Manchester canals

Featured Posts

A stolen car has just been driven into the Rochdale at Smithy Bridge and that's one of the safer bits.

Looks like the op was correct, best stay away from Manchester.

Stone on the T&M is a really good safe place.....oops   have a look at the Stone thread ?

.............Dave

I’ve never had a y issues around Manchester apart from a couple of interesting items round the prop, but that’s hardly unique to an urban area. The places we have had issues have been Lymm (untied ropes leading to the boat at the bottom of someone’s garden), Chester (scratched graffiti on the boat) and Whitchurch (stolen gas bottle) - none of them obviously rough areas.

We came down Johnson’s Hillock and Wigan with a boat who was first time on the L&L the other day, who was pleasantly surprised by Blackburn, another often maligned place.

• 2 months later...

I spent the night in Castlefield Basin last Friday night. I was on the visitor moorings in the Staffordshire arms (not a typo or a pub for those that don't know, there are actually two arms side by side). I was surprised how few boats were there. I arrived around 11am and was expecting to take hobsons's choice but I had my pick. My only moan would be that the woman who runs the hotel / air bnb boats, moored on the water point for over 2.5 hours. I didn't need water but I felt sorry for couple who needed water and hovered for nearly an hour. The woman was cleaning the boats not filling them with water - selfish.

On the plus side, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Lots of people around, no trouble or bad behaviour, rubbish / recycling bins, very central, could walk everywhere. I would say it was quiet even for a Friday night but after a night out with my cousin, I sorta passed out when I got back to the boat!!😀😁😂

The Police Community Support Officers were over by the Manchester Bowl and I motioned across the arms if they'd like a cuppa. They both came over for a cup of tea and a most interesting chat. They do patrol the area by the canal often and are well known in community. They said that because they mainly patrol the same beats and the fact that they are not police officers meant that the local community tended to engage with them much more than conventional police.

There is also another water point by the two massive trip boats and also an elsan point but you need a Bridgewater key to access the elsan point (not the water). You can also moor in the loop if there is space but most of the moorings in the loop are now long term permit holders.

My only other observation is that the closer you get to Manchester,  people become a lot less "wavy" or smiley as you go past.............Big city living............

7 hours ago, jeddlad said:

I spent the night in Castlefield Basin last Friday night. I was on the visitor moorings in the Staffordshire arms (not a typo or a pub for those that don't know, there are actually two arms side by side). I was surprised how few boats were there. I arrived around 11am and was expecting to take hobsons's choice but I had my pick. My only moan would be that the woman who runs the hotel / air bnb boats, moored on the water point for over 2.5 hours. I didn't need water but I felt sorry for couple who needed water and hovered for nearly an hour. The woman was cleaning the boats not filling them with water - selfish.

On the plus side, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Lots of people around, no trouble or bad behaviour, rubbish / recycling bins, very central, could walk everywhere. I would say it was quiet even for a Friday night but after a night out with my cousin, I sorta passed out when I got back to the boat!!😀😁😂

The Police Community Support Officers were over by the Manchester Bowl and I motioned across the arms if they'd like a cuppa. They both came over for a cup of tea and a most interesting chat. They do patrol the area by the canal often and are well known in community. They said that because they mainly patrol the same beats and the fact that they are not police officers meant that the local community tended to engage with them much more than conventional police.

There is also another water point by the two massive trip boats and also an elsan point but you need a Bridgewater key to access the elsan point (not the water). You can also moor in the loop if there is space but most of the moorings in the loop are now long term permit holders.

My only other observation is that the closer you get to Manchester,  people become a lot less "wavy" or smiley as you go past.............Big city living............

Is there another water point other than the one circled (where we filled up last visit), or is this the one you meant when talking about the trip boats? I'm surprised the couple needing water didn't just breast up.

I agree about mooring on the arms, don't even bother trying to moor on the "Castlefield visitor moorings (6-8 boats)" even if your map says they exist, they were almost all full when we were there a couple of years ago, I don't know if they even exist any more since the Peel rule changes, and if you take the boat down there hoping to moor and can't then turning at the end is a b*itch due to silting up...

castlefield.png

3 hours ago, IanD said:

Is there another water point other than the one circled (where we filled up last visit), or is this the one you meant when talking about the trip boats? I'm surprised the couple needing water didn't just breast up.

I agree about mooring on the arms, don't even bother trying to moor on the "Castlefield visitor moorings (6-8 boats)" even if your map says they exist, they were almost all full when we were there a couple of years ago, I don't know if they even exist any more since the Peel rule changes, and if you take the boat down there hoping to moor and can't then turning at the end is a b*itch due to silting up...

castlefield.png

There is another water point at the end of the (closest to Rice Street) Staffordshire arm. It's hidden away by the bridge. The one you have ringed is by the 2 large trip boats. The other water point is at the end of the Staffordshire arm under a bridge, almost opposite one of the hotel / air bnb boats

I agree re breasting up, that's what I would have done but they were being polite and just hovered............

