hull thickness tester

Featured Posts

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

My favoured professional surveyor think they are only any use as a hammer.

His ultrasound kit cost quite a few thousand.

Better not to know than be lulled into a false sense of security by a cheap Chinese tester that may or may not give numbers anywhere near reality.

I was led to believe that it is not just about the 'machine' is showing but having the knowledge to interpret what the machine is showing.

21 hours ago, crosser said:

my boat is out for blacking soon and wanted to check on hull thickness but not be paying £350 for a surveyor...  are these cheap testers any good? seen a few for around £60

Your personal survey will count for nothing, but peace of mind for you, if your tests prove positive. 

Edited by Higgs

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Better not to know than be lulled into a false sense of security by a cheap Chinese tester that may or may not give numbers anywhere near reality.

I was led to believe that it is not just about the 'machine' is showing but having the knowledge to interpret what the machine is showing.

I was wondering that, If it gives good numbers when its about to fail or it gives poor numbers and you spend a grand plating good steel

20 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

I've had one for a few years now and it is very good and even works when the boat is in the water. 

It's worth mentioning that all the insurance companies and all the professional surveyors insist the hull thickness testing is done out of the water.

I can only speak as I find. Mine has proved very accurate. With a surveyor you are only buying some kind of insurance. They never do a very thorough job and often don't inspect internally and come with so many disclaimers anyway. Better off doing yourself and if in doubt get a very large hammer.

• Happy 1