Leeds Sanitary Station

Robbo

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, pearley said:

A new sanitary station was built at the bottom of Candle House at Granary Wharf but never opened.

Anyone know why?

This was a murky tale. The elsan point was a planning condition of building the tower. Tower owners had better use of the space, and despite having the thing, opposed any signage to tell boaters it was there. Have spoken to some who managed to collect the key (from the filing cabinet in a disused toilet with a sign Beware of the Leopard -HHGTTG) and use said facility. Then there was a consultation which was a  sign outside on the bridge which nobody could see, a claim that boaters were content with the change, as a result of another illusory consultation, ... after which I rather lost track of it ... _sigh_

• Sad 1

To some extent the reason I have been unable to identify exact location of services using old Nicholson's, new ,Nicholson's, Opencanal ac etc. is clearer. I'll move Tuesday a.m.

Tuesday a.m. contractors turned up.

This is the pontoon that sits at an angle of fifteen degrees to horizontal, not sure why.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

To some extent the reason I have been unable to identify exact location of services using old Nicholson's, new ,Nicholson's, Opencanal ac etc. is clearer. I'll move Tuesday a.m.

Tuesday a.m. contractors turned up.

This is the pontoon that sits at an angle of fifteen degrees to horizontal, not sure why.

12.30 Services now operational thanks to contractors.

I've cleaned the Elsan up, though it's far from perfect.

I think some of the thousands on the showers could be spent on an exhaust fan and two foot of hose.The tap is about three feet from the recieving apparatus and the water is high pressure, I used my own bucket of water to rinse it.

Also removed trash from pontoon and put half the debris round the bin inside it!

There appears to be an empty wet room for the disabled, so maybe the refurbishment is not finished.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

On 26/07/2022 at 13:11, LadyG said:

12.30 Services now operational thanks to contractors.

I've cleaned the Elsan up, though it's far from perfect.

I think some of the thousands on the showers could be spent on an exhaust fan and two foot of hose.The tap is about three feet from the recieving apparatus and the water is high pressure, I used my own bucket of water to rinse it.

Also removed trash from pontoon and put half the debris round the bin inside it!

There appears to be an empty wet room for the disabled, so maybe the refurbishment is not finished.

You will note that I used this facility on the 26th July having waited at pontoon for contractors to fix the problem. I am still seeing the original notice on my stoppages map, dated 24th July.

Open or Closed?

Is the Elsan at Castleford Open or Closed. I think original Notice was 7th July, pumpout broken, CRT to attend.

Is anyone in charge of operations?

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

You will note that I used this facility on the 26th July having waited at pontoon for contractors to fix the problem. I am still seeing the original notice on my stoppages map, dated 24th July.

Open or Closed?

Is the Elsan at Castleford Open or Closed. I think original Notice was 7th July, pumpout broken, CRT to attend.

Probably worth a phone call, email or live chat to CRT to clarify. We do this all the time. Shouldn't be necessary but I think it is better to try and work with them and get them to improve things for the benefit of everybody.

We have had fairly quick responses on the Live Chat facility recently.

43 minutes ago, jpcdriver said:

Probably worth a phone call, email or live chat to CRT to clarify. We do this all the time. Shouldn't be necessary but I think it is better to try and work with them and get them to improve things for the benefit of everybody.

We have had fairly quick responses on the Live Chat facility recently.

I've just tried the phone call, but they are just reading from the script.

I know the pumpout at Castleford is not working. I am told the Elsan is working, as it has not been notified as being faulty,  i am not convinced I don't even know if there is one, it's not a given.

I visited the Elsan at Leeds Sanitary, on Monday, the stoppages notice was dated Sunday, when  I arrived it was closed, when I left the next day it was open but the original stoppages notice has not been altered.. There are problems there, but it's either open or its not from my point of view. It should be clear.

I tried the licencing officer, she s on holiday.

I've sent an email asking to be advised of any working Elsan within ten miles radius. They usually take five working days.

Edited by LadyG

@LadyG Castleford elsan was working on Wednesday morning. But you will pass Lemonroyd elsan before then. It's tucked in round the back of the red services block, on the side facing the marina. So you shouldn't have to cross your legs for too long.🤣

Or maybe it is a pump out you need? Perhaps you need a shewee to go off your back deck? Equality at last. 

