Central Heating pump

Clodi

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, I need a pump for the radiators for my central-heating on my 57' narrowboat & I'm trying to find a 12volt one rather than use a 230v through the inverter.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Google Solar water pumps. Many seem to use them nowadays.

I have used one and carry one as an emergency spare.  They work just as well as pumps costing four times as much.  I can't remember how much current they draw, but I seem to recall they are comparable to Jabsco ones.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I have used one and carry one as an emergency spare.  They work just as well as pumps costing four times as much.  I can't remember how much current they draw, but I seem to recall they are comparable to Jabsco ones.

For the price you can afford to carry the spare and still save a lot. When I looked the current was on par with the Alde 29 series pumps.

What heating load are you controlling? How many rads? If you are around the 5 kw mark there are many DC pumps on Amazon/Ebay from £10 upwards. It may also be worth wiring in a pipe stat so that you only pump when the boiler is hot and you don't circulate cold water.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I haven't been able to actually visit my boat for nearly a year being stuck outside the UK due to lockdown but thankfully we're back next week & looking forward to continuing a total fit out.

I'm installing a brand new Heritage Uno cooker/hot water & central heating system, hence my question. I have a 230v pump which I was going to install but have now decided I want to avoid relying on an inverter wherever possible.

15 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I'm installing a brand new Heritage Uno cooker/hot water & central heating system, hence my question. I have a 230v pump which I was going to install but have now decided I want to avoid relying on an inverter wherever possible.

Doesn't the Uno need 230V ac to run the burner? In which case you will need an inverter running whenever it is in use anyway.

• Greenie 1

Ive got one of those cheap solar pumps that runs through a heat exchanger. Only ever use it when I need to use the back boiler to heat the calorifier and have to say although it was cheap and works well it is noisy.

I use either a 230v or bolin pump for my rads and when the bolin gives up I will bite the bullet and get something like one of those very expensive but quiet Jabscos or similar.

• Love 1