Mooring on Thames near Teddington late in day

Hawksbill

Featured Posts

Please advise, fellow boaters to us as relative novices!....

We purchased our NB a week ago on the Grand Union in Northamptonshire (so looking forward to spending time on it with our kids / grandchildren) and making steady progress towards our home on the River Wey. 

We have booked passage to Thames in main Brentford Lock 101 at around 5.30pm this Wed headed upstream towards Shepperton. But though we’ve had several weeks previously on Thames on hire boats (where we got the river / canal bug) we’ve never been this far downstream on it. My worry is, leaving Brentford as late as 5.30pm so getting through Teddington maybe 8pm and having to moor fairly soon due to light, will we be able to quickly find any mooring on this very busy stretch of river before dark, are mooring spots very limited? Maybe I’m worrying too much but any advice appreciated please. 

Don't fully understand your question.

Brentford to Teddington really is no mooring (except for really experienced boaters), its tidal or semi tidal.

There should be plenty of moorings right above Teddington lock though you might have to pay. Not been there for a while but I think the first night is free.

I would hope that if you lock up through Teddington quite late then the Lock Keepers will find a spot for you.

Its a lovely bit of river.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

Thanks Dave very much for quick reply. Sorry if I wasn’t clear, yes I’m aware we won’t be able to moor before Teddington. What I meant was, by time we’re past Teddington and so able to moor on non tidal section how easy will it be to quickly find a mooring in failing light. But from your answer it seems it should not be too much of a problem (no problem if we need to pay). 

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As Thames says, lots of mooring above Teddington lock but I think you need to pay the lock keeper or nowadays use the car park company via a mobile.

As Teddington is manned 24/7, just talk to the lock keeper about mooring above the lock when you come through, should be able to take the payment (£10 I think) or direct you how to do it online

7 hours ago, Hawksbill said:

Thanks Dave very much for quick reply. Sorry if I wasn’t clear, yes I’m aware we won’t be able to moor before Teddington. What I meant was, by time we’re past Teddington and so able to moor on non tidal section how easy will it be to quickly find a mooring in failing light.

I'm not sure from this post above if you realise, but BELOW Teddington you are on the tideway. Your question is really about ABOVE Teddington, and people have replied on that understanding.

Tam.

32 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I'm not sure from this post above if you realise, but BELOW Teddington you are on the tideway. Your question is really about ABOVE Teddington, and people have replied on that understanding.

Tam.

Yes I meant ABOVE Teddington, sorry for causing any confusion in the topic title, thanks Athy for amending. Thanks for all your replies, really good to know. Great forum this, first time I’ve used it, what a great community. 

There is also Stevens Ait which is an island about 20 minutes up from Teddington. It is an EA mooring but obviously being an island you can't go anywhere without a dinghy or canoe. 

And it is quite likely to be full anyway as not a lot of room. But it is a possible option. Moorings are on the right hand side of the island which you leave to your left, immediately past the Small Boat Club wooden shed. 

To clarify in case of doubt. The parking company arrangement for EA sites does not require booking in for a 24hr stop. 

They tried to introduce this but it is contrary to the TC byelaws. 

So if you are stopping overnight there is no charge on EA moorings* and no need to register on a website. 

*Teddington lock upper layby is a chargeable mooring however, managed by the lock keeper. This is because it is attached to the lock. 

The free 24hr moorings are on EA owned sites not attached to locks. Stevens Ait being an example. 

Edited by magnetman

To cast a bit of gloom - in order to warn you, thereby if / when you do perchance find a mooring, you'l wonder why I was being so miserable.

As with moorings anywhere in thew London area, there are a helluva lot of liveaboards around who care little  for rules or much else it seems - the result is congestion.

We haven't been down to Teddington for aeons but AFAIR the upstream end of the lock 'layby' was a chargeable mooring - but it may be very full. Best to ask the lockie as you pass through.

Stevens Ait is quite small and all-set-about-by goose droppings.

I suggest you have a look here - ThamesVisitorMoorings.co.uk for an idea of what could be available

and 

Where2Moor.co.uk for their chargeable locations - however their idea of a map location is a bit weird (badly researched), but the postcode on it may be a bit more useful.

You may have to be flexible and not insist of a location with a pub nearby ...

Bits of Kingston/Teddington can be a bit congested, but it is light enough until at least 10-1030 so you should be fine if you turn up late-ish

As @Thames Bhaji says, there is plentiful mooring in Kingston, if you don't find anywhere you like near the lock, press on past the road bridge and I can pretty much guarantee that you will find somewhere on the right hand side. You might be woken by joggers, but you can have a cup of tea and watch them sweat.

Kingston public moorings are on the right/starboard bank as you're coming upstream just after the bridge. They used to be free for the fist night but then so were the moorings at Teddington Lock. I don't know if that's still the case.

I used to tie up to some pilings below the lock at the entrance to the weir pool and go to the pub for lunch. The people in the flats used to complain until they realised I was only staying for a couple of hours. You have to be very careful doing that and make sure the boat can rise and fall with the tide.

Hampton Court is nicer than Kingston if you don't need the shops, and only half an hour further. 

Last time I was down that way I did notice the barge walk from sailing club up the the Hampton court moorings has been signed as NO MOORING and it will be patrolled by the park keepers. 

That was always a useful stop if everything else full. 

Once past Molesey you can actually stop just past the lock layby same side and tie to the trees but the flat dwellers might moan. Not really a problem for overnight and another backup option if everything else is completely full.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Hampton Court is nicer than Kingston if you don't need the shops, and only half an hour further. 

Last time I was down that way I did notice the barge walk from sailing club up the the Hampton court moorings has been signed as NO MOORING and it will be patrolled by the park keepers. 

That was always a useful stop if everything else full. 

Once past Molesey you can actually stop just past the lock layby same side and tie to the trees but the flat dwellers might moan. Not really a problem for overnight and another backup option if everything else is completely full.

That's interesting - because HCP was one of the very early sites acquired by pay & pay & pay - which they used as a lever to get the EA moorings job. Also  the Park Police stopped patrolling the lane at the Commandery (or whatever it's called). How times have changed....

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

There is also a superb Lebanese restaurant and Kerala Indian one just along the road if that sort of thing figures in your mooring criteria  ?️

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di