Llangollen, help please

haggis

Featured Posts

As you know we are on the Llangollen just now and to be honest we are appalled at the trees growing on both sides of the canal in places.. These trees greatly reduce the line of sight and are making it so difficult for first time boaters ( and others) that screw ups are occurring because of  the situation. I was chatting to a couple of C&RT guys and mentioned it and  I  was told that the work has been in the last two winter maintenance programs but has been postponed both times. The guys said that if they get a lot of feedback about the trees from boaters  the management might see it as a priority and something might be done.

It would be very helpful for the Llangollen if a few CWDF guys and gals could sent C&RT a message about how bad it is and that it will discourage use of the canal if the overhanging trees are not attended to. 

Believe me folks, the situation is dire with the line of sight often being less than the length of a boat.

Thanks, Haggis

• Greenie 3

Better to tell CaRT that the overhanging trees are interfering with people cycling and walking. Much more chance of seeing some action. Or tell them that getting your hat knocked in to the water by branches is bad for your well being.?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Better to tell CaRT that the overhanging trees are interfering with people cycling and walking. Much more chance of seeing some action. Or tell them that getting your hat knocked in to the water by branches is bad for your well being.?

Lol. Sad but probably true.

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I can certainly confirm that swerving to avoid the sharp end of an overhanging branch while passing an oncoming cyclist who didn't slow down is invigoratingly refreshing on a hot June day -- still, at least it didn't take my eye out...

My trusty OnePlus phone was only a fortnight short of its fifth birthday, but even a couple of days in a desiccator hasn't brought it back to life ?

Can't really see anything that's a cause for concern,  usual liveaboards that complain about speed, that's about it , If I pass you too fast , learn to moor properly,  if I pass you too fast and you threaten to call the police,get a life and stop being such a miserable old git , just chill out and enjoy the Llangollen .

• Unimpressed 2

20 minutes ago, jocave said:

Can't really see anything that's a cause for concern,  usual liveaboards that complain about speed, that's about it , If I pass you too fast , learn to moor properly,  if I pass you too fast and you threaten to call the police,get a life and stop being such a miserable old git , just chill out and enjoy the Llangollen .

Who is complaining about boats passing to fast, who needs to chill out?

Just come off the Llangollen after a four day hire with Black Prince at Chirk, rammed head on by a presumably new boat owner who was on the wrong side and steaming along at a great rate of knots! Then seconds later nearly T boned by his mate also giving it large!

Otherwise a nice trip.???

12 minutes ago, Ian F B said:

Just come off the Llangollen after a four day hire with Black Prince at Chirk, rammed head on by a presumably new boat owner who was on the wrong side and steaming along at a great rate of knots! Then seconds later nearly T boned by his mate also giving it large!

And that could have happened anywhere

40 minutes ago, StephenA said:

53 minutes ago, Ian F B said:

It didn't happen where the skippers couldn't see one another because of overhanging trees, by any chance? ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StephenA said:

On the C+H last week had a Shire Cruisers hireboat coming towards me and he was close to the edge of the canal on his left,(my right)

I held my line untill it was obvious he wasn't going to move over to pass port to port.I moved over and we passed stbd to stbd.

I did say as we passed that we are supposed to pass port to port,and he replied "oh right" and promtly moved over to the right side of the canal and went chugging off close to the right hand side.

Can't believe that Shire Cruisers didn't give a complete briefing.It's likely they did,but this bloke wasn't listening.

18 hours ago, haggis said:

It didn't happen where the skippers couldn't see one another because of overhanging trees, by any chance? ?

No,it was on a sharp bend,no trees were injured during the incident!!!!???

• Haha 1

I can certainly confirm that swerving to avoid the sharp end of an overhanging branch while passing an oncoming cyclist who didn't slow down is invigoratingly refreshing on a hot June day -- still, at least it didn't take my eye out...

How is bank maintenance financed these days ? The CRT should maintain the navigation and has the responsibility to do so, but they also have the problem of balancing finances especially to pay for the unplanned incidents such as breaches and reservoir dam issues.

As to the speeding cyclist -did that person end up in the cut?

There is another aspect where the vegetation which lines the waterway is conserved and where the ecologist can suggest the retention of certain species, such as the reed banks than can limit navigation 

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

How is bank maintenance financed these days ? The CRT should maintain the navigation and has the responsibility to do so, but they also have the problem of balancing finances especially to pay for the unplanned incidents such as breaches and reservoir dam issues.

As to the speeding cyclist -did that person end up in the cut?

There is another aspect where the vegetation which lines the waterway is conserved and where the ecologist can suggest the retention of certain species, such as the reed banks than can limit navigation 

No, I did ?

Edited by IanD

6 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

NABO's CCing rep raised this problem at the CRT Stoppages Review meeting yesterday after I saw your OP. Other boaters reps and CRT staff were also concerned so hoping it will at last be dealt with.

Thank you! I have heard a lot of comments about the tree problem on the Llangollen . Without me asking, I hasten to add