Save our pub! (even though it's a bit crap)

noddyboater

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

I thought that back-to-back houses were no longer allowed. I remember seeing some in Sheffield when I was a boy, but even then (1960-ish) my Dad told me that they were being demolished because they were unsafe, or insanitary, or both.

I don't know what the position is now, but in the late 80s my brother-in-law's sister and her husband bought a starter home in Wandsworth that was exactly that. A terrace of 2-storey houses, essentially one room deep, with the front door leading straight into a living room, window at the front, dark windowless kitchen area at the back. Just in from the front door a flight of stairs led up to the one bedroom which had an en-suite shower room in the back corner. And round the back of the house there was a parallel street serving identical houses backing onto theirs.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A terrace of 2-storey houses, essentially one room deep, with the front door leading straight into a living room, window at the front, dark windowless kitchen area at the back. Just in from the front door a flight of stairs led up to the one bedroom which had an en-suite shower room in the back corner. And round the back of the house there was a parallel street serving identical houses backing onto theirs.

Where did he keep his Pigeons ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

43 minutes ago, Athy said:

I thought that back-to-back houses were no longer allowed. I remember seeing some in Sheffield when I was a boy, but even then (1960-ish) my Dad told me that they were being demolished because they were unsafe, or insanitary, or both.

Come and moor up in Huddersfield.

There are still dozens,perhaps hundreds of old back to backs.

They aint cheap either,they change hands for close on 100K!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Predatory Developers, get around the stigma of the traditional back to back by calling them luxury apartments. Properties back on properties but they are not Back to Back now.

Regarding the Gate,

I recall that one of the cottages on the canal towpath had access to the pub yard, is that right?

Yes, you have a good memory!  Our cottage was originally linked to the coal wharf we believe that occupied the pub car park area.

Maybe the manager's house/office, it's ornate windows and brickwork are certainly orientated towards the canal and wharf rather than the road behind. 

Regarding the plans;  The owner hasn't mentioned any toy town houses yet but the space is an obvious candidate. He's kept more than one point of access to the road which wouldn't be necessary for one residence.

There's a couple of mature trees in the car park which I'm sure should have TPO's on..

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Come and moor up in Huddersfield.

There are still dozens,perhaps hundreds of old back to backs.

They aint cheap either,they change hands for close on 100K!

There are quite a few along the Colne valley easily accessible from the Huddersfield Narrow if anyone fancies one. 

The Gate Inn is now for sale,  as a closed pub.

No great surprise there, as it will help his change of use application to have it on the market with no offers.

Of course nobody actually knows it's for sale unless you Google it yourself,  there's no signs up on the road or towpath. 

It's on with BFS - uk.businessesforsale.com at 425k freehold. Not a bad price for a canalside pub/restaurant, it can easily work with good food and beer,  and a friendly face behind the bar. Unfortunately for the last few years it's never managed all three together. 

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

The Gate Inn is now for sale,  as a closed pub.

No great surprise there, as it will help his change of use application to have it on the market with no offers.

Of course nobody actually knows it's for sale unless you Google it yourself,  there's no signs up on the road or towpath. 

It's on with BFS - uk.businessesforsale.com at 425k freehold. Not a bad price for a canalside pub/restaurant, it can easily work with good food and beer,  and a friendly face behind the bar. Unfortunately for the last few years it's never managed all three together. 

If its the one we walked out of, I agree, should be a good business for a good businessman, but they would have to get aboard some of the staff. Forget the canal, the location, car park and inside space should means it can do well without the odd bit of canal based business.

On 17/06/2021 at 17:16, noddyboater said:

Yes, you have a good memory!  Our cottage was originally linked to the coal wharf we believe that occupied the pub car park area.

Maybe the manager's house/office, it's ornate windows and brickwork are certainly orientated towards the canal and wharf rather than the road behind. 

Regarding the plans;  The owner hasn't mentioned any toy town houses yet but the space is an obvious candidate. He's kept more than one point of access to the road which wouldn't be necessary for one residence.

There's a couple of mature trees in the car park which I'm sure should have TPO's on..

I've only looked on street view on the phone but I can see one significant tree in the car park, sycamore? It's unlikely to have an existing TPO but you could apply for one, although I would be surprised if it is approved, the areas not short of trees and it's not really of significant local amenity or an outstanding specimen/rare.

The above is purely based on a poor quality image on street view and only my opinion, if you have a very keen local TO they might be sympathetic. 

The next step is the BS5837 survey which should highlight the tree as significant on the site and hopefully recommend retention and protection during the planning and building phase 

47 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Is The Boat at Hayton still open?  With it being another canalside pub less than a mile from The Gate, plus the one in the village centre, I could see that with all three open they might be struggling to make a profit.

The Boat has recently opened again after lockdown.  It's doing ok and is family run, but not owned. Similar to the Gate it relies on food sales but has never been as popular with families for Sunday lunches etc. The moorings are limited to one boat, or two if you're breasted up. You can't moor on the towpath there as it's about 6" deep at the bank.

The village local is a different place entirely now, busy with drinkers but noisy and can be quite an intimidating place on a weekend night. 

The main reason why the Gate hasn't made much money for the tenants (not owner) lately has been their own fault. Variable opening times,  including not opening at all on bank holidays, hit & miss food quality (apart from a pathetic rating of 1 on the hygiene check!), crap cellar skills and letting the outside of the place get generally scruffy. 

Personal issues and other business interests made it a part time hobby and somewhere to live rather than making the best of its potential. 

40 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I've only looked on street view on the phone but I can see one significant tree in the car park, sycamore? It's unlikely to have an existing TPO but you could apply for one, although I would be surprised if it is approved, the areas not short of trees and it's not really of significant local amenity or an outstanding specimen/rare.

The above is purely based on a poor quality image on street view and only my opinion, if you have a very keen local TO they might be sympathetic. 

The next step is the BS5837 survey which should highlight the tree as significant on the site and hopefully recommend retention and protection during the planning and building phase 

Yes, the Sycamore is the one in the car park area.  There's also a mature Ash which borders our drive near the road. I've been in touch with the local TPO chap but he only works 2 days a week and doesn't reply to emails very promptly as yet. Hopefully he's looking into things, but as you say even though the Sycamore is a fine specimen it's not exactly a rare species in the area. 

Would it make a difference if bats were roosting in it?

5 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Yes, the Sycamore is the one in the car park area.  There's also a mature Ash which borders our drive near the road. I've been in touch with the local TPO chap but he only works 2 days a week and doesn't reply to emails very promptly as yet. Hopefully he's looking into things, but as you say even though the Sycamore is a fine specimen it's not exactly a rare species in the area. 

Would it make a difference if bats were roosting in it?

I would be even more surprised if the TO puts a TPO on an Ash nowadays, not sure how Ash is being handled on a BS5837 surveys right now.

Protected species issues will has an effect but it's not directly a TPO issue, it may be a factor in agreeing to place a TPO but someone needs to identify if it's a roost and what type of roost it is, that's not normally something a TO will get involved in, contact your local bat group