Grass cutting contractors. Dim, or deliberately stupid

Pennine

Featured Posts

Off doing a bit of shopping, to return to the boat to find this... and the cut full of grass cuttings. Does this idiot wielding the strimmer not realise if they traversed the other way, the cuttings would not be sprayed all over the boat? Or is it deliberate?

IMG_20210621_173721[1].jpg

5 minutes ago, Pennine said:

Off doing a bit of shopping, to return to the boat to find this... and the cut full of grass cuttings. Does this idiot wielding the strimmer not realise if they traversed the other way, the cuttings would not be sprayed all over the boat? Or is it deliberate?

I have to say when they have been past me they have been very good and stopped strimming long before the moored boats...be that a line or a single boat....which I thought was the guidance they have. Can I ask where this was? I would send the pic into CRT either via twitter or email to see what they have to say as its not really acceptable due to the damage that can be caused to the boat.

Err, that is deliberate, and should be reported to CRT. Showering a lovely Beacon Boat like that is not on. It actually looks like it's been cut and strimmed, and then a leaf blower used to plaster the side of your boat.

They came down our way a week or so ago, one mower, one guy with strimmer in use, and two guys, one with strimmer over shoulder, one with Bush cutter over shoulder. Came past one way and then back again an hour later.

Just the other side of the Weedon bridge, the strimmer man had an attack of stop/start bankside cutting, there was no obvious reason for the random weeds that were left standing

20210621_185219.jpg

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Pennine said:

I will often defend the contractors against the usual lazy/stupid complaints but that looks out of order to me and absolutely avoidable 

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, Pennine said:

Just think of all the little stones / pieces of gravel that have been shot into your paintwork, and you won't see the reusult for many weeks until the rust appears !!!

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just think of all the little stones / pieces of gravel that have been shot into your paintwork, and you won't see the reusult for many weeks until the rust appears !!!

he isnt worried about that, just the grass left on his walkway

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Err, that is deliberate, and should be reported to CRT. Showering a lovely Beacon Boat like that is not on. It actually looks like it's been cut and strimmed, and then a leaf blower used to plaster the side of your boat.

They came down our way a week or so ago, one mower, one guy with strimmer in use, and two guys, one with strimmer over shoulder, one with Bush cutter over shoulder. Came past one way and then back again an hour later.

Just the other side of the Weedon bridge, the strimmer man had an attack of stop/start bankside cutting, there was no obvious reason for the random weeds that were left standing

20210621_185219.jpg

The patches are left to balance all the complaints that CRT receive saying that the grass shouldn't be cut.  So now they leave random bits uncut.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Most of Fountains guys appear to be more machine operator than groundsman.

They are paid to cut grass not manage Wimbledon,  I suspect many are on short term contracts and just paid to operate the kit, let's be honest it doesn't require a degree in Horticulture to walk behind a mower or swing a strimmer, I've done a summer grass cutting contract and it's all about production 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, tree monkey said:

They are paid to cut grass not manage Wimbledon,  I suspect many are on short term contracts and just paid to operate the kit, let's be honest it doesn't require a degree in Horticulture to walk behind a mower or swing a strimmer, I've done a summer grass cutting contract and it's all about production 

Probably never even gave the boat a thought, been told to start at point A and go in that direction. Being paid minimum wage on a short term contract doesn't encourage one to think carefully about someone else's multi-thousand pound toy; if anything, the reverse!

A lengthsman who cared about the canals might think differently, but you know what they say about paying peanuts.

• Greenie 1

Looks like Fountains have given up on the South Oxford. No evidence of any grass cutting for months. Yes, I do realise stuff grows quicker at this time of year, but surely frequency should be adjusted accordingly,

Edited by Nightwatch

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Looks like Fountains have given up on the South Oxford. No evidence of any grass cutting for months. Yes, I do realise stuff goes quicker at this time of year, but surely frequency should be adjusted accordingly,

I strongly suspect the contract is based on number of visits as opposed to quality, so as long as the cut is done once a month, or whatever the frequency is, the contract is complied with.

Quality based contracts are much more expensive 

• Greenie 2

33 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Looks like Fountains have given up on the South Oxford. No evidence of any grass cutting for months. Yes, I do realise stuff goes quicker at this time of year, but surely frequency should be adjusted accordingly,

Might be one of the pilot areas for less\no grass cutting as mentioned in the boaters update a while ago.

• Greenie 2

20 hours ago, Pennine said:

Cart are aware and someone's arse is going  to be kicked very hard.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Looks like Fountains have given up on the South Oxford. No evidence of any grass cutting for months. Yes, I do realise stuff grows quicker at this time of year, but surely frequency should be adjusted accordingly,

On the S Stratford loys of the locks have been mown but not the lock moorings where you are likely to hop on and off.