reflex heater

Featured Posts

Remove the catalyser.

Set the regulator to setting 2.

Press the red overide button on the thermocouple and allow a 50 pence piece pool of oil into the burner pot.

Release the thermocouple button.

Replace the  catalyser.

Pour a capfull of meths into the burner pot and light it.

When the blue flames from the meths have almost died out, press the red overide button on the thermocouple again and hold in for 90 seconds.

After 15 minutes adjust the regulator to the setting of your choice.

When burning correctly you should have blue flames not more thsn 15 minutes after changing the regulator setting.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space.

The only things I would add to the above is when the meths is lit, keep your hand behind the lid and do not look down as you toss the match in and when the meths is lit do not close the lid too soon because the system needs to warm up a bit before it will draw fresh air in and holding the lid open allows extra air in until some warmth has built up.

We recently got our new boat with one of these installed, the guy who did the handover suggested that until we got used to lighting it that we should put a small piece of fire lighter into the burner pot with the 50p of diesel and the meths and then when this is mastered swap to meths only. He said the firelighter helps to keep it alight if you close the lid too soon and provides more heat direct into the floor of the burner pot. Another tip he gave us was as the meths was dying down and getting the burner pot warm enough, the 50p of diesel starts boiling and sounds like bacon frying and spitting and when you hear that you know that the diesel will start burning OK so that is when you press the red button the second time. There are some videos on Youtube.

Lit ours first time using a small piece of firelighter and used the firelighter for the next 5 or 6 times and then swapped to meths, the firelighter certainly made it more tolerant of poor technique.

Also if the stove is still warm, lighting it with meths is not a good idea as the meths will flash to vapour quickly and when you throw the match in you can get a large flame shooting out.

Join the Refleks Diesel Stove group on facebook. Lots of info there and plenty of people who have Refleks and can offer advice.

Not all Refleks burn blue, for example the 62 model burns mainly yellow. Any Refleks that uses the same catalyst at the 62 will burn predominantly yellow.

Also not all Refleks stoves light the way described above.  There are 2 types of controllor that can be used and the description above is just for 1 of those types.

I prefer the firelighters method, I just turn the fuel on, let the base of the burner pot get covered in fuel, turn the fuel off, throw in 1/2 a fire lighter, wait for the catalyst to glow red and then turn the fuel back on. Leave and enjoy. 

The beauty of Refleks is leaving it running 24 hours a day. Mine supplies hot water to the radiators in the bathroom and bedroom plus heats the calorifier. I leave the stove running on minimum, 24 hours a day when I'm on board in winter.  Uses approx 3.6 litres of red per 24 hours......Cheaper than coal (depending on what you pay for 0% red) and the heat stays at a constant temperature. Also the entire boat is toasty warm when you wake up in the morning. 

Edited by jeddlad
Spelling
  • Greenie 2