Newbie crew available

Paul66

Featured Posts

My name's Paul, and I'm seriously thinking about buying a NB to live-aboard, but it's many years since I've been on one, and although I get the gist of ropes and locks etc., I could do with a refresher to gain confidence and help me decide whether to go ahead. Hiring a boat for a week seems like a pretty expensive way of getting a 'crash' course, and I wondered if there were any gentle folk / single-crewers who'd be interested in trading their experience and a spare bunk for a helping hand for a week or so? Obviously I'd expect to pay my way... I'm a decent, responsible, double-jabbed 55-year old bloke, living in Sheffield (though not expecting to start at Victoria Quays!)

If you dont get any suitable offers, you could do the RYA Inland Waterways Helmsmans Course. I think it can be done in a day, but we did it over 2 days. IIRC it pretty much covered most things that you need to know on a narrowboat, albeit very quickly. I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt extend it to 4 days, or whatever, and it wouldnt cost as much as hiring for a week.

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

If you dont get any suitable offers, you could do the RYA Inland Waterways Helmsmans Course. I think it can be done in a day, but we did it over 2 days. IIRC it pretty much covered most things that you need to know on a narrowboat, albeit very quickly. I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt extend it to 4 days, or whatever, and it wouldnt cost as much as hiring for a week.

Thanks for this Richard - I'll certainly look into that. Appreciate you getting back to me. Cheers

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, bigray said:

You could join the Chesterfield Canal Trust and then volunteer on one of their boats. They welcome new volunteers and it's a good way to get experience of how different boats handle etc. 

Great stuff - thanks Ray!

12 hours ago, Paul66 said:

Great stuff - thanks Ray!

Better still pop down to Victoria Quays and go to the CaRT office and ask about volunteering on the Sheffield canal, there is always boats coming and going from Sheffield and I’m sure some of the single handed boats would appreciate crew. You could jump on a boat and get the train back anywhere from Rotherham to Doncaster. Not many boats move in Chesterfield with no access to or from.

Edited by PD1964

12 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Better still pop down to Victoria Quays and go to the CaRT office and ask about volunteering on the Sheffield canal, there is always boats coming and going from Sheffield and I’m sure some of the single handed boats would appreciate crew. You could jump on a boat and get the train back anywhere from Rotherham to Doncaster. Not many boats move in Chesterfield with no access to or from.

Thanks PD - planning to do just that on my next free day ?

• 2 months later...
On 14/06/2021 at 18:21, Paul66 said:

My name's Paul, and I'm seriously thinking about buying a NB to live-aboard, but it's many years since I've been on one, and although I get the gist of ropes and locks etc., I could do with a refresher to gain confidence and help me decide whether to go ahead. Hiring a boat for a week seems like a pretty expensive way of getting a 'crash' course, and I wondered if there were any gentle folk / single-crewers who'd be interested in trading their experience and a spare bunk for a helping hand for a week or so? Obviously I'd expect to pay my way... I'm a decent, responsible, double-jabbed 55-year old bloke, living in Sheffield (though not expecting to start at Victoria Quays!)

Hi Paul,

Did you get any offers?

If you're still looking, I'm relocating my boat from 19th-22 September.  It's currently in Staffordshire.  I'm moving it North to Cheshire.

Give me a shout if you're intrested.

Rob

16 minutes ago, Paul66 said:

Hi Rob,

Just a quick reply to say that this looks like a possible for me - just got to double-check some arrangements.

My number 07443 420579 if you fancy a chat later.

Cheers,

Paul

Thank you Paul,  I'll call you this evening if that's okay.

Rob

Hi Anne 'n Oll,

I'm on holiday the following week, and was about to politely decline, when I realised that your journey is relatively short, and not all that far from where I'll be.

So if having an extra hand (plus one?) for 1 day is of any interest, give me a call and we can we see what might work.

Cheers,

Paul

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2021 at 21:52, Richard10002 said:

No good for this year, but from May 2022 and through the summer I can always do with a hand crewing on short or long trips. Leeds based 52ft narrowboat. Single gent in later years.  Get in touch if interested. 

Edited by GraysToo

Hi there,

Thanks for your message. Feeling less of a newbie after a full 3 days moving a boat from Penkridge to Northwich! Not sure of plans into May next year yet, and will hopefully be getting my own boat soon, though I'm getting the impression that now is not a good time to buy.

Hi Paul thanks for responding. Good you’re getting some experience. I’ve spent the last 12 years afloat and now on my 2nd new build. If you would like to discuss anything I’m free most days on my mooring in Clarence dock leeds10.