Llangollen canal depth

RichLech

Featured Posts

Just about to join the Llangollen for the first time. Reading about depth from Trevor to Llangollen. One guide says  unwise for boats drawing more than 21" . I am 24" . Will I be able to get right to Llangollen?

• Greenie 1

I've been up there several times in recent years and draw a tad more than 24". No issues although like you I read the warnings. Mind you I'm based on the South Oxford so lack of depth is no novelty. ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, RichLech said:

Just about to join the Llangollen for the first time. Reading about depth from Trevor to Llangollen. One guide says  unwise for boats drawing more than 21" . I am 24" . Will I be able to get right to Llangollen?

I draw 2ft 8in and made it last year....It wont be quick going up especially in the tunnels and the last bit on the feeder from Trevor to Llangollen...stay in the middle as much as possible,,,theres a sand bar below the second lock at new marton which can be interesting. Just take it steady and find the sweet spot for your boat with regard to revs vs speed over  ground....too many revs and you will just suck the water away.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, RichLech said:

Yes

• Greenie 1

I did the trip through to the basin at Llangollen 3 weeks ago and we draw around 2'6".  A bit of a slog on the bit between Trevor and Llangollen and we did run aground  a couple of times near the edge on the return trip.  At 24", I think you will be OK.

• Greenie 1

A few years since I've done it, but have made it to Llangollen drawing 3 ft. Went aground a number of times, some quite hard. The flow on the canal seems to scour the channel through the bridge holes, but leaves a sand bar about 20 feet downstream. Hit those a few times! Trevor to Llangollen was narrow and slow, but seemed no shallower than the rest.

7 hours ago, RichLech said:

Did this advice come from an old canal guide? It certainly this used to be the case, especially the feeder from Trevor to Llangollen.

However in the 1980’s that stretch was extensively rebuilt in concrete after a number of big breaches and is much deeper than it used to be.

We draw just 18 inches according to the build record but I think we're deeper however.  Have got as far as Whitchurch today where we used the winding hole to get into the arm. We hit silt and took an age to turn.  Similar story in the arm itself. 

The bywash before going up the locks has been difficult to manoeuvre. Maybe the recent rain hasn't helped. 

1 minute ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

We draw just 18 inches according to the build record but I think we're deeper however.  Have got as far as Whitchurch today where we used the winding hole to get into the arm. We hit silt and took an age to turn.  Similar story in the arm itself. 

The bywash before going up the locks has been difficult to manoeuvre. Maybe the recent rain hasn't helped. 

What rain.