Edited by jeddlad

On 10/09/2021 at 02:24, jeddlad said:

I spent the night in Castlefield Basin last Friday night. I was on the visitor moorings in the Staffordshire arms (not a typo or a pub for those that don't know, there are actually two arms side by side).

We always used to know them as the "tuning fork arms".

• Greenie 1

I would disagree that Manchester is canal or boater-friendly. Many other cities have much better mooring facilities for visiting boats in both the city centres and suburbs; Birmingham, London, Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield are all better.

Castlefield isn't even a particularly great part of the city nowadays like it used to be; even if I could grab a mooring, I wouldn't feel very comfortable leaving the boat in the vicinity for the day to go and visit attractions. Beyond Castlefield, there are compromised secure moorings like the little basin off the start of the Ashton Canal which require a key/code to exit on foot - not ideal! Going the other way, Worsley or Sale are probably the first decent moorings out of the city centre, yet these are 6 or 7 miles away and limited in the case of Sale.

It's a shame because with a bit of effort it could become a great place to visit by boat, but as it stands it isn't, although the PCSO presence around Castlefield is a positive step to be fair.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I would disagree that Manchester is canal or boater-friendly. Many other cities have much better mooring facilities for visiting boats in both the city centres and suburbs; Birmingham, London, Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield are all better.

Castlefield isn't even a particularly great part of the city nowadays like it used to be; even if I could grab a mooring, I wouldn't feel very comfortable leaving the boat in the vicinity for the day to go and visit attractions. Beyond Castlefield, there are compromised secure moorings like the little basin off the start of the Ashton Canal which require a key/code to exit on foot - not ideal! Going the other way, Worsley or Sale are probably the first decent moorings out of the city centre, yet these are 6 or 7 miles away and limited in the case of Sale.

It's a shame because with a bit of effort it could become a great place to visit by boat, but as it stands it isn't, although the PCSO presence around Castlefield is a positive step to be fair.

I believe Thomas Telford basin now needs a residents key fob to unlock the gate not a code, so if you moor in there you can't get out.

I do agree that Manchester is nothing like as boater-friendly as the other cities mentioned and many others, even though it obviously could be. It's difficult to understand why, maybe it's historical from the bad old days of the Rochdale Nine and the current non-interest/license issues of Peel on the Bridgewater? Or is it that the other towns/cities see the canals as a positive feature and invest in renewing them but Manchester council just doesn't give a sh*t?

I’m repeating myself from with what I said on other Manchester threads but I’ll say it again. 
Piccadilly Village is a safe place to moor. 
I spent a fortnight there with no trouble and felt confident leaving the boat during the day and for the odd night. 
I moored in a very short arm by the crane. Most foot traffic is to and fro between the tram to trains. So it’s very quiet outside peak hours. It also claims to be a Canal Watch Area. 
Plus;
Just as you cross the Aquaduct heading up the Ashton there are mornings on the offside in front of some flats. Yep you’re trapped on the off side for the night unless you get the code to the gate but it may be an idea for those who feel vulnerable on the towpath side. 
I’d always passed these moorings thinking it said NO mooring until one of the residents walking by asked me why I didn’t use them. So after crossing and reading the sign properly, I saw they are 24 hr only and some comment about not running engines. I moored outside this bloke’s apartment and he very kindly gave me the code and his personal number should I need anything. 
So moor there if you want, remember to respect the residents with a bit of quiet and privacy because they are very friendly. A rare case of residents wanting boaters outside their homes. 

Edited by Goliath

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’m repeating myself from with what I said on other Manchester threads but I’ll say it again. 
Piccadilly Village is a safe place to moor. 
I spent a fortnight there with no trouble and felt confident leaving the boat during the day and for the odd night. 
I moored in a very short arm by the crane. Most foot traffic is to and fro between the tram to trains. So it’s very quiet outside peak hours. It also claims to be a Canal Watch Area. 
Plus;
Just as you cross the Aquaduct heading up the Ashton there are mornings on the offside in front of some flats. Yep you’re trapped on the off side for the night unless you get the code to the gate but it may be an idea for those who feel vulnerable on the towpath side. 
I’d always passed these moorings thinking it said NO mooring until one of the residents walking by asked me why I didn’t use them. So after crossing and reading the sign properly, I saw they are 24 hr only and some comment about not running engines. I moored outside this bloke’s apartment and he very kindly gave me the code and his personal number should I need anything. 
So moor there if you want, remember to respect the residents with a bit of quiet and privacy because they are very friendly. A rare case of residents wanting boaters outside their homes. 

Assuming you mean Thomas Telford basin, the (friendly) residents used to be happy to give boaters a code but now the gate apparently uses key fobs, so you can't get out -- or even if one of them lets you out with their fob, you might not be able to get back in...

37 minutes ago, IanD said:

Assuming you mean Thomas Telford basin, the (friendly) residents used to be happy to give boaters a code but now the gate apparently uses key fobs, so you can't get out -- or even if one of them lets you out with their fob, you might not be able to get back in...

