Press stud removal

Featured Posts

On 20/06/2021 at 20:07, Richard10002 said:

Why do you need to remove the press studs? It might be tidier, but who will know, and what a faff to remove thrm and fill the holes.

I have studs and bungees. Much prefer the bungees  - mine are at least 10 years old and are fine. They might be 20 years old  :)

Hadn't considered not removing them but that's a good idea. I might just treat the rust spots and paint over them. Thanks Richard

• Greenie 1

On 20/06/2021 at 19:47, Ex Brummie said:

I don't know about canopy shrinkage, but daft as it sounds, when the steel is 'hot to touch' the press studs on my dodger and around the hand rail part of the canopy can be very difficult to line up. How much does steel expand over 11feet?

It definately happens, especially with the "mohair" type cratch covers.

The side pieces of mine, which used to reach about 3 inches below the gunnels, now barely reach the gunnels, possibly because thety are not fixed with press studs at the bottom.

We have "lift the dot" on the front of the cratch boards, bungees on the cabin sides and a press stud either side to secure the non lifting side of the zip flap to the gunwale. Wilson's made that cover, but my new cover was made in Plymouth using the old cover as a pattern, so the sailmaker used all 3 types successfully without even seeing the boat. 

We may be missing something here (perhaps your press studs are in an inappropriate place?), but otherwise a sailmaker worth his salt ought should be able to offer press studs.