Old Maps

CanalWalker

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if old maps of canals are published? Pre-1945 or earlier? How far back do Nicholson go?

I'm not actually sure when the first guide maps came about - but I suppose you have to take into account that pleasure boating didn't come around properly, until the late 60's, early 70's.

Most of the 1945 guides may also be "out of date" as I know they've shifted a few locks, diverted tunnels and basically changed, in effect, the navigaton.. and there's the pubs and places of interest in towns and the like which would of definately changed.

Maybe if you let us know what specific information you're looking for, we could help in that department? :)

Edited by Liam

(redstarafloat @ Mar 29 2005, 09:11 PM)

Does anyone know if old maps of canals are published? Pre-1945 or earlier? How far back do Nicholson go?

Sorry redstarafloat but the Nicholsons Guides only started in 1983 so won't be of much help. :)

I have a "new edition" of an Inlands Waterways of England & Wales" dated 1980, so presumably the publishers Imray Laurie Norie And Wilson Ltd of St Ives Huntingdon published maps prior to Nicholsons. Regretably I do not know when they started. However on the back of the map it advertises a book as follows:

"Inland Waterways of Great Britain" L.A.Edwards 1972

The only publication that gives clearly & concisely the vital statistics of all navigable waterways in Engand Scotland & Wales.

Tobytimothy.

They've diverted some of our tunnels?? Gosh so thats why they've got kinks in them now!

On a more serious note old maps of canals pre 1900's can be found via the website old maps (http://www.old-maps.co.uk/) though they are certainly not navigation guides of any sort.

Harecastle, for example... :)

The real authority is "Hadfields". If you can find a copy you will find a vast amount of detail. There was never many maps available of the entire system because the canals were built by dozens of independent and competing companies, until recent times times the waterways were not regarded as "a system".

L A Edwards (Teddy Edwards) was one of the few who was writing maps and guides, but not much pre war I believe, he died just a few years ago.

I am not convinced the Nicholson was in date when it was new in 1983!

I am trying to find the original canal terminus in Liverpool. I have one map from 1908-ish. But i want an earlier one. I would like to see the rest of the canal before WW2. The Rufford branch/River Douglas changed a lot over the years and I woudl like to see old maps of that.

Any old guide books (pre-1980) would be interesting.

• 4 weeks later...