Misspelling or what?

Featured Posts

Todays stoppage.

Original message:

Please be advised that Lock 59, Winkwell Locks, will be closed for 48 hours from 7:30am on the 29th of June to carry out the following works:

- Replacement of broken offside ground paddle

- Reinstating disconnected four top gate centre paddles

- Replacement of missing rubbing boards on top gates

Are they really "rubbing" boards or running boards?

Edited by Athy

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

This email was sent to bennsar@gmail.com    unsubscribe from this list

Rubbing, I'd say. They're the boards intended to avoid your bow button from getting entangled with the gate, are they not?

Running boards are what old cars, and new Morgans, have along their sides.

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Todays stoppage.

Original message:

Please be advised that Lock 59, Winkwell Locks, will be closed for 48 hours from 7:30am on the 29th of June to carry out the following works:

This email was sent to bennsar@gmail.com    unsubscribe from this list

I have no idea what a lock gate running board is. They are probably descibing the baffle boards which most GU Top gates have to stop the bow of the boat catching under the beam.

image.png.067135dd4b608b538857f4f214573727.png

Edited to add:- Mike beat me to it.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Rubbing, I'd say. They're the boards intended to avoid your bow button from getting entangled with the gate, are they not?

Running boards are what old cars, and new Morgans, have along their sides.

Right, what are the walk boards on the back of gates?

On 15/06/2021 at 14:13, Tracy D'arth said:

Todays stoppage.

Original message:

unsubscribe from this list

Is that your email address at the bottom of your post, might be worth editing it out

Edited by Athy

Its hard to say, I would call them rubbing boards as they take the rubbing from the bows of the boat but then you could say you let the bow run up the gate, so then they would be running boards. So many things canal wise sounds so much like similar words that do the same thing. The Elm on a butty or the Helm on a sail boat.

They had what you could call rubbing boards on the L&LC, illustrated here on Greenberfield top lock. They  were used to keep the boats from rubbing directly onto the gate when entering or leaving a lock, and helped to preserve both mitre and quoin from damage.

Greenberfield top lock.jpg

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Is that your email address at the bottom of your post, might be worth editing it out

Forwarded to me from a guy in Glasgow.  Good thought though,   could  a MOD edit it off for me please.?????

There was a nasty time when these boards were fixed with posidrive screws. When they did batchworth lock in late 00s several of the boards broke the screws once they got wet. 

Hopefully better secured these days. 

Another item not often mentioned is the breast irons. The vertical pieces of D section strake spiked or screwed to the gates below the mitre to protect the wood from damage when boats breast the gates open. 

They used to use lovely big 3 inch wide D section iron strakes but these days it's more like a 2 inch thing. 

One of my magnet-found proper breast irons is outside the house at Stockers lock. At least it was last time I was up that way a couple of years ago. 

The old adage "they don't make them like they used to" certainly applies to breast irons. 

On 15/06/2021 at 16:05, Pluto said:

They had what you could call rubbing boards on the L&LC, illustrated here on Greenberfield top lock. They  were used to keep the boats from rubbing directly onto the gate when entering or leaving a lock, and helped to preserve both mitre and quoin from damage.

Greenberfield top lock.jpg

I would like to see those reintroduced.

Keith