Llangollen basin

BD0077

Featured Posts

Hi. Do you have to pre book and how much to stay at Llangollen Basin. Chirk Marina. Blackwater Medow Marina or Whixall Marina ???? Thanks for any info on these 4 overnight stays would be much appreciated. 

Have a look at the Shropshire Union Canal Society website under "the canals" and then Visitor Moorings.

The Society have installed mooring rings all along the Llangollen Canal and these may be suitable for what you want.

The canalplan website will give you distances if you need them.

22 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Llangollen basin are first come first served and cost £6 a night. I imagine the marinas are bookable but would cost significantly more. 

Any particular reason you need to stay in a Marina overnight? 

Hi. Not really. I’m taking my in-laws on there first canal holiday and I thought the marina’s would be a nice touch and use there food and beverage facilities if there open. 

Also do you think Llangollen to ellesmere is doable in one day ????

16 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Have a look at the Shropshire Union Canal Society website under "the canals" and then Visitor Moorings.

The Society have installed mooring rings all along the Llangollen Canal and these may be suitable for what you want.

The canalplan website will give you distances if you need them.

Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, BD0077 said:

Hi. Not really. I’m taking my in-laws on there first canal holiday and I thought the marina’s would be a nice touch and use there food and beverage facilities if there open. 

Also do you think Llangollen to ellesmere is doable in one day ????

Thanks. 

Ah I see. There probably isn't any advantage to staying in a marina, you'd be better off mooring near a pub and having dinner there. 

In August last year, we did Llangollen to Ellesmere in 8 hours. And that was with a bit of waiting at the Tunnels and locks. So it's easily doable in a day. Although I'd recommend an early start just in case.....we left Llangollen at 7.45am. 

3 minutes ago, BD0077 said:

Canalplan is brilliant. Thanks. It’s showing 7 hours but yeah with traffic and stops will be a bit longer. Yes will set off early defo. Cheers. 

Yes canalplan is good and generally gives a reliable indication of timings. However with the Llangollen canal being the busiest canal in the country and that particular section of canal having two Aquaducts and two tunnels (both narrow and therefore one way) as well as two locks, there are inevitable delays. We got through the Tunnels and Aquaducts with no delay (very lucky) but there were 5 boats in the queue at the first New Marton lock so we spent an hour or so queueing there.      

14 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Yes canalplan is good and generally gives a reliable indication of timings. However with the Llangollen canal being the busiest canal in the country and that particular section of canal having two Aquaducts and two tunnels (both narrow and therefore one way) as well as two locks, there are inevitable delays. We got through the Tunnels and Aquaducts with no delay (very lucky) but there were 5 boats in the queue at the first New Marton lock so we spent an hour or so queueing there.      

Yes thanks. We’re starting at Trevor then going to Llangollen for the night then going to head for Whixall and back to Trevor in 4 nights. 3 half cruising days ??????  Weather permitting. ??‍♂️??

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, BD0077 said:

Firstly, check if they are open in the evenings. If they are you can almost certainly moor on the towpath outside and walk in anyway.