Internet onboard

Antony Perry

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, john6767 said:

It will impact on anything that in interactive not just gaming.

Jitter is another factor impacting on latency.  The speed test report shows it along with the ping.  This is what I get for a speed test at the moment, using my iPhone as the router, at the back of beyond at Sharpness.  Rubbish upload speed though.

09841A71-F9B2-4C2B-99E2-4D95BD50D72E.jpeg.f06e82c97dc7bec73bf8968c8e433400.jpeg

My speeds are the other way round, what speed test are you using to get your litter reading?

image.png.ccb6aaee989155894751caeb7ed1505a.png

Did I read on another thread that the antenna shouldn't be painted a darker colour? I've stuck mine on a pole now but the marina owner doesn't like ariels so I was wondering if I could make it less conspicuous.

Thought I could spray it with a grey plastic primer.

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I had this discussion with a colleague who has a 300mbps fibre connection to his house but his call quality in teams was terrible.  When I looked at the call stats his jitter was very high as was his packet loss.  So the super fast connection was pointless.

That is the thing, people tend to get hooked on bandwidth because that is what the internet companies like to up sell you on.  I suspect few people can explain what they want 100Mbs or even 50Mbs for (unless you have half a dozen users or more on the network).  In reality a stable connection with 20Mbs and low latency will give a better experience than a 100Mbs one with poor latency, as the 100Mbs will just not be being used for one or two users.  Mobile tends to be limited by poor latency, 50ms ping and 20ms jitter is not unusual, where on a basic wired connect you are probably looking at 10ms ping and 3ms jitter.  In either case if you are getting packet loss you are not in a good situation.  I have no personal experience of it yet, but I believe 5G does address latency better than 3G/4G.

40 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Speedtest app gives you jitter Speedtest web doesn't.

I was using the app.  The web version also does not show packet loss either.

Screenshots below from web and app, web doesn't have jitter app does have jitter and loss..

Unsurprisingly the app gives higher figures than the web.

Screenshot_20210627-083708.png

Screenshot_20210627-083328.png

Edited by Loddon

31 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Screenshots below from web and app, web doesn't have jitter app does have jitter and loss..

Unsurprisingly the app gives higher figures than the web.

Screenshot_20210627-083708.png

Screenshot_20210627-083328.png

Were they both to the same server, for me the app and web never seem to pick the same one.  Even the lists of servers to choose from are a bit different, but if I pick the same server for app and web, I get similar’ish results.

CDE720D5-29C5-4D79-9D15-BFD768622556.jpeg.7b6d2574287af7b5e3066cd4c6342acd.jpeg

CC5AB3B6-3182-4760-9278-9D65FBFEE07A.jpeg.4b69a999696abc72d21cf76f06587106.jpeg

but not exactly the same with app coming out a bit faster on download (but 11 or 15 is plenty), but then mobile does fluctuate a lot.  At home I have a 70Mbs down 20Mbs up connection, and no matter what a speed test will give exactly those figures give or take.

Edited to add, more worrying is that there was some packet loss, do like to see that!

Edited by john6767

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are these figures good enough ?

Screenshot (426).png

Depends on what you are doing with it.

Think it might have made streaming the rugby yesterday interesting to say the least?

Just now, Loddon said:

Depends on what you are doing with it.

Think it might have made streaming the rugby yesterday interesting to say the least?

It makes doing anything 'interesting'

We are 5km from the exchange, copper wire and the last house on the cable. You can tell when the kids come home from school as the speed can drop as low as 16k and you can watch the page building. Its as bad as the old dial-up.

That is why we generally use the mobile as a hot-spot, even at home.

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is why we generally use the mobile as a hot-spot, even at home.

Been running 3 at home since we bought the house, came up for renewal this year no landline company could match speed or price. I can't see any reason to change despite having rebuilt the infrastructure in the house to work from copper it's just not going to happen.

I think that once 5g gets established then landline technology will soon become redundant it's already going that way with 4g .

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Been running 3 at home since we bought the house, came up for renewal this year no landline company could match speed or price. I can't see any reason to change despite having rebuilt the infrastructure in the house to work from copper it's just not going to happen.

I think that once 5g gets established then landline technology will soon become redundant it's already going that way with 4g .

3 have just applied for planning consent to build a mast in our village so I'm hopefull we will be able to kick Virgin media to the kerb in the not too distant future and switch to 3 at home.

That is of course assuming the NIMBY's dont get it blocked. 

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Even 5G has limited capacity once a large number of people start using it for contnuously bandwidth-hungry purposes like video-on-demand (TV apps etc), which consume a large part of the total Internet bandwidth now. Wired connectiopns -- fiber or VDSL -- are not affected by the number of people using them because capacity is not shared, except in the nework backbone where everything competes for capacity. 5G can deliver high peak BW so long as not too many people do this at the same time.

If you don't believe me, look at the bandwidths of the network connections to exchanges/hubs in the wired network vs. cellular basestation, even 5G is much smaller.

"Wide bandwidth" means something rather different =if you're working on the backbone, I'm currently designing chips for a 1.2Tb/s optical transciever...

On 28/06/2021 at 23:20, ditchcrawler said:

Just done a test MiFi in pigeon box no aerial 

image.png.780221f3bfba7908fb98e3a6ced784a2.png

That's over 3 times my download speed and 9 times my upload speed at home over fibre to the cabinet! Perhaps I need a pigeon box...?

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Then it's a dead duck ..! 

Does it have lovely plumage ?

I know a little story about a duck :

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgery. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said, "I'm so sorry, Cuddles has passed away."

The distressed owner wailed, "Are you sure?  "Yes, I am sure. The duck is dead," he replied. "How can you be so sure," she protested. "I mean, you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something."

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room, and returned a few moments later with a large black Labrador Retriever.  As the duck's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head. The vet patted the dog, took it out, and returned a few moments later with a beautiful cat.

The cat jumped up on the table and also sniffed delicately at the bird. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room. The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck." Then the vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.

The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "£150", she cried, "£150 just to tell me my duck is dead" The vet shrugged. "I'm sorry. If you'd taken my word for it, the bill would have been £20, but what with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan....

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I'm home now on my land line 

image.png.89d6eb98ae10c61945c392662c496527.png

Depends what you want to do, good ping and jitter and no data loss, as you would expect from a land line.  What sort of connection is it to have such slow speed?

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Depends what you want to do, good ping and jitter and no data loss, as you would expect from a land line.  What sort of connection is it to have such slow speed?

Its rural Suffolk and twice as fast as it was about 3 years ago

11 hours ago, john6767 said:

So presumably is it ADSL on a long piece of copper?  Is there not a minimum speed grarentee?

I think it was 5. Nothing I can do about it. They have strung an optic fibre into the village but that's as far as its got