incinerating loos

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, booke23 said:

Presumably. Obviously vented outside on it's external chimney, but you probably wouldn't want to stand downwind of it! The article mentioned the boat has two toilets, the other one being of the composting variety and that they tend to only use the incinerator toilet for solids. 

Presumably then the composting toilet is rarely used, as you don't use a composting toilets for liquid (you pee in a bottle and tip it over the side, or in a hegde)

7 hours ago, booke23 said:

Presumably. Obviously vented outside on it's external chimney, but you probably wouldn't want to stand downwind of it! The article mentioned the boat has two toilets, the other one being of the composting variety and that they tend to only use the incinerator toilet for solids. 

Imagine what happens if you decide you need a wee and a poo…..

You can pee and poo in the loo

i think it’s cool, the tiny amount of ash is so tiny

whos looked at the videos, and are, are not impressed

our marinas not keen on waterless loos

so we’ve had to book a time tomorrow to get rid of our poo at the local tip tomorrow.

after all the above

is their such a thing we can incinerate it like a b/q, but more powerfull of course, like a kiln??

can imagine all boating neighbours, sitting round the the fire pit. ? ? 

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

And the wee is 100% water and stinks when its boiled, does steam come out of the vent in use?

From what I recall the Cinderella has a separate compartment for liquids, much like a composting toilet. Only the solids are burned.

Edited by Thomas C King

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

None that I know have closed….and some of us are working with CRT to ensure it stays that way and more possibly are added. 

No it was on a thread that quite a few had closed, composting loo thread I think? I know of one at least that's gone forever along with toilet and shower 

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

No it was on a thread that quite a few had closed, composting loo thread I think? I know of one at least that's gone forever along with toilet and shower 

I shall search the thread out. Which one do you know has closed? If the shit in a bag brigade keep going I can see refuse points being removed too….so called composting just moves the problem 

Just now, frangar said:

I shall search the thread out. Which one do you know has closed? If the shit in a bag brigade keep going I can see refuse points being removed too….so called composting just moves the problem 

One on the Trent can't remember which lock but my mate Alan who is always on there told me as we cried past to a different lock!

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably then the composting toilet is rarely used, as you don't use a composting toilets for liquid (you pee in a bottle and tip it over the side, or in a hegde)

I suppose they still use it for solids late at night, as the incinerator is loud. But yeah, their composting toilet is effectively an expensive adapter/pee bottle holder. I wonder in hindsight, having the luxury of two toilets if they wished they'd just installed a pump out and cassette for half the price of their current setup. 

What would you all advise? If you were actually building a new boat and decided to have two toilets what type would you install?

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

I suppose they still use it for solids late at night, as the incinerator is loud. But yeah, their composting toilet is effectively an expensive adapter/pee bottle holder. I wonder in hindsight, having the luxury of two toilets if they wished they'd just installed a pump out and cassette for half the price of their current setup. 

What would you all advise? If you were actually building a new boat and decided to have two toilets what type would you install?

Pump out & cassette. Best of both worlds. There’s places eg Liverpool where if you are stopping for a few days/week the extra capacity of a pump out is handy. Cassette/porta potty is handy if you are iced in etc. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Well our usage is not just canals and rivers so we have a cassette system, and, a sea toilet (that pumps directly out of the boat) that can be diverted to a small pump-out tank for use in marinas or harbours, or areas where dumping in the sea is not allowed.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, frangar said:

Yes true.  I’m pushing for that to be reopened or rebuilt. The septic tank failed and there are difficulties with the land it is on 

Good, it's a handly placed one on the Llan, next one I think is Ellesmere and that's a fair way if you just want to bimble slowly 

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Good, it's a handly placed one on the Llan, next one I think is Ellesmere and that's a fair way if you just want to bimble slowly 

Indeed. It’s even handy to nip to it off the shroppie at times. As ever things in CRT world don’t move quickly but I’m trying my best! 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Pump out & cassette. Best of both worlds. There’s places eg Liverpool where if you are stopping for a few days/week the extra capacity of a pump out is handy. Cassette/porta potty is handy if you are iced in etc. 

Yes, I think that's what I would go for too.