No not the Basin. 
Just before the basin, before the footbridge. 
Immediately  over the aquaduct on the right (should I say starboard)

Heading UP the Ashton, away from Manchester. 
Opposite where the new (2yrs new?) mooring rings are on towpath side 

Just now, Goliath said:

No not the Basin. 

But I guess you’d need the same key fob. 

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No not the Basin. 

It looks like we'll be heading that way at the end of the month, but the other way, from Ashton under Lyne.  I suspect we won't have enough daylight to get to Manchester, do you know of anywhere else on the Ashton it's safe to stay overnight?

7 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

It looks like we'll be heading that way at the end of the month, but the other way, from Ashton under Lyne.  I suspect we won't have enough daylight to get to Manchester, do you know of anywhere else on the Ashton it's safe to stay overnight?

A couple of years ago we stopped overnight on the towpath 2 or 3 locks up from the junction, near to the unused end of New Islington Marina. Absolutely fine. Very few people about in the evening, but more next morning - commuters, joggers, dog walkers, cyclists. 

The area has seen huge redevelopment in recent years, and is much cleaner and tidier than 40 years ago when I first passed that way. The idea that it is any less safe than other urban areas should be consigned to the history books.

• Happy 1

12 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

You should have enough daylight if you start from the top of the flight early enough. 
I’ve moored at top before with no bother. 
Can’t remember off hand how long it takes me to do that flight on my own. But if I were start at 9am I’d be confident in making Piccadilly before dark. Especially going down. 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

You should have enough daylight if you start from the top of the flight early enough. 
I’ve moored at top before with no bother. 
Can’t remember off hand how long it takes me to do that flight on my own. But if I were start at 9am I’d be confident in making Piccadilly before dark. Especially going down. 

Sorry I should have been clearer - this is a hire boat so it's a 2pm start.  I reckon the two of us about five hours, so it's a bit tight if it's going dark around 7.  I wouldn't bother if it was our own boat but I don't want to get dobbed in to the hire company..   

47 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No not the Basin. 

Yes, it's all inside the same gated area 😞

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Sorry I should have been clearer - this is a hire boat so it's a 2pm start.  I reckon the two of us about five hours, so it's a bit tight if it's going dark around 7.  I wouldn't bother if it was our own boat but I don't want to get dobbed in to the hire company..   

ahh! I see. 

I have heard of boats mooring up outside the Sports Arena. But I don’t think I’d wanna do it. 

I’d be tempted to tell the hire company your intentions. Would they mind if you did the last few locks ‘at dusk’?

There’s a pub maybe half way down. 
By a lock. Looks rough but I’d be willing to try over night there if I had a mate riding shotgun. 

57 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A couple of years ago we stopped overnight on the towpath 2 or 3 locks up from the junction, near to the unused end of New Islington Marina. Absolutely fine. Very few people about in the evening, but more next morning - commuters, joggers, dog walkers, cyclists. 

The area has seen huge redevelopment in recent years, and is much cleaner and tidier than 40 years ago when I first passed that way. The idea that it is any less safe than other urban areas should be consigned to the history books.

Thanks - I imagine we can probably get that far.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

This redevelopment is papering over the cracks; there are still a lot of problems. If people ask about a secure mooring in this area then the best advice is the locked basin.

Why consign it to the history books? Other towns and city councils have invested and worked hard on the their canal front to make it a pleasant and safe place to visit and stay for both gongoozlers and boaters; Manchester Council haven't done much within this area since the Castlefield regeneration 30 years ago, so it is still much less pleasant than a lot of other urban areas.

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

The 2 o'clock start isn't wholly reliable either I'd suggest. They've only got to get behind due to a slow handover or 2 and you might easily be looking at a 4pm start. Don't overstretch yourself on day 1 would be my advice. :)

If it ends up much later than 2,  I’d be tempted to stay at Portland Basin for the night. 
Go in to town for a few beers and a takeaway. And take a run down to Manchester first thing. 
I’d hate to rush down that flight just to get something wrapped around me prop as it’s getting dark. 

Could always cruise up to the first lock of the Huddersfield and turn, just for summat to do. Isn’t there a club house there?

28 minutes ago, Goliath said:

If it ends up much later than 2,  I’d be tempted to stay at Portland Basin for the night. 
Go in to town for a few beers and a takeaway. And take a run down to Manchester first thing. 
I’d hate to rush down that flight just to get something wrapped around me prop as it’s getting dark. 

Could always cruise up to the first lock of the Huddersfield and turn, just for summat to do. Isn’t there a club house there?

That's pretty much what Shire Cruisers are suggesting.  

I'd already made the assumption that it would probably be Sunday morning but it would have been nice to get a flying start.

The way things are going on the Rochdale with stoppages etc though I'm not taking it for granted we'll get through to Sowerby Bridge.  This is the down side of hiring, when you have to keep to a schedule.