Braunston - Boat engineers recommendations

Featured Posts

One of our BMC 1.5 engine legs has broken. RCR came out to confirm it but their Canal Contracting company has a 2 week delay. Any recommendations of a local engineer I could contact? I'll be wandering down to the bottom lock to see if Braunston Boats can help on Monday. 

Thanks, we shared with a boat thru Buckby & Braunston locks yesterday, they just went past and recommended a local engineer. Phoned them and after sending a few photos they should be able to repair Monday afternoon. Wasn't expecting that....

IMG_20210626_161439_compress36.jpg

IMG_20210626_161429_compress85.jpg

A good question. It's a 1988 R&D Fabrications built boat fitted out by Calcutt. On inspection 3 of the engine legs are aluminium and the broken one is steel, mounts checked (and alignments) around 5 years ago. 

Looks a bit homemade but I suppose if its lasted that long it must be OK but is it really bolted into the crankcase just to the left of the lift pump? That's only a thin bit of cast iron there and not something I'd do.  I guess it probably broke because the vertical triangular piece should have been extended to the very end if the thing past the mounting bolt and a weld along the crack  will go again if that is not done.

9 minutes ago, Bee said:

Looks a bit homemade but I suppose if its lasted that long it must be OK but is it really bolted into the crankcase just to the left of the lift pump? That's only a thin bit of cast iron there and not something I'd do.  I guess it probably broke because the vertical triangular piece should have been extended to the very end if the thing past the mounting bolt and a weld along the crack  will go again if that is not done.

They are normally also bolted to the engine front plate, and I think I can see the bolt head. I agree about the fillet piece needing extending.

1 hour ago, Bee said:

That's better! still a bit worried about that bolt in the crankcase though....

The two red holes in the upright secures the foot to the engine front plate, so the weight is supported in three places.

In fact, from memory, apart from the fact the foot part is horizontal rather than at 45 degrees the foot is the same as the automotive one. But then the automotive one does not have to accept prop thrust and the end plate will take that.

Edited by Tony Brooks

22 hours ago, roggie said:

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. A local boat mechanic, Stuart Moxon, came out and sorted the leg, see photo. Good job done and now on our way.

IMG_20210628_123016_compress14.jpg

Whose is the adjustable spanner then? Surely not an "engineers".

The bolt into the crankcase is normal, it will take the end thrust rather than weight which the front plate is designed to take distributed.