Cardiff Canal Quarter

Ogwr

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

So more of a Canal Eighth, or a Canal Sixteenth. ?

I'm a bit more optimistic about developments in Newport, not least as there is more to connect up to (ie the two branches of the Mon and Brec system, 14 locks etc).

• Greenie 1

For three years between 2012 and 2015 from Mondays to Fridays I lived at one end of Mill Lane and worked at the other. 

I never realised it was on the line of a former canal, even though I was aware of the presence of a canal in Cardiff in the past.

It explains something of the alignment and layout of the street.

Edited by Captain Pegg

57 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

For three years between 2012 and 2015 from Mondays to Fridays I lived at one end of Mill Lane and worked at the other. 

I never realised it was on the line of a former canal, even though I was aware of the presence of a canal in Cardiff in the past.

It explains something of the alignment and layout of the street.

Very obvious further along the line of the Glamorganshire Canal, that originally went to Cardiff. Much of it is now buried under the A470. When you drive along this the road is dead level, then drops around six feet or so over a relatively short distance, then is dead level again, before the next drop of six feet!

I think the report has confused the canal and the docks feeder - the latter has been covered over rather than filled in, not least because it still feeds the docks! I moved to Cardiff in 1984 and finally left the area in 2006, in that time a significant amount was lost, the sea lock was still obvious when I arrived but the Butetown Tunnels now occupy the site, as you leave the tunnel for the bridge over the bay you're driving through the entrance to the canal. The remains of the lock where rebuilt in the middle of a roundabout nearby. Near the city centre there were bollards under a railway bridge, with the canal bank still obvious - the whole site under the railway was abandoned land - not any more, a road goes through now.  

In some ways this reflects the prosperity that Cardiff has enjoyed over the last forty years - when I first moved there Queen Street, the main pedestrian shopping street, had vacant and abandoned plots, but the growth in the city meant these were soon snapped up. Thankfully the frontage of the canal company's offices, further down Queen Street were retained. I understand that the contractors building Queens Arcade found the old canal tunnel.  

Being a Cardiffian by birth I would agree with Patrick that there is a lot of confusion in that article between the Glamorgan Canal and the Dock Feeder. Certainly the photographs show both things. In the area around the Castle and the Civic Centre the line of both were quite close to each other. In fact the canal line crosses the Feeder.

Much of the line of the Glamorgan Canal north of Cardiff has been obliterated by road and rail developments. There is a short section in water between the Melingriffith Pump up towards the M4, and there are various small drained sections that can be found around Pontypridd. The line of the car park along North Rd, just north of the Castle towards the College of Music follows the line of the canal and the "tunnel" underneath the road just by the junction of Castle St and Queen St is now a pedestrain underpass with some "possible" canal remains included.

The canal south of the city centre remained open long after most of the canal had been abandoned, mostly for trade to a small sand and gravel wharf, but it finally closed when the sea lock at the end of the canal was rammed by a coaster and drained the canal. It wasn't deemed economical to repair the lock.

• Greenie 1

Pictures taken in February 2005.  This stretch of the Glamorgan Canal was accessed via the Asda car park at the M4 Junction North of Cardiff in the Morgans Town/ Radyr area along the River Taf valley..  I think the area is known as Long Wood Country Park.

05020811.JPG

05020813.JPG

05020815.JPG

Some more pics. Same place.  The last is the River Taf obviously.

05020816.JPG

05020818.JPG

05020819.JPG

29 minutes ago, CIEL said:

Pictures taken in February 2005.  This stretch of the Glamorgan Canal was accessed via the Asda car park at the M4 Junction North of Cardiff in the Morgans Town/ Radyr area along the River Taf valley..  I think the area is known as Long Wood Country Park.

05020811.JPG

05020815.JPG

05020818.JPG

Yes, the long woods, one of the best preserved bits with two locks. Northern edge of Cardiff. I used to visit a lot wnen I lived there, not been for a number of years.