Grass cutting contractors. Dim, or deliberately stupid

Pennine

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

more like notmyjob

not-my-job-funny-pics-27-226x301.jpg

It quite simple really, the chap gets paid to fix a bench there, if he does it and water pours onto it he gets paid, if he doesn't do it he has travelled to the job, seen the problem and not got a penny. I watched a carpenter hanging doors 3" to small for the frames. He gets paid to hang doors, if he doesn't hang doors he gets nowt. on the plus side he also gets paid to remove doors and hang the right ones when they turn up.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It quite simple really, the chap gets paid to fix a bench there, if he does it and water pours onto it he gets paid, if he doesn't do it he has travelled to the job, seen the problem and not got a penny. I watched a carpenter hanging doors 3" to small for the frames. He gets paid to hang doors, if he doesn't hang doors he gets nowt. on the plus side he also gets paid to remove doors and hang the right ones when they turn up.

Absolutely correct. 

Our grasscutter, of course, is going to get his arse kicked (and probably sacked or not renewed) for doing his job, due to a complaint by someone fifty times better off than him who doesn't like getting his shiny boat dirty.

I'm afraid all my sympathies are with the strimmer.

• Greenie 2

I'm struggling to understand why we need an extensive programme of grass-cutting at all, given the somewhat more fundamental problems such as locks disintegrating that there apparently isn't money to fix, but otherwise my opinion is inline with Arthur's. Yes, it's tedious sweeping the grass off your gunwale — but it's hardly a major inconvenience, is it? It's not like he's put a stone through a window with the strimmer or otherwise caused damage.

15 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

I'm struggling to understand why we need an extensive programme of grass-cutting at all, given the somewhat more fundamental problems such as locks disintegrating that there apparently isn't money to fix, but otherwise my opinion is inline with Arthur's. Yes, it's tedious sweeping the grass off your gunwale — but it's hardly a major inconvenience, is it? It's not like he's put a stone through a window with the strimmer or otherwise caused damage.

Because people moan if it is not cut.

25 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Because people moan if it is not cut.

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

And moan if it's cut

We can deduce from this that people moan. Regardless.

People should find bigger (or rather, actual) problems to moan about, is my opinion.

1 minute ago, tehmarks said:

People should find bigger (or rather, actual) problems to moan about, is my opinion.

I sort of agree with you but the OP was legit in being miffed because it's easily avoided by the contractor, plus what was done could have led to actually damage from flying debris, broken windows etc.

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Absolutely correct. 

Our grasscutter, of course, is going to get his arse kicked (and probably sacked or not renewed) for doing his job, due to a complaint by someone fifty times better off than him who doesn't like getting his shiny boat dirty.

I'm afraid all my sympathies are with the strimmer.

Not mine - my sympathies are with the OP. 

The grasscutter should get his arse kicked and probably sacked or contract not renewed because he didn't do his job properly. I've done plenty of manual/menial jobs for minimum wage and I'm afraid the relative wealth between the labourer and the person whose property they are working around is irrelevant. It's pretty obvious from that photo that the grasscutter didn't give a sh*t about the boat and I'm afraid care of the property that they are working around is part of any contractor's duty of care.

As has been mentioned, all the grasscutter had to do was work in the opposite direction in order to send the cuttings the other way and not all over the boat. In addition, it's not as you say just about getting a shiny boat dirty, it's also about the potential of stones or other debris to damage the paintwork which won't become apparent for several months.

58 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

It's not like he's put a stone through a window with the strimmer or otherwise caused damage.

But he may have put several stones through his paintwork.

13 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

Well it is a canal forum so the complaint is sort of relevant. ?

Edited by blackrose
  • Unimpressed 1

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

As has been mentioned, all the grasscutter had to do was work in the opposite direction in order to send the cuttings the other way and not all over the boat

So he stops strimmer walks 20m then starts strimmer walks back 20 metres, starts strimmer cuts 20 m throwing some not all the grass, stones dog turds away and then stops strimmer walks 20 metres again start strimmer and carries on where would have been

Then gets sacked anyway for only doing a 1/3 of his work....

I'm sure he'd be delighted at the 'all he had to ' suggestion.

I think a bit of care could have been exercised throttling back the strimmer close to boat but doubtless people complain if a bit is left especially if the boat moves 'look at that they've missed a bit.....'

Another idiom of the modern world everyone is an expert.... you dont want to be doing it like that.....?

