Rules regarding how far you move your boat.

narrowboatmike

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

I wasn't intending to be helpful just pointing out if you stick within the spirit of the guidance there's nothing of concern in the new T&Cs.

Surely the concern is making the acceptance of them part of getting a licence. The Act says differently, the act represents the wishes of parliament. Who are they to override that? Bully boy tactics, hoping no one will risk their assets etc challenging them. Now they are illegally messing about with the Annual Report. I am Chair of trustees of a small charity , I and the board as a whole would be appalled if the staff took such action.

• Greenie 1

The Acts represent the wishes of parliament a long time ago, when both the state of the waterways, their usage and the number of boats on them were very different. Parliament has better things to think about than us, so t&cs are a sensible way of updating the rules. And, as has been said many times, they are simply irrelevant to the majority of boaters who work within the spirit of the original Acts.

Admittedly I've only been a boater for thirty years, both liveaboard and leisure, but I've never come across a problem with either BW or CRT yet.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The Acts represent the wishes of parliament a long time ago, when both the state of the waterways, their usage and the number of boats on them were very different. Parliament has better things to think about than us, so t&cs are a sensible way of updating the rules. And, as has been said many times, they are simply irrelevant to the majority of boaters who work within the spirit of the original Acts.

Admittedly I've only been a boater for thirty years, both liveaboard and leisure, but I've never come across a problem with either BW or CRT yet.

The Act is  still the law, unless parliament decrees otherwise. Meanwhile it can't be overridden if it doesn't suit somebody's whim. As a charity CRT have to abide by the law, just as we do. Surely it matters whether or not it impinges on you? 

12 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

The Act is  still the law, unless parliament decrees otherwise. Meanwhile it can't be overridden if it doesn't suit somebody's whim. As a charity CRT have to abide by the law, just as we do. Surely it matters whether or not it impinges on you? 

Quite so if the law can't be overridden then why worry about ticking a box and accepting T&C's that aren't set in law. It doesn't matter to me because I have never given BW or C&RT any concern over my cruising pattern. When I needed an extra day on a two-day mooring I rang them and they were most accommodating offering more extra days than I needed.

15 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Quite so if the law can't be overridden then why worry about ticking a box and accepting T&C's that aren't set in law. It doesn't matter to me because I have never given BW or C&RT any concern over my cruising pattern. When I needed an extra day on a two-day mooring I rang them and they were most accommodating offering more extra days than I needed.

There are two issues :

1) Allow then to introduce Licence T&Cs that overide the law on movement, and invent a new licence category and then what new rules will they introduce in future, "you can only crusie May to September ? The canals will be closed at all other times".

2) Whilst you may adhere to the law, but not to the T&Cs, when C&RT remove your licence for non adherence, who has the money or the energy or time to take a legal action against C&RT. In this country it is often those with the most money that win, irrespective of rights and wrongs.

• Greenie 1

On 11/06/2021 at 19:03, narrowboatmike said:

Hi , we have a home  leisure mooring but plan to do spend most  of the time off the mooring but usually not cruising very far.

Do we have to follow the same rules as a continuous cruiser in that we have to make progress through the canal system rather 

than ' bridge hop'

I hope the question makes sense.

Thanks, Mike

Just do what you would like to do, if CRT aren't happy with it they will let you know.

Stop worrying and enjoy your boating.

Keith

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are two issues :

1) Allow then to introduce Licence T&Cs that overide the law on movement, and invent a new licence category and then what new rules will they introduce in future, "you can only crusie May to September ? The canals will be closed at all other times".

2) Whilst you may adhere to the law, but not to the T&Cs, when C&RT remove your licence for non adherence, who has the money or the energy or time to take a legal action against C&RT. In this country it is often those with the most money that win, irrespective of rights and wrongs.

And when you do end up in court CRT allegedly (hi Debbie figgy?) send papers to old addresses despite having the right one, claim they have a High Court Order for their actions, change paperwork etc etc. There is no call for this sort of behaviour. Happened with the Post Office too. They now have a large legal bill and compensation to pay. 

