Recommendations for someone to fit mushroom vents?

Porcupine

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

Why do ou want new ones and why are you looking to get someone else to do the work... Take them off and re-seal with a decent sealant eg Sikaflex 291.

I agree with your sentiment, but it can be difficult, screws won't come out and need drilling out, maybe drilling and re-tapping to the next size up etc etc. Some of us just love doing this stuff but others don't have the skills/facilities/experience.

We are part of a lovely eco system and boaters without the desire to do engineering work provide a good income for those who can do it ?

I much prefer plumbers mait over sikaflex but I think I am in a minority.

................Dave

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, dmr said:

I agree with your sentiment, but it can be difficult, screws won't come out and need drilling out, maybe drilling and re-tapping to the next size up etc etc. Some of us just love doing this stuff but others don't have the skills/facilities/experience.

We are part of a lovely eco system and boaters without the desire to do engineering work provide a good income for those who can do it ?

................Dave

I prefer welded mushrooms vents. No leaks ever.?

8 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

I prefer welded mushrooms vents. No leaks ever.?

My welding skills are variable, but I think welding brass to steel would be too difficult for me ?

..........Dave

9 hours ago, dmr said:

................Dave

And having paid for so-called professional work you find they bodged it so have to do the job properly yourself. Bitter personal experience at a marina. Flying saucer vents taken off for the boat to be painted and put back on with undersize self tappers. When the second cover came free I had to do the job properly. Dill the holes, tap a thread and refit with brass/stainless machine screws & a dab of sealer. At the same time I had a safety rail fitted around the cruiser stern and found it had been fitted lopsided and not as per the plans and a new bottom and six inch sides for the gas tank had been improperly fitted so it no longer took 19Kg gas bottles and was left with the drain leaking into the engine bay.

Both on the ba and at home I have found not a few "professionals" are no more than shortcut bodgers.

Like Tony I'd much rather do these jobs myself so that they get done properly.

There are so many jobs to do on a boat I can't believe that anyone would pay people to do every simple job that needed doing. 

If the screws snap off when removing the vents that makes things a bit more difficult, but it doesn't sound like the OP has even tried to unscrew them.

I'd always assumed that boat ownership included an element of DIY unless of course you're filthy rich.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Like Tony I'd much rather do these jobs myself so that they get done properly.

There are so many jobs to do on a boat I can't believe that anyone would pay people to do every simple job that needed doing. 

If the screws snap off when removing the vents that makes things a bit more difficult, but it doesn't sound like the OP has even tried to unscrew them.

I'd always assumed that boat ownership included an element of DIY unless of course you're filthy rich.

A recently bought boat near here was brought back after 2 weeks with a complaint that the toilet wasnt flushing and kept backing up and the previous owner should pay to get it fixed.

Explanation of the pumpout system and self affluence, helped, and taught a new skill.

• Haha 1

My mushroom vents leak a bit and its on the list of jobs. Unfortunately the fool who fitted them (that might be me) used nuts and bolts so I can't get them off without drilling/chiseling/hacksawing hitting them off or removing bits of roof lining. The OP might find another fool fitted his thus making an easy job a right pain.

Just been wielding the paint brush on the roof and noted, in passing, that my mushrooms are pop-rivetted. I was a bit surprised but, thinking about it, you will be pulling the mushroom firmly into place as you set the rivet, no rusting of fixing (aren't they alumin?), easy to drill out (soft), no screw slot or star to chew and they still look 'as new' on a 2003 boat. 

The only downside I can see would be if you wanted/needed to fit an extra washer on the inside to reinforce the fix.

Edited by Opener
Added 'downside' afterthought.

1 minute ago, Opener said:

Just been wielding the paint brush on the roof and noted, in passing, that my mushrooms are pop-rivetted. I was a bit surprised but, thinking about it, you will be pulling the mushroom firmly into place as you set the rivet, no rusting of fixing (aren't they alumin?), easy to drill out (soft), no screw slot or star to chew and they still look 'as new' on a 2003 boat. 

You can get them in all sorts of metal including zinc plated steel,  the chances are they are aluminium but then hey will acts as an anode and potentially get eaten away. However, if the mushrooms are brass they might de-zinc instead.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

You can get them in all sorts of metal including zinc plated steel,  the chances are they are aluminium but then hey will acts as an anode and potentially get eaten away. However, if the mushrooms are brass they might de-zinc instead.

No evidence (visible ?) of corrosion yet although the munchrooms themselves show signs of chronic neglect. Beyond Brasso!!

1 minute ago, Opener said:

No evidence (visible ?) of corrosion yet although the munchrooms themselves show signs of chronic neglect. Beyond Brasso!!

I don't really expect there would be, but chrome trims falling of 1960s cars shows aluminium pop rivets can suffer. If you ever need to drill them out it would be best to make sure they are not stainless steel because you really need a cobalt drill for that.

On 24/06/2021 at 11:21, Tony Brooks said:

I don't really expect there would be, but chrome trims falling of 1960s cars shows aluminium pop rivets can suffer. If you ever need to drill them out it would be best to make sure they are not stainless steel because you really need a cobalt drill for that.

Hmm! Noted. They've lasted this long so ....