Inverter keeps tripping shore-based power supply.

Featured Posts

We have a Heart Interface Freedom 25 Inverter. For some reason it keeps tripping our power supply when we plug the boats in to shore power. Has anyone ever used one of these before? Wondering if it's even worth trying to fix it, or just replace it. 

Thanks

e7162526-a30f-48f4-8aa5-5067e75db2b4.jpg

aa189bfd-4d40-4122-be1a-af10f1566df3.jpg

1b7b8b65-5ef9-4ba8-99ba-3b3e8c143049.JPG

Is it the shore supply bollard that is tripping? If so, is it the RCD, or the MCD? The RCD can be recognised as the one that has a test button on it.

Is this a newly installed gadget, or has it been on the boat and working fine for years? Is connecting to shore power a new thing for this gadget, or something you've been doing for ages?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

On 18/06/2021 at 15:37, canalboat77 said:

We have a Heart Interface Freedom 25 Inverter. For some reason it keeps tripping our power supply when we plug the boats in to shore power. Has anyone ever used one of these before? Wondering if it's even worth trying to fix it, or just replace it. 

Thanks

e7162526-a30f-48f4-8aa5-5067e75db2b4.jpg

aa189bfd-4d40-4122-be1a-af10f1566df3.jpg

1b7b8b65-5ef9-4ba8-99ba-3b3e8c143049.JPG

Glad you posted the picture - I was wondering why you needed an inverter when on shore power.

Sorry I can't help with your query about your charger tripping out on shore power...

Not all shore bollards are rated at 16 amps (some as low as 6 amp trips, 12 amp trips not uncommon)

The charger shows it draws up to 15 amps - if the batteries are low and it is drawing 15 amp on a 12 amp bollard that could account for it.

Have a look at the ratings of the trips in your bollard.

• 4 weeks later...

Really sorry for the late reply. This inverter isn't plugged into a shore bollard, it is plugged into a consumer unit inside our building. Both of our boats (two total) with similar sized inverters (other is a Victrum inverter 3000W) share the attached RCD. See pic (Outside sockets label). 

This problem has been happening for a while (before covid), it's only just become my problem to sort it out. 

Any ideas for first steps? Would it be worth switching the RCD? What size should I go for? Trying to figure out the cheapest things to be replaced first. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 8.54.14 AM.png

So as I understand it 3 boats are somehow connected to a consumer unit in a building, but not via a conventional bollard? And when the boat with the heart interface is plugged in, the RCD trips?

So I would first focus on the “somehow connected” bit. Just exactly how is the problem boat connected? Some kind of waterproof 13A socket perhaps?

I think the most likely and easiest to check issue is damp ingress into the various outside components that get the power into the boat. You could visually inspect the insides of any plugs, sockets etc for contamination, inspect cables for any chafing or cracking. Maybe you can try running a temporary new lead direct from the building to the problem boat?

Of course it could be that the inverter charger is faulty, if so replacement is probably the best idea considering its age. But you want to eliminate everything else first!

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

That is an MCB not an RCD.

No it isn’t. Read the writing on it (0.03A) and note the test button.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So as I understand it 3 boats are somehow connected to a consumer unit in a building, but not via a conventional bollard? And when the boat with the heart interface is plugged in, the RCD trips?

So I would first focus on the “somehow connected” bit. Just exactly how is the problem boat connected? Some kind of waterproof 13A socket perhaps?

I think the most likely and easiest to check issue is damp ingress into the various outside components that get the power into the boat. You could visually inspect the insides of any plugs, sockets etc for contamination, inspect cables for any chafing or cracking. Maybe you can try running a temporary new lead direct from the building to the problem boat?

Of course it could be that the inverter charger is faulty, if so replacement is probably the best idea considering its age. But you want to eliminate everything else first!

No it isn’t. Read the writing on it (0.03A) and note the test button.

I'm corrected, it is an rcd, a nasty one too.  We had a sparks who fitted Hager, they were constantly failing.

Does this charger/inverter have a relay inside that connects the neutral of the inverter output to ground when in inverter mode? If so I bet it is stuck closed and as this is downstream of the rcd will cause it to trip.

Water in blue plugs is the obvious one,  does it still trip with the charger disconnected?

The breaker is an RCBO so 32a MCB with 30ma rcd. So could be an overload or an earth leak tripping it.

As Nick suggests it is unlikely to be feeding 16a outlets and most likely 13a sockets on a ring main these could  well be outside.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I'm corrected, it is an rcd, a nasty one too.  We had a sparks who fitted Hager, they were constantly failing.

Does this charger/inverter have a relay inside that connects the neutral of the inverter output to ground when in inverter mode? If so I bet it is stuck closed and as this is downstream of the rcd will cause it to trip.

Water in blue plugs is the obvious one,  does it still trip with the charger disconnected?

If you go back a few post I have already mention this.

As a quick update - we decided to plug this boat - and only this boat with a different cable (new 13A waterproof cable) and it still tripped the above RCD, no other boat plugged in. Then we plugged this boat into a different RCD and it's still tripping. 

I guess that only leaves the inverter? 

The pain in the butt thing is it can sometimes go for months, and not have any issues.

:(

3 minutes ago, canalboat77 said:

As a quick update - we decided to plug this boat - and only this boat with a different cable (new 13A waterproof cable) and it still tripped the above RCD, no other boat plugged in. Then we plugged this boat into a different RCD and it's still tripping. 

I guess that only leaves the inverter? 

The pain in the butt thing is it can sometimes go for months, and not have any issues.

:(

Why the inverter, have you checked the shore supply inlet plug for water ingress , dropped a feed wire out of the inverter?