Expectations for my Budget.

garethcorner

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, garethcorner said:

Yes - the idea is to live aboard with my two dogs. I not afraid of a little cold (ex military). In terms of maintenance and life span what would you say the main points of a GRP cruiser would be?

Thank you. 

I am wanting a live aboard but if kitting out a GRP is mainly just 'work' then with piece of mind I get from the that type of boat I would be totally fine with it. Im reading up on them now. Seems quite a good avenue to explore! 

I have a grp cruiser and although I don't live aboard,I have spent odd weeks away.I will list the things I have learned.

Standing upright in the cabin is I think essential,mine is too small to do that and like me,you would soon get fed up of mincing around the cabin like a gay hunchback dwarf!

A heater is also essential (usually a diesel blown air type)

Hot water on tap makes life easier than boiling a kettle.

Insulation on grp boats is usually carpet or some such material glued to the hull inside,so that needs attention or do as A de E and I do and leave the heater ticking over at night.

If you are going to cruise on narrow canals,ensure that your boat is 6'-10"beam.There was a case on here recently where a chap bought a narrow beam cruiser,and found when he got stuck in a lock,that his boat was 7'-6"!

The Viking boat you have referred to strikes me as a bit dear,and I think one big cabin would be better as a live aboard rather than two small ones.

Outboard engines are fine,but it should be able to tilt up when the leg ploughs the bottom or hits an obstruction.Not all outboards have this feature,ie.locked down in neutral and reverse,but free to swing upwards in forward gear.

I note your location as Stockport,so assume you will at some time cruise the lovely "deep"Rochdale canal.

• Love 1

All great points. Your guys are making this a lot less daunting so I really appreciate the feed back.  Im condensing all the points and looking for a suitable boat as we speak. I am in stockport at the minute yes so Im sure ill be visting the 'deep' Rochdale canal at some point.  

8 minutes ago, garethcorner said:

All great points. Your guys are making this a lot less daunting so I really appreciate the feed back.  Im condensing all the points and looking for a suitable boat as we speak. I am in stockport at the minute yes so Im sure ill be visting the 'deep' Rochdale canal at some point.  

The boat you linked to (whilst I think a little expensive - particularly as it has an OB) is ideal.

It already has a hot water system, it already has a blown air central heater system, 12v fridge and is the correct widths for use on all of the canals.

It is not registered with C&RT but that is a simple phone call or fill in a form on their website and pay £25 (I think) for your registration number plate.

If the boat looks good to you, then make an offer and learn to live with a small generator and learn to live within the constraints of owning a petrol boat (many can and do)

There is no mention of a battery charger in the details so that maybe another 'cost' (Don't buy a cheap on from Halfords, if you do proceed and it doesn't have one ask here for guidance on charger selection)

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - ideally try and find a boat with an inboard diesel engine rather than a petrol outboard.

Petrol is not readily available on the canal network and you will have you walk to a nearest town / village to find a petrol station. The maximum amount of petrol you are legally allowed to store on a boat is 30 litres which, depending on how much you move, will not last long.

The other point is that an Outboard motor only generates enough electricity to recharge its own battery (a very very small alternator - usually around 8-10 amps) You need way, way more than that for a liveaboard boat with phone chargers, lights, pumps, computers etc. so you would need to run a generator most (every ?) days to charge your domestic batteries. More petrol, more restrictions on use and storage for your safety certificate.

Edit to add - a diesel inboard engine will typically have a 70amp alternator

All these points are valid,but I don't entirely agree with them all.

I have not had a problem with obtaining petrol as I have a 20ltr jerrycan and a little sackbarrow so usually only a short walk to a filling station.At canal speeds,I use less than 1 litre per hour.

A solar panel keeps my battery charged although I only have three led lights,a tv and diesel heater,and as my engine has a pull starter,I nearly always use this rather than the electric start to conserve battery power.

An outboard is much cheaper and quieter than an inboard diesel,and doesn't have the rather troublesome and expensive to service and repair outdrive.

These are of course only my personal opinions,the OP will of course have to decide for himself.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, garethcorner said:

I just looked at the one I linked is a little far away but at least I know the type of thing I should be looking for :) 

There is a shortage of good boats and more buyers than there are boats for sale.

You will need to be in a position to drop everything and travel half way across the country within a few hours of the boat being advertised. You will need to have suffcient funds to immediately pay (at least) the deposit.

Brokers have a waiting list of people and before a boat even gets listed they call their 'list' and say "boat coming in tommorow that might meet your requirements - 1st one here gets the 1st crack at it"

Register with all the brokers you can find, tell them what you are looking for and hope they think you are a 'nice chap' and call you 1st.

If you restrict yourself to looking in the North West you will not find a boat.

• Greenie 1