Accumulators

BODs SR2

Featured Posts

I have installed an accumulator which is red (Cleghorn Waring). Unfortunately if the water in it is there for some time then the taste is tainted quite noticeably especially if it gets warm. Is there something I can do about this. Cheers. 

I thought the red ones are for hot water / central heating and white ones were for potable water - something to do with the material used for the bladder - is it a "rubbery" taint ?

Looking at the Cleghorn site none of their accumulators are marked either way and some are blue ?

springy

Mine's so old that the only colour you could buy was red and xx years later it still doesn't taste. Come to think of it you shouldn't eally have much water passing through it. It's a buffer to absorb the shocl of turning taps on and off?

I bought a red "accumulator" once from Screwfix that failed within a couple of years because it was meant for CH systems with corrosion inhibitor.

My potable water accumulator is also red so the colour doesn't necessarily tell us much.

Edited by blackrose

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Is this a potable water accumulator or a central heating expansion vessel, there is a big difference.  As it is red it suggests the later to me.

Hi Tracy it’s used for fresh cold water. 

8 hours ago, springy said:

I thought the red ones are for hot water / central heating and white ones were for potable water - something to do with the material used for the bladder - is it a "rubbery" taint ?

Looking at the Cleghorn site none of their accumulators are marked either way and some are blue ?

springy

Hi yes it’s a rubbery taste. 

51 minutes ago, BODs SR2 said:

Hi Tracy it’s used for fresh cold water. 

Hi yes it’s a rubbery taste. 

Then you need a potable water accumulator, the colour doesn’t matter, though some may say convention is blue for cold and red (expansion vessel) for hot.

3 minutes ago, BODs SR2 said:

Ok thanks. Any particular model to go for. 

ToolStation do potable and red heating ones too. look at 57532 and 41665, both for potable water and then you will see the difference between these and the red ones which are not for potable water.