Press stud removal

Featured Posts

I have just arranged for a new cratch cover to be made and fitted and need to remove the old press studs. The new cover will be fitted using hooks and bugee cords apparently.

The old studs are in good nick but the paint around them is in various stages of decay and rust.

Do I drill, grind or, as I have read elsewher, unscrew please?

What is the best way to fill the holes after they are out?

Thanks, as always, for your advice

2 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

They would normally (never say always or never) be screwed on with self-tappers, just unscrew the screw, press stud falls off, sand down, fill hole (plastic metal or pretty much any car-filler) and touch up the paint.

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They would normally (never say always or never) be screwed on with self-tappers, just unscrew the screw, press stud falls off, sand down, fill hole (plastic metal or pretty much any car-filler) and touch up the paint.

Or pop rivets, drill out and fill.

1 hour ago, Rick Savery said:

I have just arranged for a new cratch cover to be made and fitted and need to remove the old press studs. The new cover will be fitted using hooks and bugee cords apparently.

The old studs are in good nick but the paint around them is in various stages of decay and rust.

What is the best way to fill the holes after they are out?

Thanks, as always, for your advice

Obviously not a quality cover fitter as most are appalled when I insist that they use bungee because the hooks are already on the cabin side and I di not want more holes adding to the cabin side

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Obviously not a quality cover fitter as most are appalled when I insist that they use bungee because the hooks are already on the cabin side and I di not want more holes adding to the cabin side

Thanks AdE and Tracy for the advice. Sounds nice and simple

I can't get rid of the quote once I pressed the button so my quote above pbviously does not apply to you both.

Tonka, that's interesting. The fitter in question has a good reputation as far as I can ascertain and was recommended by more than one person, so not sure how to react to 'obviously'. You may be right but I have no way of knowing as I have not dealt with any fitter before. I haven't paid any deposit yet so wondering if the fact that they use bungees rather than press studs means I should go elsewhere?

4 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

Thanks AdE and Tracy for the advice. Sounds nice and simple

I can't get rid of the quote once I pressed the button so my quote above pbviously does not apply to you both.

Tonka, that's interesting. The fitter in question has a good reputation as far as I can ascertain and was recommended by more than one person, so not sure how to react to 'obviously'. You may be right but I have no way of knowing as I have not dealt with any fitter before. I haven't paid any deposit yet so wondering if the fact that they use bungees rather than press studs means I should go elsewhere?

Well Coverit and Kinver canopies were not happy that I wouldn't let them put press studs on the cabin side 

The fitter I went to are A J Canopies, and, as I say, they seem to have a good rep. They fit using bungees rather than studs. I suppose there must be more than one way to fit one ? 

I have an AJ well deck cover (non-draining well deck) that uses both - bungee on the cabin, and press studs below and forward of the cabin. I must admit, it's frequently a nightmare to fit as the fabric seems to 'shrink' slightly with infrequent use, which makes fastening some of the press studs nigh on impossible. Can't really see what the issue with bungee is, other than a mild trouser-catching risk?

9 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

I have an AJ well deck cover (non-draining well deck) that uses both - bungee on the cabin, and press studs below and forward of the cabin. I must admit, it's frequently a nightmare to fit as the fabric seems to 'shrink' slightly with infrequent use, which makes fastening some of the press studs nigh on impossible. Can't really see what the issue with bungee is, other than a mild trouser-catching risk?

Turnbutton fasteners are pretty good too,Flo had these used in conjunction with bungees, turnbuttons fastened first at the stern,then bungees at the cabin top worked well???

• Greenie 1

On 15/06/2021 at 18:51, tehmarks said:

Thanks for that tehmarks. I did wonder whether press studs might be difficult to fit if material shrinks with varying conditions - I think I am happy with bungee concept having thought about it more

On 15/06/2021 at 16:57, Ian F B said:

Bungees are easier to use,especially in cold conditions,and if you are in a hurry when it starts hissing it down!!??