Edited by Jim Riley

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

Open or Closed?

Its probably because CRT issue a stoppage notice when they know it breaks and only lift it when the contractor who went to fix it contacts them and tell them its working.  When I use to do repairs for the local council in the public toilets I didn't get on the phone as soon as it was fixed. I told my boss that evening when I got back to base and he would pass the information to the young lady in our office next day. At some point she would maybe tell the council its done and raise the invoice.

Just now, Jim Riley said:

@LadyG Castleford was working on Wednesday morning. But you will pass Lemonroyd before then. It's tucked in round the back of the red services block, on the side facing the marina. So you shouldn't have to cross your legs for too long.🤣

Thanks, yes that's good to know, I've already passed Lemonroyd, but I think I'll now have to abandon my summer cruise up to Ripon as I am not happy with engine, the RCR don't cover rivers, and I've yet to find anyone reliable to work on my boat, sigh!

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Thanks, yes that's good to know, I've already passed Lemonroyd, but I think I'll now have to abandon my summer cruise up to Ripon as I am not happy with engine, the RCR don't cover rivers, and I've yet to find anyone reliable to work on my boat, sigh!

Turn right at Castleford and come up the hill then? Do Huddersfield and then over to Littleborough? Or Todmorden at least. No water at the moment though, I'll struggle myself over the next few weeks to get back up the hill, mooring one pound down from Rochdale Summit pound. Have just been lurking down there waiting to get in Castleford Dry dock, now surveyed, all fine, and then epoxied and new anodes. Boat now at Fall Ing, we flit back and forth on the train. Might be moving Saturday and Sunday up to Mirfield. 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its probably because CRT issue a stoppage notice when they know it breaks and only lift it when the contractor who went to fix it contacts them and tell them its working.  When I use to do repairs for the local council in the public toilets I didn't get on the phone as soon as it was fixed. I told my boss that evening when I got back to base and he would pass the information to the young lady in our office next day. At some point she would maybe tell the council its done and raise the invoice.

Yes, that works well in business, but not for my business!

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

Turn right at Castleford and come up the hill then? Do Huddersfield and then over to Littleborough? Or Todmorden at least. No water at the moment though, I'll struggle myself over the next few weeks to get back up the hill, mooring one pound down from Rochdale Summit pound. Have just been lurking down there waiting to get in Castleford Dry dock, now surveyed, all fine, and then epoxied and new anodes. Boat now at Fall Ing, we flit back and forth on the train. Might be moving Saturday and Sunday up to Mirfield. 

Yes, started on Plan B, it's a bugger, there are locks, twenty seven of them so far! I have also noted each and every Sanitary Services, I've not started on Notices and Stoppages as they usually kick in the day before I depart.

Edited by LadyG

14 hours ago, LadyG said:

RCR cover the River Trent

3 hours ago, MrsM said:

RCR cover the River Trent

Good to know, but not clear on their website.

Also there is a get out clause, "if possible" ... You may recall I was stuck at Barrowford for months, RCR aka their Contracting Company could not move me, even for £450!

So, while it sounds like a good idea, I won't be joining.

Edited by LadyG

23 hours ago, LadyG said:

If you are not a member, you said you don't intend to join, what difference does it make

26 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you are not a member, you said you don't intend to join, what difference does it make

I'm just passing a comment, as I have been unable to find a reliable person to service and come to the boat if necessary.

So  I wanted to go to Ripon, and I looked at their website, it seems they don't cover rivers, that's the way I read it. So I decided not to join and not to venture further. That is my reasoning.

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm just passing a comment, as I have been unable to find a reliable person to service and come to the boat if necessary.

So  I wanted to go to Ripon, and I looked at their website, it seems they don't cover rivers, that's the way I read it. So I decided not to join and not to venture further. That is my reasoning.

So if you are not a member how did they let you down by not towing you?

• Love 1

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The RCR provide a breakdown service, which is what you are familiar with, but they also have a contracting service, which is available at cost. That cost was quoted at £450 for a day, however it involved the use of an outboard, not a tow, and the outboard required a working rudder.

I'm not being critical of RCR, they can't be expected to do everything for £160 per annum. One needs to read and accept the terms and conditions, and the limitations.