bss failure query....

Featured Posts

had my boat tested and it failed as theres no shut off valve on the the diesel tank but it has a electric shut off valve fitted... the bss site says an auto electric valve is ok, anyone on here know which is correct?    

also my heating fuel tank doesnt have a vent fitted, anyone know the easiest way to fit a vent to the tank? i can only get access to a small part of the top of the tank?

thanks again

17 minutes ago, crosser said:

had my boat tested and it failed as theres no shut off valve on the the diesel tank but it has a electric shut off valve fitted... the bss site says an auto electric valve is ok, anyone on here know which is correct?    

also my heating fuel tank doesnt have a vent fitted, anyone know the easiest way to fit a vent to the tank? i can only get access to a small part of the top of the tank?

thanks again

My boat doesn't have a fuel shut off valve, but, it doesn't require one because of the height of the tank and the location of the engine.

Does yours comply with this exemption ?

If the regs say that an electric shut off valve is acceptable, but the surveyor says it doesn't (and you are sure) then you should register a complaint wth the BSS. nothing will happen, but, they should allow the BSS to be issued.

im not sure if mine complies, my tank is mounted in the bilge area and fuel can be pumped with an electric pump switch upto the day tank, the tank connection is on the top of the main tank..

10 hours ago, crosser said:

The BSS wording on auto electric shut off valves is

an electrically operated valve at the tank activated to open only during
engine starting or running, provided that a manual emergency operating or
bypassing device is present.

Does your electric valve meet all these requirements? Does it only electrically open when the engine is starting, or running? Is there a way of manually getting it to operate, or bypass it? If not, then it won't pass. If it does, then worth challenging.

10 hours ago, crosser said:

What is the tank made from? How small is the small part you can get access to?

Jen

• Greenie 1

i think i will just replace the electric solonoid with a stop valve, does the stop valve have to be fitted before the electric pump?  on a good note i have found the vent for the heating tank, it was behind the door in the well deck, think the inspector must of just not seen it...     so glad i wont have to rip out half the interior to get to everything...  its just strange how it all passed in years gone by but now doesnt...