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The grasscutter should get his arse kicked and probably sacked or contract not renewed because he didn't do his job properly. I've done plenty of manual/menial jobs for minimum wage and I'm afraid the relative wealth between the labourer and the person whose property they are working around is irrelevant.

In my day job as a live events lighting technician, I unintentionally had someone sacked because I was sent a 16A male-male cable ('widowmaker'). I disagree strongly with the outcome because the poor minimum wage warehouse cretin tasked with making-up hundreds of new cables because of a frantically busy period should never be put in the position where he is so overworked and under-incentivised that they make those errors. It's a procedural issue, not a personal one, and the blame lies squarely at the door of those who have created the environment to allow the mistake to happen.

Likewise, in this instance, the relative wealth discrepancy is relevant. It's relevant because you're advocating that someone who potentially already struggles to put food on the table is sacked (with all of the future employability implications that that brings) for making an entirely inconsequential error; literally, in this case, getting cut grass on someone else's property It's this sort of attitude that allows inequality to flourish — the quality of the job performed is very obviously linked to the pay attached; would you really have your next airline flight flown by someone on minimum wage?  'Oh but he could have smashed a window' is entirely irrelevant, because they have not actually smashed a window.

Being realistic, it shouldn't be that minimum wage is lower than that needed to actually live in the first place. If you want a job done well, with accountability, pay for it.

1 hour ago, Chagall said:

Be thankful they cut it, at least you can see where the ankle twisting holes are and the dog mess!  

Like the bottom Cape lock on the GU. the pub cuts the top and don't mention the lock moorings where you want to get off

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I did not blame the grasscutter (or whatever the job is called) but merely suggested that he may not be stupid or malicious... I have sympathy for low wage workers... but OP should complain and let CRT deal with it(find a better contractor at higher price point? )

35 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

In my day job as a live events lighting technician, I unintentionally had someone sacked because I was sent a 16A male-male cable ('widowmaker'). I disagree strongly with the outcome because the poor minimum wage warehouse cretin tasked with making-up hundreds of new cables because of a frantically busy period should never be put in the position where he is so overworked and under-incentivised that they make those errors. It's a procedural issue, not a personal one, and the blame lies squarely at the door of those who have created the environment to allow the mistake to happen.

The fault there is definitely in the process. The cables should have been inspected and tested prior to shipping which should catch any mistakes.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Who will employ people at the same rate of pay and just make a bit more profit

usually people with skill command higher rate... if the new contractor can do a better quality job while paying same salary to his employee, he/she deserves every penny. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

usually people with skill command higher rate... if the new contractor can do a better quality job while paying same salary to his employee, he/she deserves every penny. 

I have no idea how you figure that one out; it's clearly not socially just, and definitely not the sort of world I want to live in (as a small business owner). 

Just now, tehmarks said:

I have no idea how you figure that one out; it's clearly not socially just, and definitely not the sort of world I want to live in (as a small business owner). 

as a small business owner you pay higher than market rate(for same skill/experience)? I doubt it. And I doubt its sustainable.

7 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

People with skills command a higher rate? What world are you living in?

Tell that to a nurse and a banker.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

People with skills command a higher rate? What world are you living in?

Tell that to a nurse and a banker.

should have said in a non monopoly market... nurses operate in a near monopoly market in UK.. elsewhere they are paid pretty well.

as to bankers, yes.. not all bankers paid same.. even within same area of work.

3 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

A couple or three tarps hung down the cabin side would save a lot of angst. 

I don't carry tarps on my boat and I also don't know Fountains timetable as to when they would be cutting beside my boat. So if it was me I don't see how I could have deployed them.

23 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

as a small business owner you pay higher than market rate(for same skill/experience)? I doubt it. And I doubt its sustainable.

As a small business owner I pay my freelancers exactly the same rate I myself command for the same work, which is the fair market rate for the work we do. I don't do work for clients that underpay, and I don't underpay my freelancers to line my own pockets.  And I never will. Why would I support a race to the bottom just for my own (very temporary) gain?

Edit to add: obviously my own business is somewhat more niche than grass-cutting, but I'd say that if you can't afford to pay your staff a wage on which they can realistically actually live, then your business is unsustainable and exploitative. If you can afford to, and you still don't, your business is plainly and simply exploitative, and that is inexcusable.

Edited by tehmarks