It is the ethos behind all these shenanigans that worries me. No attempt to play fair within the rules that are extant. 

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

And when you do end up in court CRT allegedly (hi Debbie figgy?) send papers to old addresses despite having the right one, claim they have a High Court Order for their actions, change paperwork etc etc. There is no call for this sort of behaviour. Happened with the Post Office too. They now have a large legal bill and compensation to pay. 

It is the ethos behind all these shenanigans that worries me. No attempt to play fair within the rules that are extant. 

CART, the school-boating NBTA rule-benders. or both?

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

CART, the school-boating NBTA rule-benders. or both?

Do you not think CRT should abide by the law, as a public body? A yes or no will do, keep it simple.

As should NBTA, just like the rest of us boaters. Use the bylaws to sort out overstayers etc as the EA do.

I suspect your maths is faulty though, thinking 2 wrongs add up to a right. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jim Riley said:

Do you not think CRT should abide by the law, as a public body? A yes or no will do, keep it simple.

As should NBTA, just like the rest of us boaters. Use the bylaws to sort out overstayers etc as the EA do.

I suspect your maths is faulty though, thinking 2 wrongs add up to a right. 

That wasn't what I was asking, I was just trying to find out who you thought were bending the rules.

CART have partly got themselves into this mess by allowing the NBTA (and the press) to coerce them into the "family-near-school" exemption, which is clearly against the spirit of their own CC rules, as written down in their own documents.

But if they try and win court cases by cheating -- assuming this is deliberate, not sheer incompetence -- this is wrong, if they can't win in a fair legal fight they deserve to lose.

The NBTA keeps playing the "but think of the children and poor homeless boaters!" card (especially in the press) to try and justify the actions of boaters who quite clearly are not keeping to the rules -- in all the cases I can think of on rivers and canals, this is their strategy. They seem to just want people to be able to turn the canals and rivers into a congested cheap linear housing estate, regardless of safety or the interests of anybody else.

So I agree, two wrongs don't make a right ?

3 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

Just do what you would like to do, if CRT aren't happy with it they will let you know.

Stop worrying and enjoy your boating.

Keith

Hey, that's what my wife keeps saying to me. We've been back and forth between 

the said mooring spot and our marina mooring. 3 - 5 days at the mooring and then 

returning to the marina for a couple of days, cassettes emptied , water tank filled  then

back out. We will be trying other mooring spots usually within  a ten mile radius.

22 minutes ago, narrowboatmike said:

Hey, that's what my wife keeps saying to me. We've been back and forth between 

the said mooring spot and our marina mooring. 3 - 5 days at the mooring and then 

returning to the marina for a couple of days, cassettes emptied , water tank filled  then

back out. We will be trying other mooring spots usually within  a ten mile radius.

You'll be fine, but though it's nice at the top of the hill, there are fierce wolves, don't come cluttering my bit of canal!!!!! One thing to keep an eye on, between Tod and Hebden, especially if you are leaving the boat, is the flood situation/risk. I try to leave the boat just before a lock, uphill of the lock, so that floods can't lift the boat onto the bank, hopefully the water will drop over the lock. There is a sani point in Tod, one over the hill in Littleborough and a water point half way up the hill on the offside in Walsden. 

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

You'll be fine, but though it's nice at the top of the hill, there are fierce wolves, don't come cluttering my bit of canal!!!!! One thing to keep an eye on, between Tod and Hebden, especially if you are leaving the boat, is the flood situation/risk. I try to leave the boat just before a lock, uphill of the lock, so that floods can't lift the boat onto the bank, hopefully the water will drop over the lock. There is a sani point in Tod, one over the hill in Littleborough and a water point half way up the hill on the offside in Walsden. 

Thanks Jim,  all good advice and my wife's especially pleased about the water point at Walsden.