Early BW maintenance colours

Featured Posts

At the time of nationalisation, it was not British Waterways, not even British Transport Waterways, but the Docks & Inland Waterways Executive.  One question might be is what were the chosen colours of the DIWE and how long previous liveries were retained.

According to Edward Paget-Tomlinson, in his book Colours Of The Cut, the colours chosen by the Docks & Inland Waterways Executive were yellow and blue with yellow being the predominant colour. Royalty class Henry may have been painted in those colours and after 1948 was on maintenance work only. The early colour scheme wasn't very popular and was soon changed to a more traditional layout, but with the blue and yellow reversed.

• 3 months later...
On 17/06/2021 at 09:46, Muddy Waters said:

At the time of nationalisation would not Prince be in the livery of the GUC maintenance fleet?

Yes he would, to be honest I have no idea what livery the GUC maintenance boats were painted in.. I'll have to have a dig.. 

But given that Prince was taken into the BW fleet at nationalisation but was surely in maintenance only I do still wonder if the early maintenance paint scheme was different to the later 'one pot' type. No problem if it isn't, it's easier for me to paint like that but if like to have fun exploring some paint jobs on Prince that reflect his history correctly. 

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

I believe Alan and Cat Fincher did an awful lot of research to end up with Sickle in this early BW guise

20210929_142847.jpg

That is lovely, and interesting too, given that the first BW carrying boats had a rather fancy paint job I did wonder if the maintenance boats did too. 

I'm aware that sickel had a special paint scheme for a show in London at some point but I thought it was more jazzy than this. 

I'll look into it, thanks! 

On 17/06/2021 at 10:25, Derek R. said:

Austere, yes. Painted from one pot of paint, as most are today.

544142562_BrowningsPool(Medium).jpg.1a7c9ca60df38b66ec1a278dc4159da2.jpg

This from the Tim Lewis collection. Post 1970 I would think, but close to accurate:

2141651409_TimLewisNorth_Side_Reflection_11_89(Medium).jpg.dd00822e1215c2c2dca2abdebb6b1146.jpg

Am I right in thinking that the piling rig boat has a yellow band below a red oxide roof in that photo? It's hard to make out in black and white. 

Even if Sickle's paint was a special job the fact that a piling boat might have a yellow band shows it wasn't limited to them only. 

That shot of TYCHO by Mr. Lewis taken in Brownings Pool, is to my eyes pretty perfect. (Note: BRITAIN'S WATERWAYS, as BW objected to their official lettering being used on privately owned boats at that time).

As you say - hard to determine, though clearly SICKLE alleged to be the boat in that shot, does have a light coloured surround. But then all the craft, lighter included, was treated to some fresh paint for the benefit of 'show' and several do not give the impression that any light coloured banding was the norm.

In the end, a boat privately owned will be displaid in whatever appearance the owner prefers. Maintainence yards on the other hand, would most likely slapped on whatever was supplied, and with no thought to finery. But it's a dreary old world without some colour.

781253109_003MarkP.jpg.ab372c182876156ccdfea53f0b73c285.jpg 1866111012_AEBAtherstone21May1961orBullsBridgeJanuary1964(SEXTANT)AlanElyardBrown.jpg.21a013eec4c9fb38705f6ae7c96bd89d.jpg

My own interpretation during my custody of TYCHO:

1705851619_156cropped(Medium).jpg.535e72054cd00e8e7117d702a11dda6b.jpg

Edited by Derek R.
Added foretext

• 7 months later...
On 29/09/2021 at 19:12, Derek R. said:

But why the yellow banding? I get that it's a personal thing for the owner, but it's a maintenance boat. It's lipstick on a pig.

The pig is a fine animal and SICKLE is a fine looking boat. Doesn't need lipstick.

This picture below shows the reason - were were attempting to recreate, so far as is possible, Sickle's appearance in the late 1950s.

In fact we have too little yellow line, rather than too much!  There should also be a vertical stripe at the back of each cabin side.  If we had replicated this it would have been interrupted by the step we have half way up the cabin sides on both sides, and would we felt have looked messy.  Like all such things it is a compromise.

Almost certainly what we have gone for on hatches and slides is just fiction.  We simply couldn't find any picture as a guide, but if someone can provide one then we can modify it accordingly.

Sickle_1957_Fishery_BW197-2-8-32_REDUCED.jpg

Unless for display purposes, most maintenance boats were kept plain and simple. Not even a yellow tunnel band.

You will of course be familiar with this one:

135079354_BrowningsPool(Medium).jpg.3c1859ce00421896535fdc198e5041cf.jpg

Notice the chain around the pile driver is painted.

Nash June 2010 001 (Medium).JPG

Edited by Derek R.