Don't let the bed slugs bite

harrybsmith

Featured Posts

Evening all, 

I was away from the boat over the weekend,  and crawled into bed on Sunday night only to be met with a wet slithery object. A slug had decided to make itself at home in my bed. 

It was enthusiastically rehomed out te window, bed sheets changed and I moved on with life.

Anyone got any clue why it decided that my bed was more attractive than someone's cabbages? Anything I can do to prevent further attacks? 

• Greenie 1

Ugh. Possible route and reasoning for the slug. Boat moored up against long vegetation. Slugs mostly seem to move around at night. When I've bivvy slept out it is common to find slug trails over the bag the next morning. Slug ends up on the side of boat as it wanders around during the night. Slug heads upwards. Sun rises. Yikes, it is getting hot and the slug is drying out. Oh look, here is an open window and it seems a lot cooler inside. Slug is now on a slightly overhanging glass window. Falls off, but that's OK, because there is a nice soft bed to land on.

To prevent. Get a pet hedgehog. Don't moor up by vegetation that touches the boat. Close windows. Some nights, one or more of these won't be practical. See if the copper tape thing works by putting some around the windows?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2

Evicted (alive) a very tiny frog from under the bunk last year when I went to check the boat. It was in a saucerful of water. How it had got in there to live in the little H2O from a window leak, your guess is a good as mine. Very small GRP boat and naturally damp but it did puzzle me.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I did do some work on a boat that had a lot of water and rotting floorboards at the back end. It wasnt a nice experience to keep cutting boards out, lifting them and having a handful of slug family included.

Mud, dead crabs, frogs, vacated wasps nests and rotted timber. Anything but slugs.  They are stomach churning

Edited by BilgePump

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

I did do some work on a boat that had a lot of water and rotting floorboards at the back end. It wasnt a nice experience to keep cutting boards out, lifting them and having a handful of slug family included.

Could have been worse. Cutting boards out and getting a handful of half slugs.