Single handed Huddersfield Narrow

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I’m planning to cruise the Huddersfield Narrow East to West in Mid July. Planning to get to the tunnel for a Wednesday passage through. When I book the tunnel passage it advises me to book a passage through lock 1E and offers the Ranger Service for assistance. How many days ahead of the tunnel passage should I book the lock and the Ranger service seems to allow booking for 1 day with a start point some 40 locks ahead of the tunnel - can’t see me doing 40 in one day!!

If you’ve done it before can you share how long it took to get from 1E to the tunnel and where you stopped. Appreciate any useful advice or tips - already heard “Don’t do it”!!!

Peter

I reckon single handling the HNC will be tricky - but definitely good if you like a challenge.  Apart for the hard work, the issue is that it rather shallow and the pounds liable to drain away.  When you get stemmed up, getting ashore to run some water down from the next pound will be awkward.

With more than one crew member, it is a good tactic to have someone bankside for most of the time.

Done the narrow a few times single-handed.  Preferred stopping points;

Start at the uni in Huddersfield - before looking out in the morning, check for graduation ceremonies to photobomb

(poss stop near the golcar aquaduct if needed)

Then Slaithwaite, beware of the extremely low bridge

(Possibly stop in-between 31/32 if knackered)

Up to Marsden.

Through tunnel,

Stop at Diggle, but there's not a lot going on here.

Then down to Uppermill.

Into Stalybridge, Look out for the burnt out buildings and goose poo

I've then got onto the Peak Forest and just past the lift bridge No 1.

It's a great canal, but can be hard work, both in terms of merely working the locks and the sheer number of them.  But at least you generally don't have to worry about oncoming unseen traffic.

The tunnel used to be Mondays, Weds and Friday.  Mornings for westbound.

But I think demand has increased so they're doing 5 days a week. M - F.

You have to book well in advance.

ETA - isn't there a wizard chippy at Diggle ?

Edited by jake_crew

7 hours ago, PetersNarrowboat said:

Hi All,

I’m planning to cruise the Huddersfield Narrow East to West in Mid July. Planning to get to the tunnel for a Wednesday passage through. When I book the tunnel passage it advises me to book a passage through lock 1E and offers the Ranger Service for assistance. How many days ahead of the tunnel passage should I book the lock and the Ranger service seems to allow booking for 1 day with a start point some 40 locks ahead of the tunnel - can’t see me doing 40 in one day!!

If you’ve done it before can you share how long it took to get from 1E to the tunnel and where you stopped. Appreciate any useful advice or tips - already heard “Don’t do it”!!!

Peter

Single handed,I would book the tunnel four days ahead.

Day 1 Huddersfield to Milnsbridge (lock forgotten number)Winding hole.

Day 2 Milnsbridge to Slaithwaite (lock 22 or 23)

Day 3 Slaithwaite to lock 32(The Kettle)

Day 4 Kettle to Standedge.Lock 42.

You could do it quicker if you are fit,but you may knacker yourself in the process.

The suggested timetable I have outlined I have done and found it fairly relaxing.

Forgot,going east to west through the tunnel,it's mornings only.

You may be better booking five days ahead.

Edited by Mad Harold

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Single handed,I would book the tunnel four days ahead.

Day 1 Huddersfield to Milnsbridge (lock forgotten number)Winding hole.

Day 2 Milnsbridge to Slaithwaite (lock 22 or 23)

Day 3 Slaithwaite to lock 32(The Kettle)

Day 4 Kettle to Standedge.Lock 42.

You could do it quicker if you are fit,but you may knacker yourself in the process.

The suggested timetable I have outlined I have done and found it fairly relaxing.

Forgot,going east to west through the tunnel,it's mornings only.

You may be better booking five days ahead.

What he says, except for Milnsbridge, which is a dump not particularly appealing.   I prefer to carry on and moor near the Titanic Mill (Locks 15 or 16) where if you are feeling energetic you can walk up to the excellent pub above Linthwaite whose name escapes me 'cos I'm getting old (Sair Inn - what a relief).   

The main thing about the Huddersfield Narrow singlehanded is the lack of usable lock landings, but it's OK because you can nudge in & tie up just below the lock and there are usually steps,  A couple of the locks in Slaithwaite are less forgiving, but I'm sure you will have worked things out by then.

It has taken an 18 month canal closure and a global pandemic to frustrate my 13th transit of the Huddersfield Narrow.  It is full of eventful memories and I'm sure it will be for you too.

6 hours ago, DaveP said:

Done the narrow a few times single-handed.  Preferred stopping points;

Start at the uni in Huddersfield - before looking out in the morning, check for graduation ceremonies to photobomb

(poss stop near the golcar aquaduct if needed)

Then Slaithwaite, beware of the extremely low bridge

(Possibly stop in-between 31/32 if knackered)

Up to Marsden.

Through tunnel,

Stop at Diggle, but there's not a lot going on here.

Then down to Uppermill.

Into Stalybridge, Look out for the burnt out buildings and goose poo

I've then got onto the Peak Forest and just past the lift bridge No 1.

It's a great canal, but can be hard work, both in terms of merely working the locks and the sheer number of them.  But at least you generally don't have to worry about oncoming unseen traffic.

No wonder it's hard work if you are doing it in 2 days???

Oh and in my opinion Diggle is one of the best moorings on the whole system!! There aren't many places you can step off your boat straight onto the side of a mountain ?

• 1 month later...

As a post script I though I’d post an answer to my own question now I’ve done the trip. Booked the tunnel for a Wednesday and via the CRT site also booked the Voulunteer Ranger Service for the Saturday prior and the Tuesday prior. Two volunteers (Trevor and Richard) met me at Lock 1E and made easy passage for me up to Slaithwaite in under 5 hours on the Saturday there was plenty of water and the locks all seemed well maintained  although lock landings were few and far between. On the following Tuesday Volunteer  Martin helped me up to Marsden - water levels were much lower and I’d have struggled by myself getting on and off the boat. The tunnel is fabulous but tight and the centre of the roof is often not aligned with the centre of the canal. I got through with two or three little scrapes. Going down on the West locks was comparatively easy. My recommendation would be to use the volunteer service- they are a brilliant bunch of true enthusiasts.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, PetersNarrowboat said:

Volunteer  Martin helped me up to Marsden

Martin helped me from Marsden to Slaithwaite on Tuesday, fantastic guy and very helpful. I hope you'll contact CRT and send a compliment message as I did.

Officially the chaperone drives but at the chaperones discretion you can drive providing you can be socially distant. On some boats this may mean the chaperone guides from the front but mine has a large cruiser stern so I was able to drive with the chaperone on the back.