Encouraging thought, thanks Ian F B 

10 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

Thanks for that tehmarks. I did wonder whether press studs might be difficult to fit if material shrinks with varying conditions - I think I am happy with bungee concept having thought about it more

Bungees do allow slapping and flapping in strong winds, and, with use will get worse as the elastic 'ages'.

Press studs don't.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Bungees do allow slapping and flapping in strong winds, and, with use will get worse as the elastic 'ages'.

Press studs don't.

Bugger! hadn't thought about that - good point. Thanks AdE

10 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

"Lift the Dot" or "Tenax" fittings are even better, and much easier to use.

Thanks Graham, I suppose it largely depends on what the fitter is able, or wants, to fit. I think I shall have to have that discussion

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Press studs don't.

Bungees also stretch with age (don't we all) meaning they get increasingly less effective or, as my wife would say, useful - never quite sure whether she's referring to the bungees or me☹️

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

Thanks Graham, I suppose it largely depends on what the fitter is able, or wants, to fit. I think I shall have to have that discussion

Supply your own, If he can fit press studs he can fit both the other type.
I bought all mine from here:
https://www.jclarkemarine.com/
and was very pleased with their service and products.

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Mine has press studs on the forward edge and bungees on the after edge. I'd be wary of press studs all round: what happens if (when?) the canopy shrinks?

We had press studs on all our NB cratch covers.

We have 'lift-the-dot' fasteners on the cruiser stern  / 2nd helm cover

We have press-studs on our cruiser window covers (the covers have been in use since the boat was built in 2003) and have had no shrinkage.

I replaced the press studs when I repainted the boat with stainless steel ones from ebay - they rusted within a few weeks. Replaced then with Stainless Steel from (lumpy water) chandlery, they rusted within a few weeks.

Ended up buying very expensive ones guaranteed to be type 316 SS. No problem since.

Screwed them into the original holes and the stud-tops in the window covers fitted perfectly.

The cover over the front window is about 12' x 3', is tight but it's not difficult to pop the press studs on.

CAM00021.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Col_T said:

Bungees also stretch with age (don't we all) meaning they get increasingly less effective or, as my wife would say, useful - never quite sure whether she's referring to the bungees or me☹️

Thanks Col_T, I presume bungess are easily replaced?

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

Supply your own, If he can fit press studs he can fit both the other type.
I bought all mine from here:
https://www.jclarkemarine.com/
and was very pleased with their service and products.

Nice one Graham. A whole world of possibilities! Definitely going to see what my options are with the fitter

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Mine has press studs on the forward edge and bungees on the after edge. I'd be wary of press studs all round: what happens if (when?) the canopy shrinks?

Thanks Macpoint005. I think a combination of fixings is seeming a sensible idea

• Greenie 1

The bungees we have are a loop of elastic, joined by a plastic ball. Thread the loop of elastic through the eyelet in the canopy - job done. The plastic ball prevents the elastic pulling right through.

Bungees available from chandlers, marina shops camping stores and who knows where else - not hugely expensive either.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Col_T said:

The bungees we have are a loop of elastic, joined by a plastic ball. Thread the loop of elastic through the eyelet in the canopy - job done. The plastic ball prevents the elastic pulling right through.

Bungees available from chandlers, marina shops camping stores and who knows where else - not hugely expensive either.

Why bother with the plastic. Our bungee just has a stopper knot

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I don't know about canopy shrinkage, but daft as it sounds, when the steel is 'hot to touch' the press studs on my dodger and around the hand rail part of the canopy can be very difficult to line up. How much does steel expand over 11feet?

On 15/06/2021 at 15:56, Rick Savery said:

The fitter I went to are A J Canopies, and, as I say, they seem to have a good rep. They fit using bungees rather than studs. I suppose there must be more than one way to fit one ? 

Why do you need to remove the press studs? It might be tidier, but who will know, and what a faff to remove thrm and fill the holes.

I have studs and bungees. Much prefer the bungees  - mine are at least 10 years old and are fine. They might be 20 years old  :)