

AlisonW

Featured Posts

Hi, we are soon undertaking our first ever canal boat holiday and looking for some advice please. We are hiring a boat from Andersen Boats at Middlewich and intend to do the 4 Counties Ring over 11 days. Any advice on whether to go clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Also we have to return the boat by 9am on the last day so looking for suggestions of where we can moor overnight close to Middlewich?

Thanks in advance,

Alison

12 minutes ago, AlisonW said:

Hi, we are soon undertaking our first ever canal boat holiday and looking for some advice please. We are hiring a boat from Andersen Boats at Middlewich and intend to do the 4 Counties Ring over 11 days. Any advice on whether to go clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Also we have to return the boat by 9am on the last day so looking for suggestions of where we can moor overnight close to Middlewich?

Thanks in advance,

Alison

You may as well moor in Middlewich for the last night and have a meal there. The only other option would be the Middlewich branch

I would go clockwise to get Harecastle tunnel out of the way and if you are ahead of time when you get to Nantwich you could detour up the Llangollen Canal for a bit or head to Chester before returning via the Middlewich branch.

I suggest you moor above Wardle lock on the last night and start early on the last day to get through the last 4 locks.

• Greenie 4

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

I would go down there shroppie first as the lock flights are all easy to go up and then down the Cheshire locks as i think they are easier going downhill. 

I would say clockwise, less delays coming down the Shroppie  and the locks can be tricky going up the Shroppie because of the by-washes being fierce. And on your last day the Middlewich branch is nicer than than the drag from Sandbach alongside the main road.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Unless you moor at the Andersen base on the last night you will have to do at least three locks on the last morning. Fine if you are early risers, but not so clever if you are not.

I have overnighted between the top lock and the junction before, and it is an easy walk into town or along the towpath for a pub.

46 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I would say clockwise, less delays coming down the Shroppie  and the locks can be tricky going up the Shroppie because of the by-washes being fierce.

Anticlockwise.

As a single hander I always find the fierce bywashes more problematic coming down than going up, plus you get the bulk of the shroppie locks out of the way while you're still fresh.

44 minutes ago, Yellowback said:

Anticlockwise.

As a single hander I always find the fierce bywashes more problematic coming down than going up, plus you get the bulk of the shroppie locks out of the way while you're still fresh.

I find it the complete opposite; difficult going up especially if there's a lot of water, not a problem going downhill.

From Middlewich clockwise is better; if you get delayed at Harecastle tunnel you can make up the time if going clockwise way round, if delayed doing anti-clockwise you could end up late getting back to Andersen.

5 hours ago, Philip said:

I find it the complete opposite; difficult going up especially if there's a lot of water, not a problem going downhill.

From Middlewich clockwise is better; if you get delayed at Harecastle tunnel you can make up the time if going clockwise way round, if delayed doing anti-clockwise you could end up late getting back to Andersen.

Now you have me confused. If you are going clockwise from Middlewich surely you are going up at the Cheshire locks ( heartbreak hill )

1 hour ago, pomkitanner said:

Now you have me confused. If you are going clockwise from Middlewich surely you are going up at the Cheshire locks ( heartbreak hill )

Yes. But the fierce by-washes mentioned are on the Shropshire Union locks and these will be downhill if going in the clockwise direction.

We did it anti-clockwise so that we were coming down all the cheshire locks, going up they can pull you forward better than the engine can pull you back until you learn how to work them. Never really had an issue with bywashes.

Harecastle booking was not a factor then though, so that is something to consider.

We did the ring from Overwater, including a detour up to the Anderton lift within 11 days, but we do tend to cruise for long hours.

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

We did it anti-clockwise so that we were coming down all the cheshire locks, going up they can pull you forward better than the engine can pull you back until you learn how to work them. Never really had an issue with bywashes.

Harecastle booking was not a factor then though, so that is something to consider.

We did the ring from Overwater, including a detour up to the Anderton lift within 11 days, but we do tend to cruise for long hours.

Don't try holding back with the engine, it wont work.

I would also go up the Cheshire locks and through the tunnel first. I think as a hirer you would need to ring to book a time as you can only do it online if you have an account/licence.

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Yes, i found that out the hard way in the first one, one broken glass and self-emptying cupboards ;) 

Napton flight is another. I always start at the front so I cant go anywhere and see how they behave. The Stratford flight I just float around in the middle.

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't try holding back with the engine, it wont work.

I would also go up the Cheshire locks and through the tunnel first. I think as a hirer you would need to ring to book a time as you can only do it online if you have an account/licence.

I thought the latest from CaRT was that you do not need to book the tunnel for morning passage but need to book in advance for afternoon passage.

10 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

I thought the latest from CaRT was that you do not need to book the tunnel for morning passage but need to book in advance for afternoon passage.

Open

Closed

Do we book

Don't we need to book ?

Who needs to book ?

Morning ?

Afternoon ?

Volunteers in attendance ?
Break down boat manned ?

And we thought that the C19 rules were confusing.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Open

Closed

Do we book

Don't we need to book ?

Who needs to book ?

Morning ?

Afternoon ?

Volunteers in attendance ?
Break down boat manned ?

And we thought that the C19 rules were confusing.

You don't need to worry as your boat won't fit.

2 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

I don't know if the OP is likely to be there in the morning or the afternoon, but if they arrive a 3pm hoping to get through they could be stuck until the next morning. That is why I made the comment.

Up until 18 months ago at least I think south through Harecastle tunnel had a later last passage than northbound. It was around 2-3pm going north but going south an hour or so later. I don't know if this is still the same or not.

The ground paddles on the locks from Wheelock to Red Bull are not a problem if wound slowly and carefully; just wind a few turns and check how the boat is behaving. 

In the clockwise direction you also get the grotty bit of the Shropshire Union out of the way first; after the first couple of miles past Autherley Junction the canal is glorious right through to Nantwich.

Edited by Philip
  • Greenie 2