Rivers Trent Humber and Hull

Featured Posts

Very interesting. Thank you for posting.

You obviously planned it very well relative to the tide which can make such journey look  easy - and much safer than it might be if travelling at the wrong time . Neap tide presumably ?

7 hours ago, MartynG said:

Very interesting. Thank you for posting.

You obviously planned it very well relative to the tide which can make such journey look  easy - and much safer than it might be if travelling at the wrong time . Neap tide presumably ?

Thank you.  Yes, a neap tide. It wasn't too bad punching the tide down to Apex point - a fun game was guessing how long it would take to get to the next beacon or wharf.  The important thing is to get to Hull well before LW so that you can get into the bottom of the River Hull, or into the marina - both of which are inaccessible around Low Water. The alternative is to anchor or tie up to something in the Humber for a few hours, which did not appeal. 

In an ideal world we would have waited another 2 or 3 hours in Hull before setting off up river, but that would have meant quite a bit of navigating in the dark and as you can see the river is surprisingly narrow with some large obstacles! As it was we had to navigate Beverley Beck in the dark, but that was OK.

I've added this page which explains the tides.   http://barnarddalecottage.com/wpbbba/navigation/

Here's the passage plan for Keadby to Hull. It took 30 mins longer than I expected from Keadby to Apex (but we did set out an hour earlier than planned, so that is not surprising as more of the flood tide); but 30 mins quicker than expected from Apex to Hull (I was cautious re the tidal estimates). 

plan.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I guess you were too late to go into Hull marina allowing the journey to be completed the following day

Your passage plan/time keeping chart is a amazing - I don't have the dedication!

In case anyone is wondering I think your total minutes is from the Apex and not from Keadby

13 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I guess you were too late to go into Hull marina allowing the journey to be completed the following day

Your passage plan/time keeping chart is a amazing - I don't have the dedication!

In case anyone is wondering I think your total minutes is from the Apex and not from Keadby

I think we would have had enough water to get into the marina. We had some debate about that. But what happens in a convoy stays in the convoy......  

Yes, you are right, minutes from Apex. There is something very soothing/reassuring about ticking off the buoys. Some of the leg lengths are a bit wonky as the transfer from the ABP chart to my chart plotter required a bit of guesswork (I could not find the precise lat and long on their website).

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

The latest published buoyage positions can be found at the following.....

https://www.humber.com/admin/content/files/Estuary Information/Buoyage and Beaconage/buoyage.xls

Thank you - I thought it must be somewhere. If I do the trip again I will try and work out how to upload the data from Excel to the waypoint database ....

48 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Looks like you had some lovely weather and river conditions.

Yes, the only disappointment was that we didn't see any large craft moving. We heard them on the VHF, but further downstream. Have you done the Hull? 

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes, the only disappointment was that we didn't see any large craft moving. We heard them on the VHF, but further downstream. Have you done the Hull? 

No we never went up the Hull. 

Always chickened out after we had seen it at low water :lol:

24 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No we never went up the Hull. 

Always chickened out after we had seen it at low water :lol:

Thanks, interesting. There were quite a lot of boats moored in Beverley, on the Beck and on the Hull. It does look as though getting in and out is an interesting balance between having enough water to float and enough space to get under all the bridges! 

Well done and very good photos it’s nice to see the river hull from water level  and under the bridges 

It’s about time the river was dredged  to make more room 

years ago Rix barges was very common  in the hull 

I’m pleased you had a good trip 

Graham

• Greenie 1

Some amazing pictures. I'd really like to make this trip one day.  The Humber is a bit beyond my capabilities right now. Did you need to radio through to VTS  while underway so they were aware of your position or contact them with your plan before the journey so as not to potentially  impede commercial traffic ? I've only really used vhf with Ocean lock at Goole so interested to know about the radio use on possibly a busy river /estuary. Also will you be posting details of the return trip ? Thanks very much for taking the time posting this and all the links 

2 hours ago, Kieron G said:

Some amazing pictures. I'd really like to make this trip one day.  The Humber is a bit beyond my capabilities right now. Did you need to radio through to VTS  while underway so they were aware of your position or contact them with your plan before the journey so as not to potentially  impede commercial traffic ? I've only really used vhf with Ocean lock at Goole so interested to know about the radio use on possibly a busy river /estuary. Also will you be posting details of the return trip ? Thanks very much for taking the time posting this and all the links 

You are supposed to call Humber VTS at Trent Falls (on Ch15) and on passing under the Bridge (on 12). The former didn't work, I suspect as I only had my handheld set with me and Ch15 is restricted to low power. When we hailed them at Humber Bridge they were only interested in how many people we had on board. I told the truth (3 across two boats) and was half expecting to be told off for breaking the byelaws -- but we weren't. 

In my experience (in London) VTS are only really interested in big ships, who have to give notice of their planned movements. I was hoping to be overtaken by something coming down the Ouse or Trent at high water but in the end we saw no moving boats at all. If we had come across a moving ship I would have talked to them, and then probably moved just outside the channel (we cut a few corners in any event, given the state of the tide).

I probably won't be on board for the return trip, sadly.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1