Argg! Who has successfully fitted fibreglass porthole liners?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Is that super glue your using? Get some Stixall that should stick them if they are clean and prepped and put enough on all the way around or a good quality grab adhesive.

We just put a bead on that edge, to meet the window tape in the hope it would help. We got desperate! (It didn't help) Using grab adhesive elsewhere for the blocks we tried etc.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not sure that used engine oil can replace Acetone.

Engine oil? As if! 2 pack blacking sir!  ?

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Ally said:

We just put a bead on that edge, to meet the window tape in the hope it would help. We got desperate! (It didn't help) Using grab adhesive elsewhere for the blocks we tried etc.

You might have to take some off the depth as it sounds like you have not got a good contact with the flange(where the black tape is stuck) and the wall, I would fill that with Stixall or a good grab adhesive and not have it touching the window. 

5 hours ago, Ally said:

I had wondered if expanding foam might work. Knowing how well it sticks, if we braced it again it might just hold it? 

I was thinking more of filling the concave bit of the flange before it is fitted, it may end up misshapen to fix with it - unless you choose a foam that has minimal expansion. 

• Greenie 1

I used a hefty bead of window frame sealant ( acrylic) which bonded well to the ply walls and filled any gaps. Needed bracing whilst it set. Cutting the liners depth was a faff - they are a mm or two from the window frame.

F3054121-692C-4DA9-8B85-81DC62ADAF7D.jpeg

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Woodwych said:

I used a hefty bead of window frame sealant ( acrylic) which bonded well to the ply walls and filled any gaps. Needed bracing whilst it set. Cutting the liners depth was a faff - they are a mm or two from the window frame.

F3054121-692C-4DA9-8B85-81DC62ADAF7D.jpeg

Thanks for that! I was beginning to wonder if anyone had actually managed to successfully install these! Good to know. Still waiting on response from the manufacturer about it.

I have fitted one of these tons large bus window in the galley.  This is much larger and heavier than yours so what works for me might work for you. 

On removing my window and original moisture damaged MDF (?) trim, I found that my sprayfoam insulation stopped at the wood battening, leaving a void between the window and the batten, leading to condensation forming on the steel side and aluminium window frame in that void which was my problem.  To correct this, I used closed cell foam sheet cut to fit (and fill) the void. With this in place, the fibre glass simply(ish!) pushed in between the foam and the window frame. It's pretty secure even at 4' long, so you may not need any additional fixing method.

• Greenie 1