How lucky are we to have this fantastic canal system.

harleyj

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, harleyj said:

As we all know, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and  after nearly three years not being able to enjoy this remarkable system we are back and loving it. 

Glad you are liking it!  but where exactly is "this remarkable system"?

It's not around my area!

Are we talking a canal in the UK? 
I didn't realise there was one without any problems. Try the Rochdale, Leeds & Liverpool, the Huddersfield, the Calder, the Aire & Calder, Selby, Ripon, the North Stratford etc and let me know how you get on I am hoping to get back to our home mooring later this year.

On the plus side for just £9.75 you can get to see photos of the canal now and if you are an admirer of blue signs you may spot one or a hundred on your travels. 

7 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I didn't realise there was one without any problems. Try the Rochdale, Leeds & Liverpool, the Huddersfield, the Calder, the Aire & Calder, Selby, Ripon, the North Stratford etc and let me know how you get on I am hoping to get back to our home mooring later this year.

On the plus side for just £9.75 you can get to see photos of the canal now and if you are an admirer of blue signs you may spot one or a hundred on your travels. 

North Stratford? What’s wrong with that. Cruised it last week.

I can’t comment on northern canals but the Midlands is OK.

10 minutes ago, Midnight said:

You forgot to mention the river Trent?

16 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

You forgot to mention the river Trent?

included in "etc"

20 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

North Stratford? What’s wrong with that. Cruised it last week.

I can’t comment on northern canals but the Midlands is OK.

Oh some good news Shirley Drawbridge has been fixed and quite quickly too. 

I must add we have been on the River Nene for a week and the standard of the EA locks is far better than we are used to. All paddles easy to wind, only one or two heavy gates, no self-openers or closers, all electrics working . One was slow but had a notice to say it had been fitted with a temporary motor rather than closing it.  

"How lucky are we to have this fantastic river system"

Edited by Midnight

14 minutes ago, Midnight said:

included in "etc"

Oh some good news Shirley Drawbridge has been fixed and quite quickly too. 

So quick I didn’t know it had been closed. Used it on my way home last autumn and on my way out this spring. It usually ends up closed to road traffic if damaged because there’s a pretty easy diversion.

Hockley Heath drawbridge had some problems but that was over a year ago.

46 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I must add we have been on the River Nene for a week and the standard of the EA locks is far better than we are used to. All paddles easy to wind, only one or two heavy gates, no self-openers or closers, all electrics working . One was slow but had a notice to say it had been fitted with a temporary motor rather than closing it.  

"How lucky are we to have this fantastic river system"

Thats one of the reasons I wont be coming back to the canals, Locks that work make boating a pleasure ;)

Enjoy your time on EA Anglian waterways.

3 hours ago, harleyj said:

As we all know, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and  after nearly three years not being able to enjoy this remarkable system we are back and loving it. 

You are so right, its a fantastic system that costs absolutely peanuts to be on. Full length licence works out at less than 25 quid a week, immensely good VFM in any reasoning.

• Greenie 3