Llangollen, help please

haggis

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, haggis said:

Thank you! I have heard a lot of comments about the tree problem on the Llangollen . Without me asking, I hasten to add 

This is an unashamed plug for NABO. We do quietly get a lot done for the benefit of all us boaters. CRT rely on boater apathy so don't let them! https://nabo.org.uk/index.php/join-us/types-of-membership

• Greenie 4

3 minutes ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

I heard a rumour that the reservoir supplying the Llangollen is low. Is anyone else aware of this? We are at Nantwich and ready to begin the Llangollen but could easily postpone it until later in the year. 

When we arrived at the top lock the lady volunteer lockie told us that as the reservoir level was low they were preserving water and for us to wait till the boat in the flight got to the top (no problem as we weren't in a rush) . I glanced over at the reservoir but as I don't know what it looks like normally, I don't know if it was low or not ? . I hadn't noticed any low pounds on the way down and water was going over all the weirs. 

The grass round the reservoir was being cut and I don't remember seeing any bits of earth showing between the grass and the water but as I said, it was only a glance. 

haggis

13 minutes ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

I heard a rumour that the reservoir supplying the Llangollen is low. Is anyone else aware of this? We are at Nantwich and ready to begin the Llangollen but could easily postpone it until later in the year. 

The river dee supplies the Llangollen....and drinking water for a few places from the reservoir at Hurleston....if the dee dries up there will be a few issues!

19 minutes ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

I think there may be some confusion, there is no resevoir supplying the Llangollen (it is supplied by the River Dee), but the Llangollen does supply the reservoir at the bottom end of the canal - this reservoir is the water supply for much of Cheshire.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think there may be some confusion, there is no resevoir supplying the Llangollen (it is supplied by the River Dee), but the Llangollen does supply the reservoir at the bottom end of the canal - this reservoir is the water supply for much of Cheshire.

The River Dee is fed by Llyn Tegid ( Bala lake) which is controlled according to how much water is needed down stream. Also the Afon Tryweryn flows into the Dee. This river is also controlled by a dam release from Llyn Tryweryn. Surprised @Alan de Enfield did not know this.

The priority of the reservoir at the bottom of the Llangollen is the eater supply to drinkers. That reservoir keep the lock flight topped up, but if it's low, the lockies aren't allowed to fill the pounds from it but have to wait til they can use the normal flow.

4 hours ago, frangar said:

The river dee supplies the Llangollen....and drinking water for a few places from the reservoir at Hurleston....if the dee dries up there will be a few issues!

Yes, the only thing the reservoir level could effect is Hurlstone or the Mont because excess water through ether of those would starve the reservoir 

On 11/06/2021 at 18:26, jocave said:

Can't really see anything that's a cause for concern,  usual liveaboards that complain about speed, that's about it , If I pass you too fast , learn to moor properly,  if I pass you too fast and you threaten to call the police,get a life and stop being such a miserable old git , just chill out and enjoy the Llangollen .

Hear hear pissed off by boaters who's boats are rusted to the bottom of the canal shouting that Ive split their cheap Tesco lager or earl Grey tea depending on what end of society they are in. just because my engine is on and the cheek to also be in gear does NOT mean I am going to fast!

• Greenie 1

On 16/06/2021 at 20:03, wandering snail said:

This is an unashamed plug for NABO. We do quietly get a lot done for the benefit of all us boaters. CRT rely on boater apathy so don't let them! https://nabo.org.uk/index.php/join-us/types-of-membership

I would love to join a group who would focus on applying pressure to C&RT over maintenance and stoppages but NABO is it. A quick look at their website and they seem more troubled by  the new terms and conditions. 

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

I would love to join a group who would focus on applying pressure to C&RT over maintenance and stoppages but NABO is it. A quick look at their website and they seem more troubled by  the new terms and conditions. 

Certainly this is one of NABO's concerns at the moment along with the loss of waterway's heritage, attending regional forums where stoppages and maintenance issues are discussed and the APPWG where NABO's views are respected, taken notice of and often acted on, all to the benefit of boaters both with and without a home mooring. Most recently, the problems of overhanging trees on the LLangollen that was highlighted on here by Haggis was brought up by NABO in a CRT attended meeting and as a result, action will now be taken.

Now that we are home, I have emailed my comments about the Llangollen to C &RT and to NABO (we are members). 

It was a fantastic trip and it was good to finally get to the end again and walk up to Horse shoe falls. 

haggis