Northwich to Redditch....newbie first trip.

Whitey62

Featured Posts

Hi all,

so I’ve bought a dilapidated 40ft NB. Done it up a little inside to make it liveable and sorted the engine (I hope)

Now I’m moving job from the North west to Redditch area and bringing the boat to live on 3/4 nights a week whilst at work.

Only problem Is, I don’t have a clue what I’m doing as far as getting there is concerned!! 

First question I guess is how do I navigate? Get an app, download maps, get a satnav.....what’s the best way? 

Any other things I should be taking into account please shout out.........all contributions, advice and thoughts greatly appreciated.

Windlass, antivandal key, BW key. Appropriate lines, two centre , bow and stern. Mooring pins, chains and mooring hooks.Hose to fill your tank with water.plus attachments. Gas locker spanner.

Access canal and river trust alerts to stoppages.

6 hours ago, john6767 said:

As I am sure you know there in no canal in Reddich, the nearest are the North Stratford and the Worcester & Birmingham.  Do you have a mooring lined up?

I have a mooring lined up at stourport though not confirmed yet, Alvechurch also has available moorings but is expensive at £360 a month

Tbh I was going to post the moorings question in a different post.........do you have any suggestions? 

On the Stratford you could try Warings Green Wharf, Swallow Cruisers or Lady Lane Wharf, depends on if you want things like electricity or not.

Based on £360 a month is that a 60 ft boat, that is alway going to be relatively expensive to moor, but at £3400 there I would agree that is relatively expensive.  Another place to look is Droitwich Spa Marina, for 60ft that would be £3040.

6 minutes ago, john6767 said:

On the Stratford you could try Warings Green Wharf, Swallow Cruisers or Lady Lane Wharf, depends on if you want things like electricity or not.

Based on £360 a month is that a 60 ft boat, that is alway going to be relatively expensive to moor, but at £3400 there I would agree that is relatively expensive.  Another place to look is Droitwich Spa Marina, for 60ft that would be £3040.

Boat is 40ft.

I would prefer a 240v hook up at least for a few months while I get the refurb finished.

Droitwich spa is full as are most of the others I have emailed from a google “marina” search in the area.

Do any of above have shoreline? 

5 minutes ago, Whitey62 said:

Boat is 40ft.

I would prefer a 240v hook up at least for a few months while I get the refurb finished.

Droitwich spa is full as are most of the others I have emailed from a google “marina” search in the area.

Do any of above have shoreline? 

Wearings Green I think has electricity, you would need to phone them I guess.  Lady Lane has gone through a bit of a transformation recently, but I don’t know if they have upgraded to moorings to include electricity.

Wearings Green http://www.waringsgreen.co.uk

Lady Lane https://www.waterwayleisure.com/lady-lane-wharf

39 minutes ago, Whitey62 said:

You may not be welcome to do a refurb job many marinas I fear, so worth checking that out if you do find somewhere that appears to suit.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

It also depends if you were looking at the price of monthly mooring or a 12 month up front payment. Lady Line which is now Water Pride Estates and looked quite full, Swallow had spaces but that could be people out, S Goldsbourgh looked full

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

Wearings Green I think has electricity, you would need to phone them I guess.  Lady Lane has gone through a bit of a transformation recently, but I don’t know if they have upgraded to moorings to include electricity.

Wearings Green http://www.waringsgreen.co.uk

Lady Lane https://www.waterwayleisure.com/lady-lane-wharf

Some have electricity but they don't look as if they have got very far down the line

On 25/06/2021 at 20:51, Whitey62 said:

First question I guess is how do I navigate? Get an app, download maps, get a satnav.....what’s the best way? 

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your adventure. 

In practice you need a map or a guide, not a navigation system. You have to make a decision about which way to go about once every couple of days on average. A satnav type arrangement would be dull "Turn right in three days" kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your adventure. 

In practice you need a map or a guide, not a navigation system. You have to make a decision about which way to go about once every couple of days on average. A satnav type arrangement would be dull "Turn right in three days" kind of thing. 

Thank you, relevant maps have now been ordered 

21 hours ago, Whitey62 said:

? I do have a decent generator so 240v feed is not essential however I do still work so security is an issue while I am working

If your prospective marina provides electric bollards, they, or other moorers, may not appreciate it if you start running a generator. Might be worth checking what they think about that? 

30 minutes ago, Col_T said:

If your prospective marina provides electric bollards, they, or other moorers, may not appreciate it if you start running a generator. Might be worth checking what they think about that? 

Bit confused there......would only use generator if no 240v shoreline.

I imagine if there is no shoreline then the noise of generators would be common and acccepted?

1 hour ago, Whitey62 said:

I imagine if there is no shoreline then the noise of generators would be common and acccepted?

Common? Yes.

Accepted? Not really.

Put up with whilst chuntering? Frequently.

Source of conflict? Occasionally.