Dingy

Hazdog

Featured Posts

Hello boat people, I don’t actually own a canal boat and can’t see myself owning one for the foreseeable future. However, I have recently purchased a six man dingy, with the intention of just floating down the London waterways with a couple of mates and a few drinks. I’m just wondering if by doing this I’m breaking any laws and potentially could get into any trouble?? Anything I ought to know before embarking on our voyage? I intend on being courteous to fellow water users and won’t be rowdy or obnoxious...

If your craft is on CRT waters it has to be licenced and insured. I'm not sure whether dingies are subject to the BSS (Boat safety Scheme) or not but if they are and your dingy is over 4 years old then it will need a valid safety certificate BEFORE you can get insurance. Similar rules apply for EA waters.

I had a four man dingy with a 2HP engine that I had to have licenesed and insured. Your best bet is to ask The Canal and River Trust because you WILL get conflicting advice on here.

CRT licencing:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence

If you want to use a canoe or kayak on the canal it may be cheaper to go for British Canoeing membership. But neither CRT nor British Canoeing define the term 'canoe', so it is not entirely clear whether or not a rowing dinghy is eligible for membership.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

CRT licencing:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence

If you want to use a canoe or kayak on the canal it may be cheaper to go for British Canoeing membership. But neither CRT nor British Canoeing define the term 'canoe', so it is not entirely clear whether or not a rowing dinghy is eligible for membership.

There are some strange things called 'canoes'.

A guy we spent some time boating with had his 'garage' (for his invalid buggy) licenced as an unpowered boat, C&RT called it a canoe.

Victoria Plum's Garage Built by Unknown - Length : 3.66 metres ( 12 feet ) - Beam : 2.03 metres ( 6 feet 8 inches ) - Draft : 0.45 metres ( 1 foot 6 inches ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 507115 as an Unpowered Unpowered Craft.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Victoria Plum 3.jpg

Victoria Plum 5.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Is it a dingy dinghy, or a nice one?

With up to 6 blokes aboard drinking and paddling (and probably piddling) in the canal, I suspect it could be the former.   

I'm sure the OP has good intentions of not being rowdy or obnoxious however in my experience rowdy, obnoxious and lewd behaviour comes as standard on small dayboats with drinking blokes aboard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2021 at 11:22, Alan de Enfield said:

There are some strange things called 'canoes'.

A guy we spent some time boating with had his 'garage' (for his invalid buggy) licenced as an unpowered boat, C&RT called it a canoe.

Victoria Plum's Garage Built by Unknown - Length : 3.66 metres ( 12 feet ) - Beam : 2.03 metres ( 6 feet 8 inches ) - Draft : 0.45 metres ( 1 foot 6 inches ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 507115 as an Unpowered Unpowered Craft.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Victoria Plum 3.jpg

Victoria Plum 5.jpg

Looking a little neglected now, Up for sale I believe?

B962CDE5-AE0D-463D-AC63-12801D1D9826.jpeg

Just now, PD1964 said:

Looking a little neglected now, Up for sale I believe?

B962CDE5-AE0D-463D-AC63-12801D1D9826.jpeg

Its been up for sale for (must be about) 5 years now since he gave up, and I believe subsequently passed away.

Sad to see it like that.

It was a super little store room / workshop and held a couple of 45 gallon drums of diesel, tools, oil cans etc etc and had a hydraulic platform that lowered his Disability buggy down, and up to towpath level. 

It would make a good office, or extra bedroom (with the addition of a couple of windows.

I collected an empty non-converted butty from Oxford back in the 80s.  It was licensed with BWB as a commercial unpowered craft. 

I delivered it to Brentford via The Thames.  I sent its details to Thames Conservancy and requested a licence.

They charged me something like £6.75 and sent me a bit of paper authorising me to use my "canoe" for a week.

A 70ft by 7ft rivetted canoe, still it was pointed at both ends.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 26/06/2021 at 11:02, Alan de Enfield said:

It will also need a 'registration number' (number plate) available from C&RT for (it used to be) £25

How do you fix the plates onto those inflatable canoes I keep seeing? I would suggest 3.5mm x 12mm stainless steel self tappers 🙄 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Slim said:

How do you fix the plates onto those inflatable canoes I keep seeing? I would suggest 3.5mm x 12mm stainless steel self tappers 🙄 

We know that you're joking but for those who might not realise, it costs £45/yr for BCU membership. You, personally are 3rd party insured for the canoe/kayak that you're using and membership allows use of CaRT waters.  You get a plastic credit card sized membership card on a lanyard that you should wear when paddling. It's the cheapest and simplest legitimate way to get onto the canals..

Sad to see Victoria Plum's Garage looking like that. I don't think, however, that any new owner would get away with licensing it as portable unpowered. The idea of the normal crew launching and retrieving it without mechanical assistance would seem impossible. And the difference is massive. £56.15 for portable unpowered up to 5m for the year whereas a standard long term licence up to 5.5m powered or unpowered comes in at over ten times that £563.62

OP has a few options if they want to use CaRT's waters.

If the dinghy is unpowered then a year's portable unpowered (up to 5m) licence(£56.15) plus 3rd party insurance (from less than £30) is quite reasonable, works out at less than £2/wk.  Depending on how much or little use it will get, you could instead get a 30 day explorer licence (approx £40), or a week at a time (approx £20)

If the dinghy has an outboard then getting a 30day explorer licence for £117.42 (up to 5.5m or 18') plus small boat (up to 18' and 11hp) 3rd party insurance (again from under £30) works out at just under £5 for each day. A one week licence comes in at £31.31

The 30 days on an explorer licence can be spread out over the year however you wish. One week and one month licences are for consecutive days and can't be split.

For an open boat with or without a petrol outboard, with no enclosed cabin, no gas or electrical systems, no BSS test is required. It's exempt.

5 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

For an open boat with or without a petrol outboard, with no enclosed cabin, no gas or electrical systems, no BSS test is required. It's exempt.

But the same boat propelled by an electric outboard does need a BSC as it has an electrical system on board. Hardly encourages environmentally friendly boating!

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But the same boat propelled by an electric outboard does need a BSC as it has an electrical system on board. Hardly encourages environmentally friendly boating!

Which is pretty much madness when a 12v battery on the boat is regarded as far more dangerous that a tank of petrol. Little electric outboards are ideal for lightweight small open boats and a lot cleaner than a smelly old two stroke.