Leeds Sanitary Station

Robbo

Featured Posts

Hello,

Looks like this station will be unavailable to the majority of boaters apart from the ones moored in the dock.   Of course there's no communication regarding this from CRT.  They've spent thousands on this station last year revamping it, just replaced the pump as the old one was was part of the regular closures as it wasn't upto the job and now only a handful of boaters have the benefit from it.

31 minutes ago, pearley said:

Thought the resident boaters had their own pumpout in the arm on the right as you enter.

Pump out is unaffected and still available to all.   Don’t believe the one in the residential area works anymore.

Edited by Robbo

3 minutes ago, pearley said:

So does the new one operate on a different system? Different card, token...

Presumably water, rubbish and Elsan still available.

no changes to the pump out, it’s the shower/elsan/toilets that will now be inaccessible.

On 19/06/2021 at 12:27, Robbo said:

Looks like this station will be unavailable to the majority of boaters apart from the ones moored in the dock.   Of course there's no communication regarding this from CRT.  They've spent thousands on this station last year revamping it, just replaced the pump as the old one was was part of the regular closures as it wasn't upto the job and now only a handful of boaters have the benefit from it.

Just received the official CRT notice about the facilities reopening but only to designated key holders (i.e. the moorers in Leeds Dock). Technically that means no CRT toilet, shower and elsan between Dobsons Locks (Apperley Bridge) and Castleford. Although Lemonroyd Elsan is accessible it is not CRT (part of the Aquavista Marina) and the toilets and showers there are only accessible to moorers. So 2 days journey between CRT services. We are not well provisioned already in the North but this is getting ridiculous. I think next time I pass Leeds Sanitary Station with a full cassette I might have to take it for a walk over the bridge to the CRT office and ask them for suggestions as to where I might deposit it!

This is exactly the type of thing that tempts boaters into emptying their cassette into the canal.

Have crt actually given a reason for the change?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No reason given, although the Elsan point seems to have been 'abused' regularly over the last few years. Robbo says the pump has been replaced as it wasn't up to the job, but I seem to remember a number of stoppage messages quoting inappropriate items being cleared from the pump - like duvets or towels.

49 minutes ago, jpcdriver said:

No reason given, although the Elsan point seems to have been 'abused' regularly over the last few years. Robbo says the pump has been replaced as it wasn't up to the job, but I seem to remember a number of stoppage messages quoting inappropriate items being cleared from the pump - like duvets or towels.

Yep the old pump has been acting up for the last past 3 years as it’s basically just old and wasn’t updated updated the refurbished the whole place (which would have been a ideal time to renew the system!).   It has now been replaced with with a new one that looks to be better at handling the waste.   The previous stoppages have been basically blamed on vandalism which basically has been tissue paper that doesn’t break down.  It’s also been mentioned (on the ground by the maintenance crews) that basically theirs too much solids and not enough water going threw the system (not helped by the house above been empty).

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No CRT have not given a reason, the communication (unless you moor in the dock or pester them) has been basically just what’s been on the stoppages site.

I had the email about this too and thought it was a typo! Lemonroyd to Dobsons locks is a ridiculous journey length to go with no facilities given that most boats will want to spend at least a day in Leeds!

Saw the reasoning from CRT on this on Twitter, seems they are blaming boaters for whatever the issues have been with it, so this is a test to see if the same happens with just the moorers having access.  Not a good precedent.

Edited by john6767

Yes I did hear a story from some boaters when I was there a few weeks ago; apparently its a well known local boater with a drug problem causing the vandalism. They said he was known to CRT and enforcement processes were on going against him for licence issues etc as well. Whether this solves things or not remains to be seen.

profile_mask2.png

Now back to normal from Friday due to feedback received.

Notice Alert

Aire & Calder Navigation Main Line
Starts At: Leeds Sanitary Station
Ends At: Leeds Sanitary Station

Wednesday 23 June 2021 15:30 until further notice

Type: Advice
Reason: Information

Original message:

Following numerous closures of the sanitary station in Leeds we have changed the pump and had commenced a trial, providing it for those moored in Leeds Dock only. If that trial had proved successful our intention was to then re-open it to all boaters.

Following feedback received, we have taken the decision to change this approach. The trial will now include all boaters; the locks will be changed back to the BW standard and it will be open again from Friday.

We will review the outcome of this trial over the next few weeks

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Yes i saw, and the protest was to be timed for CRTs Leeds waterside festival thingy?

I wondered if CRT are obliged to provide the elsan to Clarence dock boats as part of the mooring contract and were under pressure from those boats to find a solution to the constant blockages?

• 1 year later...
On 21/06/2021 at 18:17, jpcdriver said:

Just received the official CRT notice about the facilities reopening but only to designated key holders (i.e. the moorers in Leeds Dock). Technically that means no CRT toilet, shower and elsan between Dobsons Locks (Apperley Bridge) and Castleford. Although Lemonroyd Elsan is accessible it is not CRT (part of the Aquavista Marina) and the toilets and showers there are only accessible to moorers. So 2 days journey between CRT services. We are not well provisioned already in the North but this is getting ridiculous. I think next time I pass Leeds Sanitary Station with a full cassette I might have to take it for a walk over the bridge to the CRT office and ask them for suggestions as to where I might deposit it!

I'm in the same position, had Leeds vlockies telling me about CRT superloo facilities but not about lack of Elsan ahead of me!!!

I stopped at a Leeds sanitary station, on river, only to find it closed yesterday and no sign of activity today.. It's just ridiculous.

Is the Castleford junction elsan working? Pump out closed from 7th Jul tfn.

Where can I empty this cassette?

I'll phone Lemonroyd tomorrow.

I looked at stoppages map for E&W, it's obvious it's better to move south if you want to actually do a bit of boating.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, pearley said:

A new sanitary station was built at the bottom of Candle House at Granary Wharf but never opened.

Anyone know why?

Wasnt it something to do with it not belonging to CRT? But rather the developers.

15 minutes ago, pearley said:

Possibly but thenwhy build it in the first place.

At least I got to look inside even if I couldn't use it!

Probably some sort of dispute over subsequent maintenance or some such. But that is just a guess.

@TheBiscuits may know.