Cafe boat sinks in Bristol Floating Harbour

yes

Featured Posts

Greenshank seems to have had what is being called “a catastrophic failure” at around 3am this morning and pulled Redshank down with her. Here she is in happier times.

Luke Dunstan from the Bristol Packet says that both boats now need to be retrieved as quickly as possible, probably within the next couple weeks f days. The only good news is they’re not burnt to the ground,” he told me. “We know where they are.”

5 hours ago, yes said:

Sad to hear of two historic* boats sinking in Bristol Harbour last night.

Twitter story here

*Not quite sure of the definition of historic - certainly much older than my Springer!

Redshank and Greenshank are a pair of Ex GUCC boats built in the 1930's (forerly Reading and Bawtry), which worked together for many years for Willow Wren from 1954 until 1970.  Is that "Historic" enough?

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Redshank and Greenshank are a pair of Ex GUCC boats built in the 1930's (forerly Reading and Bawtry), which worked together for many years for Willow Wren from 1954 until 1970. Is that "Historic" enough ?

A bit more research on my part shows the Historic Narrowboat Club definite it as working boats from before 1965, so that adds up!

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

They were fine on Saturday, Redshank was up and down all day.

20210615_154213.jpg

The raised gangway with the 'cafe bar' signs here and visible on the photos of the sunken boats is actually mounted on Greenshank and is visible under water, you can also see the barge/platform underwater too - that's quite a significant chain reaction.   I wonder where Bagheera/Flower of Bristol were in the middle of the night?

ETA - the report has been corrected to say that Redshank remains above the water.

Edited by yes

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Redshank and Greenshank are a pair of Ex GUCC boats built in the 1930's (forerly Reading and Bawtry), which worked together for many years for Willow Wren from 1954 until 1970.  Is that "Historic" enough?

Pretty much when I was built too - I guess that might make me historic (and older than any Springer if that's now the yardstick  ?).  Redshank and Greenshank were Lesley Morton's own private boats as I recall. We had some good evenings with Nick and Corinna when we met 'en passant' in the early 70s before they took themselves off to Bristol. Corinna had the butty bedhole adorned with north African hangings rather than the traditional lace and pierced plates.

Tam

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I think its Bhageera that's gone down with Greenshank, that was being used as a cafe overflow at the weekend.

20210615_191255.jpg

Surely it's more likely to be the adjacent open boat with the canopy and with lots of tables.

Edited to add:

The Bristol247 link shows a photo of the open boat saying it too has sunk.

Edited by David Mack

They are probably well ballasted for stability too, especially if they have to have DTI certification for public use of that sort. Greenshank could easily break its back unless lifted extremely gently.

Tam

• 3 months later...