Dometic Travel power not working

debbieg

Featured Posts

Hi all.... Could anyone shed any light on why the travel power won't work on the boat please? It was refurbished in January by a very reputable electrical engineer, hubby put it back on the boat and it has been used about ten times since then. Two weeks ago it stopped working.... No red or green lights even showing up. It has been taken off, back to the engineer who can't find fault with it at all!! Hubby put it back onto the boat and still nothing!!! 

Would appreciate any ideas as to what might be wrong! Thanks in advance folks! 

21 minutes ago, debbieg said:

Hi all.... Could anyone shed any light on why the travel power won't work on the boat please? It was refurbished in January by a very reputable electrical engineer, hubby put it back on the boat and it has been used about ten times since then. Two weeks ago it stopped working.... No red or green lights even showing up. It has been taken off, back to the engineer who can't find fault with it at all!! Hubby put it back onto the boat and still nothing!!! 

Would appreciate any ideas as to what might be wrong! Thanks in advance folks! 

Exactly what was overhauled. They are a two part unit, three if you include the linking cables. Its perfectly possible for the alternator to have no fault but the magic box to be faulty, so unless they had the alternator, box and cable I doubt it could be properly tested.

I would also be wary as to whom I took such a thing to. Any old electrical engineer is unlikely to know much about them. I understand Cox Autoelectrical is the go-to place for these units; 

a

14 minutes ago, debbieg said:

Hi Tony... Mr Cox is the reputable engineer that overhauled the alternator, box and cable. I just don't understand what else could be wrong?? It's very frustrating!!! 

Thanks for your quick reply! 

That suggest tome that it might be a connection fault where the box connects to the boat's system. It probably needs a positive supply (from the ignition switch?) to get the alternator generating, but that is an informed guess. As you say there are no lights illuminated, I would be looking for a fuse, loose terminals etc.