Potential Stoppage Bridge 17 Yelvertoft GUC Leics Summit

frangar

Featured Posts

If mods want to move this to stoppages then feel free...I just thought it might get noticed here!

A culvert is in the process of failing by Bridge 17 on the Leics summit....just south of Yelvertoft Marina entrance. CRT are aware and have put a temp repair in as the pic below but the guys on the ground are saying it needs a coffer dam and is possibly a bigger job than it looks. So this is a heads up for those travelling this way....canal is open at the moment and I haven't had any stoppage notices. Will of course update if I hear anything.yelv1.jpg.f6527e56338479fe904e93c7684c735e.jpgyelv2.jpg.35331207ab5f2c765448ea190e918e5e.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I’ve heard a rumour although I will stress it’s just a second hand rumour that some properties in Yelvertoft have had basements flooded. I do find this a little hard to believe however. 

Is it close to the marina - can see moored boats in the left but not clear? If so, it is not that close to any properties, is it?

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Is it close to the marina - can see moored boats in the left but not clear? If so, it is not that close to any properties, is it?

Yes. Just to south of marina entrance. The only thing I can think is that the brook overtopped further into Yelvertoft with the extra water. 

17 hours ago, frangar said:

Yes. Just to south of marina entrance. The only thing I can think is that the brook overtopped further into Yelvertoft with the extra water. 

I am still struggling to see who is affected. From Google Aerial I can see a culvert on the SE side between the marina entrance and the slipway. There is no sign of a water course on the NW side although OS does just show a short bit partway across the field.

From there, it is some distance along Crick Bridle Road to the village. As far as I can see, the buildings alongside the bridle way are just farm buildings.

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I am still struggling to see who is affected. From Google Aerial I can see a culvert on the SE side between the marina entrance and the slipway. There is no sign of a water course on the NW side although OS does just show a short bit partway across the field.

From there, it is some distance along Crick Bridle Road to the village. As far as I can see, the buildings alongside the bridle way are just farm buildings.

I’ve spoken to a chap who knows the area well. The land does fall away from the canal to the village and the village itself has flooded in the past with heavy rain…so who knows. If I hear anything first hand I’ll be sure to report! 

I noticed a leak near this location in September 2018. I wonder if it is the same leak. I reported it to CRT at the time. Here is a copy of the email I sent.

As discussed on the phone with you this morning here is a picture of the leak that I came across on the Leiceser Line south of bridge 17. Unfortunately I only took one photo at the time and now I am too far away to go back. But it is on the offside of the canal just where there is a footpath style over a fence. The exact grid reference of the leak is SP 59704 74132.

As I say, it's not a big leak but I think it needs looking at sometime.

Best regards

etc

Leak into culvert near bridge 17..jpg
image.png.e59e5ef37c6ee209ebcc85fb3501fd3e.png

Leak into culvert near bridge 17..jpg

• Greenie 2