WiFi installers.

Antony Perry

Featured Posts

To start with, you can operate the personal hotspot on your phone, make sure you have a decent amount of data and, bingo, you have wi fi.

For a system that doesn’t rely on your phone, and in the simplest terms, you buy a MiFi gizmo, put a data sim in it, plug it in, and Bob’s your uncle.

You might progress to fitting an external aerial, but this is no different to fitting a tv or radio aerial, and might involve drilling a couple of holes in your boat.

We are in Crick at the moment and are using the EE network, I understand that the Vodafone network is also OK. 

I'm using a rooftop aerial connected to a Huawei B535 router, here is a link to a blog I wrote about our installation.

Edited by Idle Days

The question is not very clear but seems to suggest you may intend on using the WiFi at Crick marina? If this is the case you can simply connect your device to their network if there is sufficient network coverage. Normally you'd need to create an account and pay a fee etc. If there isn't sufficient coverage, you can buy various access points online and set them to operate in "repeater" mode which will effectively act as a booster. That said I wouldn't recommend using the marina WiFi at all because it will only work while you're within range of the marina. 

As others have mentioned, your best bet is probably to look at getting a MiFi device (Mobile WiFi) which is essentially a mobile router that connects to a mobile network (EE, Three, Vodafone etc) to allow you to get access to the internet over WiFi.

It's probably best to get one that can support an external antenna just in case but perhaps see how you get on without an external antenna. I managed to get away without one by just fixing the MiFI router to a porthole using velcro. The device did get a bit hot but this was fixed by using privacy film on the glass. Very primitive but worked a treat, didn't need to drill any holes at all.

We bought a wifi package from 'wifi onboard' - I think that's what they're called. The package comprises an external aerial on a magnetic mount, a wifi router with SIM card pre-installed, a cable to connect the aerial to the router and another cable to connect the router to a USB socket, to charge the battery in the router.

Installation involved:- 

screwing the aerial into the magnetic mount;

placing the mount on the roof and running the aerial connection lead through a window hopper;

plugging the aerial lead into the router;

plugging the router into a USB socket.

Installation cost a couple of beers, which I thoroughly enjoyed?!

• Greenie 1

Given the prices that WiFi onboard charge, and the simplicity of installation, (stick the magnetic aerial to the roof and feed a wire through a window), if you are capable of buying the bits separately,  you will save one or more hundreds of pounds.

In fact, if you can provide a 12v power supply for a Three At Home router, the router could be as good as free with the package.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Given the prices that WiFi onboard charge, and the simplicity of installation, (stick the magnetic aerial to the roof and feed a wire through a window), if you are capable of buying the bits separately,  you will save one or more hundreds of pounds.

In fact, if you can provide a 12v power supply for a Three At Home router, the router could be as good as free with the package.

That was the result of my calculation as well.