Shelves on sloping cabin side.

Featured Posts

Why not buy a router and knock one up yourself?

You can get one for not alot that will do that and a few bits of scrap ply will make you a good enough jig to make it all safely.

Failing that have a look at DW Mouldings, Sandy-they may have something similar.

I assume the shelves fit into the slot, and if so I am not sure the section you show would not be prone to snapping because of the leverage from the front of the shelf. It also does nothing to support stop items on the shelves falling off the ends.

I think that I would cut end pieces that conform to the cabin side and then either with a routed groove or battens screwed to the end pieces fit the shelves onto the end pieces.

18mm ply. Panel saw the the lot out, except drill a couple of holes in centre vertical bit and jig saw or keyhole saw that out, moulding along ouside edges, varnish. I new a chap that misstook a pint of varnish for a pint of Guiness and drank it. He had a horrible death but a lovely finish.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Failing that have a look at DW Mouldings, Sandy-they may have something similar.

The quote is from DW.

45 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I assume the shelves fit into the slot, and if so I am not sure the section you show would not be prone to snapping because of the leverage from the front of the shelf. It also does nothing to support stop items on the shelves falling off the ends.

I think that I would cut end pieces that conform to the cabin side and then either with a routed groove or battens screwed to the end pieces fit the shelves onto the end pieces.

The shelf will have small mouldings around ends and side to stop anything falling off.

We're only talking about tea caddy, salt and pepper pots and such like. No great weight. Previous boat went 14 years with similar arrangement without problems.

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

The quote is from DW.

The shelf will have small mouldings around ends and side to stop anything falling off.

We're only talking about tea caddy, salt and pepper pots and such like. No great weight. Previous boat went 14 years with similar arrangement without problems.

Plywood won't snap off even if you jump on it. A large panel saw used at the correct angle should cut beautifully straight . If your varnishing it use very fine toothed saw. If painting it bits of body filler will smooth out any chips on the edges.

7 hours ago, bizzard said:

18mm ply. Panel saw the the lot out, except drill a couple of holes in centre vertical bit and jig saw or keyhole saw that out, moulding along ouside edges, varnish. I new a chap that misstook a pint of varnish for a pint of Guiness and drank it. He had a horrible death but a lovely finish.

My dad did some work in the local chapel and left his french polish in a wine bottle, they used it for communion on the Sunday 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

My dad did some work in the local chapel and left his french polish in a wine bottle, they used it for communion on the Sunday 

Shades of Jasper Carrott's story of putting a urine sample in the only container he could find, an empty Johnny Walker bottle, and then leaving it on the bus on the way to his hospital appointment.

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Shades of Jasper Carrott's story of putting a urine sample in the only container he could find, an empty Johnny Walker bottle, and then leaving it on the bus on the way to his hospital appointment.

When I worked offshore on rigs you never used shampoo from a bottle left it the shower room

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

Do you mean the shelf on the left here...

This bracket/moulding seems to be slimmer.

Screenshot_20210621-230832_Chrome.jpg

Don't know where you got that pic from!

Yes, that's the one. I measured it and made the profile drawing from that.

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

Do you mean the shelf on the left here...

This bracket/moulding seems to be slimmer.

Screenshot_20210621-230832_Chrome.jpg

Theres a suggestion I never thought of.

Get @matty40s to knock you one up. Just have to have a couple of cuppas less...

?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

We've looked at that this morning, and £300 is a fair price for the oak, ply, trim, labour.

The £300 was just the moulding. I was supplying and fitting rest.

Edited by pearley

On 21/06/2021 at 12:09, bizzard said:

Reminds me about the bloke who drowned in a vat at our local distillery. Supposedly a horrible death although apparently he did get out twice to go to the toilet ?.

On 21/06/2021 at 11:24, PaulJ said:

Why not buy a router and knock one up yourself?

Or a table saw. One angled cut for the back, then a series of parallel cuts for the 18mm wide groove. Could even do it with a portable circular saw with a side fence at a pinch.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately the marina we are in doesn't allow any work where noise might annoy other residents. We've already had our card marked by someone further up the pontoon. So that means doing it all inside the boat with resultant mess.

It will get done, I'll post picture when it's done.

Another way - possibly quieter and cleaner - of constructing this fixing for a light-duty 'floating shelf' could be to make it up from three horizontal sections, 18x45mm / 18x18 / 18x35, screwed and glued.

Use a block plane to bevel the 18x45, or make the depth less than 45mm, or, just bring it forward a little to meet the side of the cabin at the desired angle.

Then finish at either end with a cap.

edit: you could use the shelf in place when clamping the three sections.

Edited by Sir Percy
another thought